Interesting on Today's Lineup

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Interesting on Today's Lineup

Today's lineup features Reddick in RF and Sutton in LF. After sitting out yesterday's game, Carl Crawford is out of the lineup again today.

He's been slumping the last two games he's played, but he's only 1 1/2 weeks
    back from his stint on the DL.

Very intersting.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Re: Interesting on Today's Lineup

Is it another lefty on the mound, or are the Sox auditioning Sutton?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Proof positive that the Sox opened their pocketbooks blindly, not having any idea that Ellsbury would come back the way he did, and figuring Crawford would be doing what Ellsbury IS DOING for far less money right now. Crawford is another JD Drew in the making. Sad.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Re: Interesting on Today's Lineup:
    [QUOTE]Is it another lefty on the mound, or are the Sox auditioning Sutton?
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

No lefty, and what do you mean about auditioning? He'd only be a throw in on any deal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

danny, its still too soon to say on Crawford. i think francona has taken the opportunity to rest players during this series, heading into the stretch run and hopefully, beyond.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I have a slightly different view about Crawford. 

First, I completely agree that he makes J.D. Drew look like one of the great bargains of the 21st century.  He ain't earning his pay, not by a longshot.

But.  He also isn't playing for the Rays, and the Rays were consistently in the playoffs when Carl Crawford played for them.  This year the Rays are very unlikely to make the playoffs, moonslav's unending threads about them notwithstanding. 

So, even though Crawford ain't earning his pay, taking him away from Tampa appears to have helped guarantee the Sox get into the playoffs in 2011. 

In no way does this thesis justify spending $142M for a guy who can't hit spit, but it does--to me, anyway--mitigate things a little. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Not sure what Danny is saying. What did Ellsbury have to do with the Crawford signing?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Auditioning in the sense that if you are arguing he has trade value to another team as a super sub, they may want to see him play the OF.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I understand what Danny said perfectly.  After last season, no one was sure what Ellsbury was going to do.  Crawford's skill set is almost identicial.  Ironically, Crawford had seen a boost in HR power over the last few years and was seen as the one having more power.

But let's not forget that Crawford was not the first choice.  Werth was.  When Werth signed his big contract, it put the Red Sox in a tough positioin, trying to out bid the Angels.  Right now we could be dissing Werth.  And the Angels saw Crawford as being just as worthy of the money.

If the Sox FO had a crystal ball, they could have passed on Crawford and had Reddick in LF, Ells in CF and Drew in RF.  But who knew Reddick would play like this, or that Ellsbury would not only make a comeback, but do so as a tranformed hitter?

Still, if they HAD passed on Crawford, they would still really be in need of an offensive upgrade in RF, and forced to trade a really good prospect for a 2 month (hopefully 3) rental in Beltran.  So, one could say that part of Crawford's salary is helping to keep good young talent in the pipeline!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

So, one could say that part of Crawford's salary is helping to keep good young talent in the pipeline!

And it will continue to keep good young talent in the pipeline for another 6 years !! I hope this works out better then Drew but so far it ain't looking to good !!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

The problem with Crawford is 100% front office...he NEVER had the talent or put up the numbers worthy of that contract.  That's why when they signed him I was stunned.  At least with Drew he had a year or 2 that somewhat justified his contract at the begnning.  

He's never had an on base percentage higher than .364...his career high in HR's was last year with 19.  his highest BA was 2007 at .315.  if you lumped all of his "career year" numbers together maybe he's worth that money.  a stat line of .315, with 19 HR's and 60 SB's.  Still I don't think so...

I don't blame Crawford for signing a horrible contract.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

I may add that I'm Shocked that Tito has the backbone to bench Crawford 2 days in a row !! Hopefully This benching, by a manager that will stick with a player no matter how bad they are doing, will serve as a wakeup call !! It wasn't only Theo that thought this guy would be a great addition, I traded to get him on my Fantasy team !!  LOL

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

My feeling was that the Sox had more than enough lefty hitters (Ortiz, AGon, Ellsbury, the catcher combo-both switch hitters, Drew, Kalish, Reddick) and they really needed a RH power bat to complement Youkilis, Pedroia, SS....Instead even at the time of Crawford's signing, if you didn't immediately think what I was thinking "another lefty hitter so that lefty pitchers could feast on Sox pitching??"...don't know what to say then. Theo blindly signed him, once again utilizing the "best available" option something they did with Lackey. Well if the best available isn't really the best for your team, why waste the money? Now, again, there is a great upside to Crawford too, now that he is here for the duration, and with the team playing extremely well despite his lack of production. But come on, sitting this guy constantly for lefty pitchers is certainly JD Drew all over again. 142 million for a platoon guy, really? really, Theo/Tito??

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

You can afford to have the luxury of sitting Crawford v lefties, but if you all think that, then again, the Sox could have spent 10 million on a platoon OF, one better than Darnell McDonald. Guys making this ton of money should be 'every-day players,' not sitting v lefties. But again, the lineup is always top heavy lefty. AGON was the main target, sox got him. Now the argument that it hurt Tampa, that is certainly a valid argument, and one that still makes me feel the Sox are overspending to kill competition...not a good thing for baseball in general.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Crawford is sitting today because he strained his elbow.From Boston.com:

Carl Crawford said this morning that he has a strained left elbow and had a cortisone injection on Tuesday night. He hopes to return to the lineup tomorrow night in Chicago.

"It has been bothering me for a little while, more when I throw than with my swing. But a little there, too," he said. "Hopefully this will clear it up."

Crawford was on the disabled list from June 17 to July 18 with a strained left hamstring. He is hitting .248 with six home runs and 36 RBIs in his first season with the Red Sox

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Sox are in a long stretch without an off day. Tito is trying to rest guys to keep them fresh. But two straight days?  I wonder if he is sending a message to Crawford, who has been striking out far too often and not looking too sharp in the field, either.  It really is time for Carl to step it up and play like he has in the past.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

In Response to Re: Interesting on Today's Lineup:
    [QUOTE]I have a slightly different view about Crawford.  First, I completely agree that he makes J.D. Drew look like one of the great bargains of the 21st century.  He ain't earning his pay, not by a longshot. But.  He also isn't playing for the Rays, and the Rays were consistently in the playoffs when Carl Crawford played for them.  This year the Rays are very unlikely to make the playoffs, moonslav's unending threads about them notwithstanding.  So, even though Crawford ain't earning his pay, taking him away from Tampa appears to have helped guarantee the Sox get into the playoffs in 2011.  In no way does this thesis justify spending $142M for a guy who can't hit spit, but it does--to me, anyway--mitigate things a little. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

taking him away from Tampa appears to have helped guarantee the Sox get into the playoffs in 2011.

I'll give you points for creativity max

but neither one of us thinks TB would have resigned him, right?

the way he used to kill the sox I guess we can expand your thought to

we kept him from all our opponents ;-)

he's a very good player and I would be shocked  if he doesn't get it going soon

that said , he wouldn't be the 1st guy that couldn't handle the big market

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Crawford has an elbow strain and has had one for a few days.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Danny, I cannot abide you on this one.  Theo did not sign Craford "blindly."  What he did not have is a crystal ball.  But Crawford was the best OF available in FA last winter, and one could argue he was better than what had been available the previous year, and in the following (this coming off-season) year, as well.  That is why the Angels and Sox ponied up that much money in an offer.  Remember, if the Sox do not offer him 7 years at 20/million a year average, the Angels would have done it for 6 years at the same annual salary.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Crawford out with elbow strain
    Permalink|Comments (0) Posted by Peter Abraham, Globe Staff July 28, 2011 11:10 AM
    By Peter Abraham, Globe Staff

Carl Crawford said this morning that he has a strained left elbow and had a cortisone injection on Tuesday night. He hopes to return to the lineup tomorrow night in Chicago.

"It has been bothering me for a little while, more when I throw than with my swing. But a little there, too," he said. "Hopefully this will clear it up."

Crawford was on the disabled list from June 17 to July 18 with a strained left hamstring. He is hitting .248 with six home runs and 36 RBIs in his first season with the Red Sox,

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

It's the final game of the homestand and here are the lineups:

RED SOX (64-38)
    Ellsbury CF
    Pedroia 2B
    Gonzalez 1B
    Youkilis 3B
    Ortiz DH
    Reddick RF
    Sutton LF