Is a Triple Crown possible?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from b126962. Show b126962's posts

Is a Triple Crown possible?

Adrian Gonzalez and Jose Bautista have been having ridiculous seasons to this point. These are my season predictions for the two:

Player       Average                   Homers                  RBI               MVP Finish

Gonzo        .350  (1st)                 40  (2nd)             150  (1st)              1st

Bautista     .340 (2nd)                 55 (1st)               120 (2nd)             2nd

These would both be ridiculous years. However, Gonzo started out slow power-wise, and has recently found his power stroke. If he can hit homers at a great pace for the rest of the year, he might get the coveted triple crown.
     Bautista would need more luck than skill to get the triple crown. He can pounce on AGon for the average title if a Bautista hot streak and Gonzo slump happen at the same time, and is basically guarenteed the home run crown. However, since he is hitting in a weak lineup, Butista would need to be traded to a team with a good lineup, which won't happen.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 26RINGSANDCOUTING. Show 26RINGSANDCOUTING's posts

Re: Is a Triple Crown possible?

WRITE IN VOTE

DEREK JETER

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

In Response to Is a Triple Crown possible?:
    [QUOTE] Adrian Gonzalez and Jose Bautista have been having ridiculous seasons to this point. These are my season predictions for the two:  Player       Average                   Homers                  RBI               MVP Finish Gonzo        .350  (1st)                 40  (2nd)             150  (1st)              1st Bautista     .340 (2nd)                 55 (1st)               120 (2nd)             2nd  These would both be ridiculous years. However, Gonzo started out slow power-wise, and has recently found his power stroke. If he can hit homers at a great pace for the rest of the year, he might get the coveted triple crown.  Bautista would need more luck than skill to get the triple crown. He can pounce on AGon for the average title if a Bautista hot streak and Gonzo slump happen at the same time, and is basically guarenteed the home run crown. However, since he is hitting in a weak lineup, Butista would need to be traded to a team with a good lineup, which won't happen.

Posted by b126962[/QUOTE]

So you don't think anyone else will be in the top 2 in the three Triple Crown categories?

And how exactly is bautista "basically guaranteed" the HR crown?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Yaz

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

mark it down, done deal for the agon.  yankees spend millions on Tex and arod and jeter and posada.  having money doesn't make you smart.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from b126962. Show b126962's posts

The Red Sox have money too, but not as much as the Yankees.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The-Babe----. Show --The-Babe----'s posts

[QUOTE] Adrian Gonzalez and Jose Bautista have been having ridiculous seasons to this point. These are my season predictions for the two:  Player       Average                   Homers                  RBI               MVP Finish Gonzo        .350  (1st)                 40  (2nd)             150  (1st)              1st Bautista     .340 (2nd)                 55 (1st)               120 (2nd)             2nd  These would both be ridiculous years. However, Gonzo started out slow power-wise, and has recently found his power stroke. If he can hit homers at a great pace for the rest of the year, he might get the coveted triple crown.  Bautista would need more luck than skill to get the triple crown. He can pounce on AGon for the average title if a Bautista hot streak and Gonzo slump happen at the same time, and is basically guarenteed the home run crown. However, since he is hitting in a weak lineup, Butista would need to be traded to a team with a good lineup, which won't happen.

So no one else will be in the top two of each of the Triple Crown stats?

And exactly how is bautista "basically guaranteed" the HR crown?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxforlife22. Show soxforlife22's posts

Bautista will not break .320 for average, 45 for homeruns, and 110 for rbi
    his average and power has been digressing since the beginning of the season, and his rbi total has been low the whole season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Is a Triple Crown possible?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Is a Triple Crown possible? : So no one else will be in the top two of each of the Triple Crown stats? And exactly how is bautista "basically guaranteed" the HR crown?
    Posted by --The-Babe----[/QUOTE]

I'll second this, in the month of June, Bautista has exactly 1 HR.  You need to do better than that to win the HR crown, especially given the competition this year. 

Also I don't see Bautista getting to 120 RBI given his production to date (or lack there of) with men on base.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Also, no way AGon and Bautista finish with averages that high. They haven't shown the ability to do that at any point during their careers.  IMO the only one of them with a shot at maintaining his average is AGon because of the dramatic change in park factor from last season, but even then I see it as highly unlikely. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

Yes, it's possible if Granderson and Teixeira decide to sit out the rest of the year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

No Triple Crown this year, IMHO. Yaz' legacy is safe for now, barring a major injury to Bautista. Here's my take:
    I see A-Gon capable of batting .335 -.350, 35-40 HRs are possible, 150 RBIs DEFINITELY possible. Unfortunately, though I don't see Bautista keeping up in BA or RBI's, he probably hits over 40-45 HRs.
    Especially in RBIs, Bautista is a victim of his lineup. He already leads the league in walks, including 10 IBBs (compared to 2 for ALL of 2010). As the season continues, I believe his IBB total will increase disproportionally. Why would anyone pitch to him with first base open in a winnable game? At the very least, more pitchers will 'pitch around' him, even if not actually intentional. Additionally, without the set up men in front of him that A-Gon has, many of his HRs and other XBHs will be with nobody on base. A Bautista solo HR is still half the RBIs as an A-Gon 2-run single.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

So my question is, why are Bautista (.325 / 21HR / 46RBI) and Gonzalez (.350 / 15HR / 68 RBI) considered Triple Crown candidates, yet no mention of Paul Konerko (.331 / 21HR / 59RBI)?

Konerko only trails Gonzalez by .020 in batting average, and would need to get about 6 hits more than AGon the rest of the way to make that up (assuming same number of at-bats). 

And Konerko will have an easier time bridging the 9 RBI gap than AGon will making up the 5HR deficit...

Sections
Shortcuts