Interesting stat.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Interesting stat.

The Red Sox lead the AL in virtually every offensive stat. There is no doubt that hitting is not a problem, but what I found very glaring is the number of GDP.
    The Red Sox are tied for 2nd in the AL with Baltimore at 89 GDP, just behind LA who has 92.
    Some would say it's because the OBP is high which increases the chances but I have a different take and it's the station to station mentality of the offense.
    Francona rarely puts runners in motion, even when a contact hitter is at the plate. If The Sox were more agressive on the bases, we would be running away with the division, IMO. I think the only one who gets this is Pedey, who runs at every opportunity. Even Ellsbury has been tentative in trying to swipe a base and I can't remember the last time he did, even though he has had numerous chances lately.
    What do you think? Should the RS do more hit and run or first to third on base hits?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Interesting stat.

High OBP + hitters that hit the ball hard = many GDPs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

makes sense, you put more men on base you have a higher chance of moving them over and driving them in....when you make outs you also have more of a chance of hitting into DP with men on. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Interesting stat.:
    [QUOTE]The Red Sox lead the AL in virtually every offensive stat. There is no doubt that hitting is not a problem, but what I found very glaring is the number of GDP. The Red Sox are tied for 2nd in the AL with Baltimore at 89 GDP, just behind LA who has 92. Some would say it's because the OBP is high which increases the chances but I have a different take and it's the station to station mentality of the offense. Francona rarely puts runners in motion, even when a contact hitter is at the plate. If The Sox were more agressive on the bases, we would be running away with the division, IMO. I think the only one who gets this is Pedey, who runs at every opportunity. Even Ellsbury has been tentative in trying to swipe a base and I can't remember the last time he did, even though he has had numerous chances lately. What do you think? Should the RS do more hit and run or first to third on base hits?
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

I'm disapointed that you didn't take this as another opportunity to take a shot at Drew too.

FYI there's not a more aggressive manager in the game than Scioscia and his teams leads the league in GDP...hmmm

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

DP's are going to happen. Especially with a high OBP. But I'd like to see more aggressiveness on the base paths. More hit and runs. Try for third more often on singles hit to right and right center. I can understand if it's Tek or Agon not making an attempt, but it seems like most runners automatically stop at second. I'm sure they're coached to do that. Taking a chance once in a while should lead to more runs an less stranded RISP.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

In their last 10 games the Sox are 8-2 and the Yankees are 5-5, and Boston is STILL ONLY ONE.Five FREAKING games ahead!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Interesting stat.:
    [QUOTE]DP's are going to happen. Especially with a high OBP. But I'd like to see more aggressiveness on the base paths. More hit and runs. Try for third more often on singles hit to right and right center. I can understand if it's Tek or Agon not making an attempt, but it seems like most runners automatically stop at second. I'm sure they're coached to do that. Taking a chance once in a while should lead to more runs an less stranded RISP.
    Posted by antibody[/QUOTE]

I agree. We need to challenge the defense once in a while, instead of being defensive on offense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

"I'm disapointed that you didn't take this as another opportunity to take a shot at Drew too."

Drew rarely grounds into double plays. Our leaders in that stat are Gonzalez, Youkilis, and Ortiz.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Drew doesn't hit into double plays, Drew doesn't hit anything at all.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Perhaps better to look at ratios? B-R separates out "on 1st, lt 2 out". In other words, DP opportunities...

Sox are 89/769 = 11.6%
    Yankees are 83/738 = 11.2%
    Angels are 92/649 = 14.2%
    League average = 1057/9561 = 11.1%

Thus the Red Sox ground into an extra double play every ~200 opportunities. They have four more double plays this season than an average AL team would given the same number of opportunities.

I blame it on Gonzalez, who leads the league in that category. Then I immediately shrug it off, as Gonzalez *also* leads the league in batting average, hits, doubles, RBIs, and total bases. We're really going to worry about a handful of double plays? Seriously?!?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Perhaps better to look at ratios? B-R separates out "on 1st, lt 2 out". In other words, DP opportunities... Sox are 89/769 = 11.6% Yankees are 83/738 = 11.2% Angels are 92/649 = 14.2% League average = 1057/9561 = 11.1% Thus the Red Sox ground into an extra double play every ~200 opportunities. They have four more double plays this season than an average AL team would given the same number of opportunities. I blame it on Gonzalez, who leads the league in that category. Then I immediately shrug it off, as Gonzalez *also* leads the league in batting average, hits, doubles, RBIs, and total bases. We're really going to worry about a handful of double plays? Seriously?!?
    Posted by thirtysomething[/QUOTE]

Since the RS lead MLB in runs, baserunners, etc, the OP is off base IMO. Perhaps maybe a little more in the H&R dept would be helpful, but you shouldn't do that with those guys who aren't high contact hitters. Better to worry about the SP.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Interesting stat. : I agree. We need to challenge the defense once in a while, instead of being defensive on offense.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

The "problem" is our fastest runners are on base in front of our best hitters. When you would want to hit and run is when the bottom of the order is up, but do you really want Papi, Salty, or Vtek running with the hopes that the batter makes contact?

I do think Tito should "mix it up" more to keep the opponents guessing and on their toes. When the opps know we won't bunt or hit and run, it makes their defensive positioning change and hurts our chances to capitalize on it.