Interleague Play

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---The--Babe----. Show ---The--Babe----'s posts

Re: Interleague Play

In Response to Re: Interleague Play:
    [QUOTE]Few American League teams have a DH as productive as David Ortiz, so the loss of the DH at a National League park has less impact for most AL teams. Few National League teams have a reserve pinch-hitter as productive as David Ortiz, so the addition of a DH at an American League park has less impact for most NL teams.

Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

So baseball should change it's rules because it's unfair to the red flops?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALittleBitSouth. Show ALittleBitSouth's posts

There's just too much pity-the-AL talk about having to face NL teams without their DH. Get a crying towel and throw a salute to the league that plays baseball the way it's supposed to be played - no DH, less strategy, less required thought. Harold Kaese was correct years ago when he opposed the change. Still, interleague play unfairly deprives AL teams from playing more games with their rivals in other AL divisions, and perhaps the overall game would benefit by keeping the leagues separate until World Series time. I for one would like to have more games with, e.g., the White Sox and Tigers, and the other AL teams excluded now by interlegue competition. Now for the caveat: I like the DH even though it alters the original blueprint; it does add up to more scoring, but not more suspense: that remains regardless of format. Play ball

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Interleague Play : Harness, I'm with you on the fans getting to see other teams play. I enjoy watching players from other teams that we don't see all the time. Some of them that you've always heard about but never saw play, and even the ones that are completely unknown. I'm sure there's a downside to it, but that's certainly the upside.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

Very true Kim. And many of these teams don't make the playoffs.
    I often wondered, long before the advent of inter-league play, how the Sox would do against the N.L. teams during the season. Im wanted to see the contrast in play.
    To be honest, I'd like to see more N.L. teams instead of playing our own 18 times a year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Oh, you can't make me I'm a part of the union, you can't make me I'm a part of the union, Oh, you can't make me I'm a part of the union, all the live long day, all the live long day! Posted on the lockers of Ellsbury's and Lowrie's, et al.
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

Pity you aren't old enough to remember the sweat shops...kids working 12-16 hour days. Closest thing to slave labor. Perhaps your rich ancestry can give you the black and white details.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Pity you live in the 1800's and pretend that unions and race should be discussed in the context of "sweat shops" and "slavery". I don't think the MLBPA closed shop has a complaint about sweat shots and slavery, do you, idiot?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

EDIT: {Softy was banned again, so this post retorts one he made where he alluded to me living in the 1800's...in his usual crude fashion}

If I did live in the 1800's, I'd be enjoying the simple life, trotting down main street in my horse-drawn carriage. You'd be the horse I'd be stuck with, too dumb to to know the meaning of whoa!

Undecided

I think I'd call you...uncle Wastefield.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

While baseball is more entertaining and more lucrative with the DH, it is not the way the game is supposed to be played. And for the poster who said NL strategy is way overblown, I submit the AL has no strategy whatsoever, since they do not have to worry about how they use their pitcher in hitting situations. Perhaps that is why Francona was not a successful manager for the Phillies.
    The use of the DH is not real baseball and baseball was fine for over 100 years without it. It's all about the money.
    me, I grew up in LA and saw Drysdale hit quite a few HR's. Pitchers, even in the NL don't hit as well today because they just don't work at it, and i would guess that AL pitchers probably don't even take BP unless they are about to play in an NL park. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]If I did live in the 1800's, I'd be enjoying the simple life, trotting down main street in my horse-drawn carriage. You'd be the horse I'd be stuck with, too dumb to to know the meaning of whoa! I think I'd call you... uncle Wastefield.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Evening, harness.

Your last 2 posts here were classic. (Softy never responded to my comment about abuses of the elite, FWIW.) Speaking, of, remember the Honeymooner's episode involving the $99,000 answer? The look on Ralph's face when the quiz show plays Swanee River is IMHO one of the greatest comedic moments ever. (Gleason was notorious for not rehearsing, or even reading the script.) However, Youtube took it off due to some copyright infringement.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Interleague Play : Evening, harness. Your last 2 posts here were classic. (Softy never responded to my comment about abuses of the elite, FWIW.) Speaking, of, remember the Honeymooner's episode involving the $99,000 answer? The look on Ralph's face when the quiz show plays Swanee River is IMHO one of the greatest comedic moments ever. (Gleason was notorious for not rehearsing, or even reading the script.) However, Youtube took it off due to some copyright infringement.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Smile

Pity Softy got banned as it ruined the continuity of the Uncle Wastefield post.
    Yes, I recall Gleason's look in that episode. Priceless. The whole series was a gem.
    Both he and Sinatra hated rehearsals for the very reason you stated.

Speaking of old-time TV, the retro stations just started airing the rarely seen NAKED CITY and ROUTE 66 series. I know Softy likes Sea Hunt, so he should enjoy these classics as well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

In Response to Interleague Play:
    [QUOTE]An AL team in a NL park loses a good hitter, perhaps its best hitter, and adds one of its worst hitters. A NL team in an AL park loses one of its worst hitters and adds a much better hitter.  As far as I know, in no other sport do the rules  create a personnel imbalance of this order.  Has Cosby done a riff on it? Remember his one about the Brits having to wear red coats and fight in the open while the colonists could wear civvies and hide in the forests. The arrangement is ridiculous on its face, even if for a stretch or during some years or cumulatively the AL has the better record.  The records are an accident of the current strengths and weaknesses of the teams on both sides. The records do not redeem the principle.  It remains an oddity that calls out for correction. The players' union would not trade away the DH, so the adjustment, if any comes, will be in the NL.  The chances are slim.   How about an "unfair practice" law from Congress? Ho. 
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

I don't get you and this idea at all.  If Cosby did a riff on it, the Colonialists would have to wear red coats only when fighting in Britain, and then everyone has red coats on.  And then when they fight in America, NO ONE wears red coats.  You might not like it, I don't really like it, but there is nothing unfair about it.  The "best hitter" the AL teams lose is not available to NL teams in the first place - all their guys have to be able to play the field.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Interleague Play :                Pity Softy got banned as it ruined the continuity of the Uncle Wastefield post. Yes, I recall Gleason's look in that episode. Priceless. The whole series was a gem. Both he and Sinatra hated rehearsals for the very reason you stated. Speaking of old-time TV, the retro stations just started airing the rarely seen NAKED CITY and ROUTE 66 series. I know Softy likes Sea Hunt, so he should enjoy these classics as well.

Especially if there's a new episode where Wastefield gets abducted and transported to permanently pal around with Ariel and Sebastien; the drawback being, that due to his girth, the sea level shall rise, alarming the green movement.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

As far as Sinatra was concerned; your comment about him not rehearsing I don't think applies to his rehearsing his songs; he was a perfectionist in getting every note and nuance just right. (And I'm glad for that).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

The owners bought so it is OK by me. However the issue I have is that a whole division does not play the same teams. It would be more fair to have the ALE vs NLE etc... I know there is an unbalanced distribution of teams. If they balance it then you can do the fairer thing and as stated E vs E. It just suks that the NYY could play all good teams or teams having superior years. While the Rays could be playing all last place teams.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I know this isn't that popular anymore, but I thought Lucy was hilarious (especially Fred Mertz). Remember the Superman episode?

When they divorced, the comedown was similar to hearing John Lennon by himself; it was still good, just not as.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]While baseball is more entertaining and more lucrative with the DH, it is not the way the game is supposed to be played. And for the poster who said NL strategy is way overblown, I submit the AL has no strategy whatsoever, since they do not have to worry about how they use their pitcher in hitting situations. Perhaps that is why Francona was not a

successful manager for the Phillies.
    The use of the DH is not real baseball and baseball was fine for over 100 years without it. It's all about the money. me, I grew up in LA and saw Drysdale hit quite a few HR's. Pitchers, even in the NL don't hit as well today because they just don't work at it, and i would guess that AL pitchers probably don't even take BP unless they are about to play in an NL park. 
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

C'mon Ike. You can do better than that. Tito had garbage to work with in Philly.

As for how the game is "supposed to be played" - according to whom?
    Players in the 1890's laughed at the innovations of the 1930's.
    Ruth thought the Williams era was far inferior to his own.
    It's a matter of perspective.

Pitchers don't hit well because they focus on pitching - and that's where their true talent lies. Why the hell should their art form suffer so as to hit .220 instead
    of .140?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]As far as Sinatra was concerned; your comment about him not rehearsing I don't think applies to his rehearsing his songs; he was a perfectionist in getting every note and nuance just right. (And I'm glad for that).

I was only referring to his acting, which was very good.
    Singers who act are known for being able to put their song over more credibly.
    Elvis could be put into this category. Yet he was fanatical about rehearsing his songs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Interleague Play : Evening, harness. Your last 2 posts here were classic. (Softy never responded to my comment about abuses of the elite, FWIW.) Speaking, of, remember the Honeymooner's episode involving the $99,000 answer? The look on Ralph's face when the quiz show plays Swanee River is IMHO one of the greatest comedic moments ever. (Gleason was notorious for not rehearsing, or even reading the script.) However, Youtube took it off due to some copyright infringement.

I allude to this episode when I talk about my uncle's appearance on Wheel of Fortune.  He's a bright man who regularly completes the NYTimes crossword puzzles.  Well anyway, he kept choosing the correct letters one round but was stumped by the puzzle.  The answer was "Curiously Strong Mints."  The man had a career in advertising/promotion so he should have nailed it.  The next time I saw him following his TV appearance I gift-wrapped some Altoids and gave it to him as a present. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

That was sweet of you. Did UR uncle give you the air?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]That was sweet of you. Did UR uncle give you the air?

Well, he didn't offer me any Altoids. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

How can people say that this series with Philly is a WS matchup without Papi? Cam and Mac are NOT FT players..They are barely bench players at this point..When our lineup looks (somewhat) like this all the time vs NL
    Ells - CF
    pedey - 2b
    Gonzo - 1b
    Youk - 3b
    Papi - DH
    CC - LF
    Salty - C
    Reddick/Drew - RF
    Scutaro/Jed - ss

I will say its fair..If you cant play your usual everyday lineup, then whats the point IMO..The NL loses nothing and gains a better hitter on the road..The AL loses a big bat and the risk of their pitchers coming up lame (Buch 2010) Both leagues build their team according to rules..With a team like the sox, it puts them at a distinct unfair advantage as we are all witnessing..I could care less to see some national league team 3 times in 4 years, ie San Diego..Id rather see them play more AL teams where the games matter more..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

If Boston/Philly meet for the fall classic, that's the time to be concerned.
    And Drew/Scut might not even be in the starting line-up at that point.