Interesting Facts about Jackie Jensen

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: Interesting Facts about Jackie Jensen

A great player, including defensively; he could have been HOF bound if not for his fear of flying. This is one guy the mighty Yankees goofed on.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Nice to see that all people from the Bay area aren't all leftist nut jobs. I enjoyed reading the article in that link.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from silversteinsox. Show silversteinsox's posts

I was a sad little kid the day that I heard that Jensen was going to retire due to his phobia about flying. What an outfield that was with Williams. Piersall, and Jensen. Sammy White was a darn good catcher also. However it was the 1950s and the Yankees had their farm team in the major leagues (Kansas City). Yankww boss Topping slipped money under the table to his business partner who owned KC. The Commissioner looked the other way. Sad years for baseball.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

In Response to Re: Interesting Facts about Jackie Jensen:
    I was a sad little kid the day that I heard that Jensen was going to retire due to his phobia about flying. What an outfield that was with Williams. Piersall, and Jensen. Sammy White was a darn good catcher also. However it was the 1950s and the Yankees had their farm team in the major leagues (Kansas City). Yankww boss Topping slipped money under the table to his business partner who owned KC. The Commissioner looked the other way. Sad years for baseball.
    Posted by silversteinsox

I shared your saddness when Jackie retired, silverstein;  he was one of my absolute favorites.  He was lightening fast, and built like a bull.  By the way, you mentioned Sammy White; his was one of only three autographs I ever  was able to get as a kid.  (the other 2 were Frank Sullivan, and Tom Brewer)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunslav. Show sunslav's posts

I saw Bob Porterfield and Brewer pitch in my first trip to Fenway in 1957. Saw Ted hit a double. Sat near Pesky's Pole so got a good view of Jensen. Have a baseball that I bought that was signed by the whole team and assume the signatures were legitimate.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]I was a sad little kid the day that I heard that Jensen was going to retire due to his phobia about flying. What an outfield that was with Williams. Piersall, and Jensen. Sammy White was a darn good catcher also. However it was the 1950s and the Yankees had their farm team in the major leagues (Kansas City). Yankww boss Topping slipped money under the table to his business partner who owned KC. The Commissioner looked the other way. Sad years for baseball.
    Posted by silversteinsox[/QUOTE]

This was clearly a controversial subject, with some dark undertones. But, naturally, you're twisting it. The A's organization benefitted as well. For a majority of the facts, check the book "The Kansas City A's and the Wrong Half of the Yankees". BTW, this is not that far removed from what Branch Rickey did with the Cardinals and Dodgers, or John McGraw with the Giants and NL Orioles, or Connie Mack with the A's, and/or what a good Front Office would do in general given the resources. And it wasn't the Yankees' fault that Yawkey decided to make his team a country club instead of a bunch of focused players; or that Harry Frazee was loose with the purse strings for wine, women, and song, resulting in the Ruth sale and the destruction of that great Red Sox team of 1912-1918. In fact, you could say Frazee & RS turned Yankee FO HOFer Ed Barrow were the first architects of that magnificent Yankee dynasty between the '20s and '60s.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Nice to see that all people from the Bay area aren't all leftist nut jobs. I enjoyed reading the article in that link.
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]

Oh, there are plenty of right-wing nut jobs here.
    And, believe it or not, both are capable of supplying pertinent information.
    Nice that you have such an 'open' mind.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts