Interesting top-of-the-order

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Interesting top-of-the-order

With Holt batting leadoff, and Bogaerts in the #2 spot, it now allows Pedroia to go back to hitting third ahead of Ortiz.  Although not your typical #3 hitter, Pedroia seemed to handle it pretty well last year in spite of a nagging injury to his hand from sliding into 1B on opening day.  Maybe, just maybe, this will provide the spark that ignites a thus-far dormant offense.

I'd really, really love to see Holt flourish, particularly leading off, which might solidify him as a permanent fixture at 3B, enabling Bogaerts to remain at SS.  Then it would get very, very interesting, if not dicey, to see what Farrell and Cherington  would opt to do with Drew and Middlebrooks.

If both Holt and Bogaerts get hot at the top of the lineup and the Sox start winning consistently, then it would seem implausible to alter that dynamic.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Interesting top-of-the-order

Good idea, howevaa, Mr. DREW will derail that !!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

I hope they do not move Holt & XB away from the 1-2 spots. It works, so why would they do that? The only solution is putting XP (or Holt) into LF. Being a lefty hitter, Holt could platoon with Gomes. The last thing they should do is bench Holt. If they do, there goes the only 1-2-3-4 batting order that has worked all year!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I hope they do not move Holt & XB away from the 1-2 spots. It works, so why would they do that? The only solution is putting XP (or Holt) into LF. Being a lefty hitter, Holt could platoon with Gomes. The last thing they should do is bench Holt. If they do, there goes the only 1-2-3-4 batting order that has worked all year!

[/QUOTE] My point exactly.

Holt, Bogaerts, Pedroia, Ortiz at the top of the lineup just has a good feel to it.  Plug in a decent #5 and the Sox might, just maybe,  go on a tear.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:
    [QUOTE]

With Holt batting leadoff, and Bogaerts in the #2 spot, it now allows Pedroia to go back to hitting third ahead of Ortiz.  Although not your typical #3 hitter, Pedroia seemed to handle it pretty well last year in spite of a nagging injury to his hand from sliding into 1B on opening day.  Maybe, just maybe, this will provide the spark that ignites a thus-far dormant offense.

I'd really, really love to see Holt flourish, particularly leading off, which might solidify him as a permanent fixture at 3B, enabling Bogaerts to remain at SS.  Then it would get very, very interesting, if not dicey, to see what Farrell and Cherington  would opt to do with Drew and Middlebrooks.

If both Holt and Bogaerts get hot at the top of the lineup and the Sox start winning consistently, then it would seem implausible to alter that dynamic.

[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately your premise has a hole in it; that being the 'hole' at SS with Bogey positioned there. A much better idea would be to take Bogey out of the infield entirely, and place him in LF. He can't do any worse in left than he's doing at SS.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Gomes shouldn't platoon with anyone. He should only pinch hit. The only time he should start is to rest someone.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

[/QUOTE]

Gomes shouldn't platoon with anyone. He should only pinch hit. The only time he should start is to rest someone.

[/QUOTE]

After his sterling catch along the right field line in last night's game, I'm inclined to disagree with you.  He may not be swift of foot, nor agile and smooth, but he does have a knack for getting to the ball and holding on to it, often in critical situations.  I can think of no one better with whom to replace him at this juncture. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RigatoniT. Show RigatoniT's posts

Ortiz should have been batting 4th all alone, and Pedroia 2nd or 3rd..... so we still need the #5 hitter to be a player that can hit a home-run, be a threat.

Once again Napoli has shown he is a #6 hitter.... not a #5. 

The team entered last season this way and again this year ..... problem not solved.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I like Herrera but Holt has the makings of a super sub. I'm sure he's taking grounders at first and fly balls in LF. Hopefully even some instruction behind the plate---that may come after Drew arrives. I like players that can bunt, make contact and move runners--Holt can do that and more.

I also like Ryan Roberts who has benefitted from playing everyday at AAA and batting leadoff. He's a versatile player out of the Sean Rodriguez and Ben Zobrist mold from his days in Tampa. If Holt doesn't stay on the 25--Roberts is my second choice to take over for Holt and Herrera.

WMB will become a permanent fixture at 3 B and maybe some 1 B and LF at AAA until we see if the Xander/ Drew experiment works.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Call me superstitious, but I would definitely leave Holt at 3B and batting first until the Sox loose another game.  Call it Karma, Chemistry, Destiny or whatever else you'd like, but the Sox have turned it up a notch since his arrival and his gaining a starting role.  Sometimes a lesser known, innocuous player arrives and spurs a team to another level of play. 

See: Sibbi Sisti,  in 1948, he played a key role and sparked the Brave's in their run to the World Series, filling in for injured second baseman Eddie Stanky for part of the season.

He also played the Pittsburgh manager in the film 'Field of Dreams'.

"Good night Sibbi Sisti wherever you are."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Because Drew didn’t clear waivers until last Friday, Major League Baseball option rules dictate he will have to spend at least 10 days in the minors before he can be activated. As a result, the earliest he could play for Boston would be June 2.

Brock, 3 for 4 tonight.  If he hits like this against the Rays this weekend and Sox continue their winning ways, it will really put Farrell and Cherington between a rock and a hard place. 

Will Drew become a $10M utility infielder bench warmer.  Braves have similar situation with Dan Uggla who they signed to a 5-yr. $62M contract through 2015 and now he's on the bench because of declining production.  Regardless of the reasons, and absent any injuries to regulars, Drew and Uggla could become two of the highest paid bench-warmers in MLB.

Mark my words, how this situation is handled will either strengthen team chemistry or cause it to crumble.