Interesting Sox-Yanks comparison

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Interesting Sox-Yanks comparison

Combining 2010 and 2011, the Sox have 3 players in the top 15 OPS leaders, but the Yanks have none...

#8 Papi  .938
    12 AGon .929 (including a yr in SD)
    15 Youk .912

The Sox have 4 in the top 25, the Yanks 2 in the top 25:
    17  Cano
    20  Grandy
    25  Pedey

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Interesting Sox-Yanks comparison

In Response to Re: Interesting Sox-Yanks comparison:
    [QUOTE]Yanks are ranked 8th in MLB in pitching. Sox are 18th, that is interesting too. Only 2 teams after Sox in team era have winning record, Indians, (19th), and Detroit. (23rd). Can you imagine if the Tigers didnt have Verlander. Yanks have had 73 Quality starts, while the Sox have had only 66.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that the Sox road ERA is 3.57 (Home 4.24). Road WHIP: 1.187/Home 1.353. Yet, our home and away records are almost the same

The Yanks are 3.52 on the road vs about the same opps as the Sox. I think the two staffs might be pretty close had they played all their games in a neutral site.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Yanks are ranked 8th in MLB in pitching. Sox are 18th, that is interesting too. Only 2 teams after Sox in team era have winning record, Indians, (19th), and Detroit. (23rd). Can you imagine if the Tigers didnt have Verlander. Yanks have had 73 Quality starts, while the Sox have had only 66.
    The Red Sox have 66 quality starts, but 83 wins. The Seattle Mariners have 81 quality starts, but only 58 wins. The Yankees have 73 quality starts with 83 wins:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/league/al/sort/qualityStarts/order/true

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

In Response to Interesting Sox-Yanks comparison:
    [QUOTE]Combining 2010 and 2011, the Sox have 3 players in the top 15 OPS leaders, but the Yanks have none... #8 Papi  .938 12 AGon .929 (including a yr in SD) 15 Youk .912 The Sox have 4 in the top 25, the Yanks 2 in the top 25: 17  Cano 20  Grandy 25  Pedey
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

to each his own moon

but I find that the  yanks

having 3 of the 4 players with 100 rbi's THIS YR more interesting

hopefully you find this interesting moon

do you know or can any one find the stat 4 

how many times teams have been shut out this yr

I heard this morning that  the sox haven't been shut out this much since 92

I was wonder how many times 4 both teams

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Interesting Sox-Yanks comparison : Keep in mind that the Sox road ERA is 3.57 (Home 4.24). Road WHIP: 1.187/Home 1.353. Yet, our home and away records are almost the same The Yanks are 3.52 on the road vs about the same opps as the Sox. I think the two staffs might be pretty close had they played all their games in a neutral site.

That neutral site would affect OPS, your original premise. Having it both ways falls is akin to cherry picking.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I think that when trying to draw a comparions between teams. There are many factors one has to weigh, suffice to say that the Sox are in the hunt and in the end the only stats that counts is the number 11 which is the amount of wins needed to be crowned the World Series Champions for 2011

I don't care what team your root for in the AL or the NL no one team is a lock to win it and come Oct 1st they'll be 8 teams with a shot and it looks like the Sox will be one of them...lets just say if we play our A game pitch, catch the ball get some timely hitting I like our chances...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Interesting Sox-Yanks comparison : Keep in mind that the Sox road ERA is 3.57 (Home 4.24). Road WHIP: 1.187/Home 1.353. Yet, our home and away records are almost the same The Yanks are 3.52 on the road vs about the same opps as the Sox. I think the two staffs might be pretty close had they played all their games in a neutral site.

Yup. In fact, I think Boston would have a starting rotation edge, but the NY pen could be deeper. Hill's absence is the BP difference IMO.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm not putting down the Yanks staff. They surprised me this year, especially Colon and Garcia. I'm just saying the Sox staff is better than their overall ERA shows, just as out leaders in OPS would be lower had they played in a larger home park.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stormcrow7878. Show stormcrow7878's posts

I do think it is interesting that all year long people have said that the Yankees pitching is being held together with duct tape and prayer, and yet they continue to get QS form Garcia and Colon, Nova gets better and better, and despite a bad stretch CC is still a true ace. Add in Rivera (who is not 2000 Mo...but who is?) Dominant Robertson, resurgent Soriano, a nice find in Wade, and Boone Logan who somehow gets outs & the Yanks pitching staff has been much more consistent overall than Boston's. This is why despite the OPS diffrence the Yanks are as we speak in 1st place (although I do think Bostonis the better team this year and will win the division). Wouldn't it be something to have an ALCS...Yanks vs Sox...with Fenway hosting 1,2,5, & 7...first time ever(4 Sox home field) and it would be a classic!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Yanks are ranked 8th in MLB in pitching. Sox are 18th, that is interesting too. Only 2 teams after Sox in team era have winning record, Indians, (19th), and Detroit. (23rd). Can you imagine if the Tigers didnt have Verlander. Yanks have had 73 Quality starts, while the Sox have had only 66.
    Posted by bobbysu

Bobby,

How startling is that!  When one hears about how bad the pitching is after CC .... someone isn't paying attention to the facts as they broadcast game after game. 

Nova has been terrific and the two reclaims are alos doing well. 

That is one reason I NEVER count them out.  Somehow, someway,  FA or farm or waivers, they get the job done. 

That is one reason why it's so cool to get an edge on them.

I know we are 1/2 game behind right now, but I'm only worried about two things in the AL.  Well, 3.  Keeping pace or better.  Facing Verlander in the PS.  and I can't remember the 3rd.  It'll come to me.  Maybe.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Interesting Sox-Yanks comparison:
    Combining 2010 and 2011, the Sox have 3 players in the top 15 OPS leaders, but the Yanks have none... #8 Papi  .938 12 AGon .929 (including a yr in SD) 15 Youk .912 The Sox have 4 in the top 25, the Yanks 2 in the top 25: 17  Cano 20  Grandy 25  Pedey
    Posted by moonslav59

Stirring thoughts of "YEA, BOSTON" come straight to mind.

But then I am reminded of the NYucks being down 7-1 and winning 22-9 this year and ... last year or the year before, being down 10-1 in the last half inning of the game and winning 11-10.

Those boys can sure score.  Why, in the capital of "break a leg" can't more of them do that?  J/K, of course.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from -*The-Babe*-. Show -*The-Babe*-'s posts

The one I find most interesting is run differential....Yanks at +199 and the red flops at +157.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

You do have a point, bambino.  The run differential says that on paper the Yankees have been the better team so far.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

NO, it just means the Yankees pummel worse teams more.
    22 runs on Oakland, etc.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyintheboogiedown. Show mikeyintheboogiedown's posts

NO, it just means the Yankees pummel worse teams more. 22 runs on Oakland, etc.
    Posted by NegativeTrollsAbound

Ok so blowout games against bad teams do not count, you should be the one to decide what is a bad team and what isn't and revise the figures.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Interesting Sox-Yanks comparison : Bobby,     How startling is that!  When one hears about how bad the pitching is after CC .... someone isn't paying attention to the facts as they broadcast game after game.    Nova has been terrific and the two reclaims are alos doing well.    That is one reason I NEVER count them out.  Somehow, someway,  FA or farm or waivers, they get the job done.    That is one reason why it's so cool to get an edge on them.   I know we are 1/2 game behind right now, but I'm only worried about two things in the AL.  Well, 3.  Keeping pace or better.  Facing Verlander in the PS.  and I can't remember the 3rd.  It'll come to me.  Maybe.
    Posted by SinceYaz

I've thought of that too, and good point; this would be the disadvantage of winning the Division.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Sox have had their share of blowouts too.

Sections
Shortcuts