Irrational exhuberance?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Irrational exhuberance?

Several threads are trumpeting the six game winning streak.

As they should.  These six nicely counterbalance the six losses to start the season, and they include 3 of 3 at Yankee stadium.   The Sox have a lot of offensive potential, three excellent starters, and an equally good closer.  And, at 3 games above .500 and 1.5 games behind the Rays and .5 games behind the Yankees, very clearly back in the hunt.  What could be better?

Here's the rub.  The offensive potential is still mostly potential, with the Sox ranking around 6th in the AL in runs scored.  And the pitching, measured in team ERA, is 11th best.  So, while the Sox are 3 games above .500, their cumulatively run differential is -3.  And now Wakefield, age 44, and Aceves, a Yankees reject, are the 4th and 5th starters.  Papelbon has been pretty good this year, better than last, but is no longer dominant--last night, for example, he got through the 9th by striking out a guy with the bases loaded up by Pap himself.  And Bard has been inconsistent--like the the two dingers last night in the 8th.  Albers has been terrific, but the rest of the bullpen has been scary, especially the two offseason acquisitions, Wheeler and Jenks. 

There's more.  The Yankees and Rays are also in the hunt and both have better pitching staffs (especially the Rays).   Plus the Yankees have the best offense in the AL with plenty of home run power. 

In fact, as moonslav pointed out, there are a lot of teams still in the hunt for the wild card slot in the AL playoffs--Toronto, LA, Detroit, KC, Baltimore, Oakland.  Only Cleveland in the AL Central has broken away from the pack, and only the Twins seem out of it. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Irrational exhuberance?

In Response to Irrational exhuberance?:
    [QUOTE]Several threads are trumpeting the six game winning streak. As they should.  These six nicely counterbalance the six losses to start the season, and they include 3 of 3 at Yankee stadium.   The Sox have a lot of offensive potential, three excellent starters, and an equally good closer.  And, at 3 games above .500 and 1.5 games behind the Rays and .5 games behind the Yankees, very clearly back in the hunt.  What could be better? Here's the rub.  The offensive potential is still mostly potential, with the Sox ranking around 6th in the AL in runs scored.  And the pitching, measured in team ERA, is 11th best.  So, while the Sox are 3 games above .500, their cumulatively run differential is -3.  And now Wakefield, age 44, and Aceves, a Yankees reject, are the 4th and 5th starters.  Papelbon has been pretty good this year, better than last, but is no longer dominant--last night, for example, he got through the 9th by striking out a guy with the bases loaded up by Pap himself.  And Bard has been inconsistent--like the the two dingers last night in the 8th.  Albers has been terrific, but the rest of the bullpen has been scary, especially the two offseason acquisitions, Wheeler and Jenks.  There's more.  The Yankees and Rays are also in the hunt and both have better pitching staffs (especially the Rays).   Plus the Yankees have the best offense in the AL with plenty of home run power.  In fact, as moonslav pointed out, there are a lot of teams still in the hunt for the wild card slot in the AL playoffs--Toronto, LA, Detroit, KC, Baltimore, Oakland.  Only Cleveland in the AL Central has broken away from the pack, and only the Twins seem out of it. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]  AND WHEN WE LOSE 2 IN-A-ROW, WE WILL SWING BACK THE OTHER WAY !!  "LET ME BE CLEAR", WE PICK THIS STYLE UP FROM OUR "COMANDER-IN-CHEERING" VIA AF1  !!!Foot in mouthCool

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

[QUOTE]Several threads are trumpeting the six game winning streak. As they should.  These six nicely counterbalance the six losses to start the season, and they include 3 of 3 at Yankee stadium.   The Sox have a lot of offensive potential, three excellent starters, and an equally good closer.  And, at 3 games above .500 and 1.5 games behind the Rays and .5 games behind the Yankees, very clearly back in the hunt.  What could be better? Here's the rub.  The offensive potential is still mostly potential, with the Sox ranking around 6th in the AL in runs scored.  And the pitching, measured in team ERA, is 11th best.  So, while the Sox are 3 games above .500, their cumulatively run differential is -3.  And now Wakefield, age 44, and Aceves, a Yankees reject, are the 4th and 5th starters.  Papelbon has been pretty good this year, better than last, but is no longer dominant--last night, for example, he got through the 9th by striking out a guy with the bases loaded up by Pap himself.  And Bard has been inconsistent--like the the two dingers last night in the 8th.  Albers has been terrific, but the rest of the bullpen has been scary, especially the two offseason acquisitions, Wheeler and Jenks.  There's more.  The Yankees and Rays are also in the hunt and both have better pitching staffs (especially the Rays).   Plus the Yankees have the best offense in the AL with plenty of home run power.  In fact, as moonslav pointed out, there are a lot of teams still in the hunt for the wild card slot in the AL playoffs--Toronto, LA, Detroit, KC, Baltimore, Oakland.  Only Cleveland in the AL Central has broken away from the pack, and only the Twins seem out of it. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

You think we have a monopoly on exuberance?

try this morning's NY Post:

SOARING

Yankees Crush Orioles for THIRD STRAIGHT WIN

followed by a Swisher quote:
    "We are ready to do some special stuff,"

the new yawkers are exuberant.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Max, in my mind, though I don't get too excited by streaks either way, all the more reason to celebrate this little run.  With the poor start, the division and A.L. as competitive as it is, wins are at a premium.  Anytime the Sox can get some in bunches, it is a very good thing.  Added to these all-important wins, a sweep of the Yankees and beating Verlander is a confidence builder for a club that started so slowly.  They have taken it to the cream of the crop.  Not to mention the edge that I believe a team gets when they are pulling out games late like the Sox have been doing (and weren't doing last year).  
         Granted, those posters who are summoning duck boats are just as fool-hearted as those that were writing epitaphs three weeks ago.  But I think this streak should be trumpeted like Louis Armstrong.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

In Response to Re: Irrational exhuberance?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Irrational exhuberance? : Max, in my mind, though I don't get too excited by streaks either way, all the more reason to celebrate this little run.  With the poor start, the division and A.L. as competitive as it is, wins are at a premium.  Anytime the Sox can get some in bunches, it is a very good thing.  Added to these all-important wins, a sweep of the Yankees and beating Verlander is a confidence builder for a club that started so slowly.  They have taken it to the cream of the crop.  Not to mention the edge that I believe a team gets when they are pulling out games late like the Sox have been doing (and weren't doing last year).        Granted, those posters who are summoning duck boats are just as fool-hearted as those that were writing epitaphs three weeks ago.  But I think this streak should be trumpeted like Louis Armstrong.

Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Probably more like lance armstrong.......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Irrational exhuberance? : Probably more like lance armstrong.......
    Posted by --The--Babe--1[/QUOTE]

Hey man, give Lance a yellow bracelet and a vile of secrets, i bet he could blow a virtuoso trumpet.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Irrational exhuberance? : Probably more like lance armstrong.......
    Posted by --The--Babe--1[/QUOTE]

Being a Yankee fan would make you ab expert on that subject.

BTW, aren't the Yankees leading the league in HRs?

Go figure...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Irrational exhuberance? : Being a Yankee fan would make you ab expert on that subject. BTW, aren't the Yankees leading the league in HRs? Go figure...

Posted by niz-58[/QUOTE]

Why would being a Yankee fan make me an expert on abdominal muscles?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Spaceman, everything you say is true.  That's why I started out on the positive side.  The Sox struggled to get to .500, falling back at least three times, and then ran right through it thanks to the six straight wins.  Plenty to celebrate.

All I'm saying is that the real season starts now, and there are a lot of other teams who think they are in the hunt, including three in our own division. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The ERA is misleading because after the first time or two through the rotation, the pitching has been excellent overall. It's a bit high because of a few blowups (by Lackey).

The top three have been good to great and the bullpen has been coming around for the most part.

And look who the starters are that the Sox have beaten (even if they didn't take the loss):

CC twice, Felix, Haren twice, Verlander, Weaver -- just off the top of my head. There might be more.

I think the best is still yet to come.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Spaceman, everything you say is true.  That's why I started out on the positive side.  The Sox struggled to get to .500, falling back at least three times, and then ran right through it thanks to the six straight wins.  Plenty to celebrate. All I'm saying is that the real season starts now, and there are a lot of other teams who think they are in the hunt, including three in our own division. 

I hear that Max.  No doubt.  Now that they have climbed out the black hole and re-established their mojo, we can take a breath, look around, and notice just how much of a grind lies ahead.

I thought, when they were in the midst of the opening disaster, that, as soon as they were able to right the ship, that nightmare would prove to be a blessing in disguise:  there was so much starry hype about this club going into the season, and the competition in reality was so fierce, that it was good thing to get smashed in the mouth early.  Make em dig deep, forget the headlines, toughen em up.  I think that the way they have been pulling out close games might be a reflection of this learned grit from the early swoon.  At least, I like to think so.  Any edge is critical in the dogfight we are in for this summer.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

maxipad way to rain on the parade, Mr. Negative!