Is AGon playing hurt?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DEBeardsr. Show DEBeardsr's posts

Re: Is AGon playing hurt?

In Response to Re: Is AGon playing hurt?:
    [QUOTE]It's God's will he stinks right now.
    Posted by RSNS14[/QUOTE]

Only deserves one AMEN to this one!!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

In Response to Is AGon playing hurt?:
    [QUOTE]He just doesn't look at all like himself up there and I'm sure nobody is more upset than Adrian himself.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

As any athlete knows, slumps are frustrating, and particularly so in baseball, since you have to wait so long between opportunities at the plate. (Not just 2-3 innings between bats, but sometimes a whole game before you see a pitch you really like.) The only thing that bothers me is that he does not give the appearance (ala JD Drew) of really trying to break out of his slump, but that is probably just a personality thing (unlike JD, who I am convinced really did not give a sht.)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

If they had waited a year, there would have been three first baseman ciming out in free agency, Fielder, Gonzalez, and Pujols. They could have signed any one and hung onto all theirprized rookies they gave up for Gonzalez in a trade. Unfortunately hindsight is blind sight. We did not make the playoffs last year and this year looks bad already.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is AGon playing hurt? : Actually, he played all of 2010 with a shoulder that required surgery. Do I have to correct you on everything?
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]
    What does '10 have to do with the present? His shoulder is OK. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is AGon playing hurt? : Actually, he played all of 2010 with a shoulder that required surgery. Do I have to correct you on everything?
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is AGon playing hurt? : What does '10 have to do with the present? His shoulder is OK. 
    Posted by GEAUX-TIGRES[/QUOTE]
    Don't know what just happenned. Sorry.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Everyone needs a kick in the pants, sometimes; bring up Gomez, and let him watch this guy hit a few out of sight. It's called a wake up call.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Oh. Everyone hates Adrian now. OK. Adrian had a bad night. It happens. I'd worry if it continues that way, but I would still support him. I sometimes wonder if people expect their team to win every game. And FTR I hate the new statistics that the announcers keep bringing up when they include last season. Last season is last season. How is anyone to be expected to move on when it's all being lumped together?
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately Kim - there are fans who expect their team to go 162 - 0. I have a friend (Yankee fan) who after they won the "98" World Series and had posted an amazing 114 regular season win total was still not satisfied and he was moaning that if they hadn't started the season 0 - 3, it could have been a greater years. I actually craced in the back of the head for such a stupid comment.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtap66. Show jtap66's posts

[QUOTE]Oh. Everyone hates Adrian now. OK. Adrian had a bad night. It happens. I'd worry if it continues that way, but I would still support him. I sometimes wonder if people expect their team to win every game. And FTR I hate the new statistics that the announcers keep bringing up when they include last season. Last season is last season. How is anyone to be expected to move on when it's all being lumped together?
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

Of course.  Some people feel they need to play the role of reactionary and bitter Sox fans at the expense of common sense.

Seasons are long.  Players slump.

These same people will sing his praises when he pulls out of it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Before he got paid?

Come now, how long have you been watching sports, Moe?

After signing the big contract, many so-called stars take extended naps.  Adrian is one of those types.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

I'm sure his poor play has NOTHING to do with his rather large pay raise.  Same for Beckett, Buchholz, etc.

Did it ever occur to some people that there are probably a large number of baseball players out there that once they get a huge, long, guaranteed paycheck, they actually stop trying and just look to collect?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

[QUOTE]Oh. Everyone hates Adrian now. OK. Adrian had a bad night. It happens. Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

I don't hate him - I just recognize that he doesn't care.

He's the one that said he doesn't care - fans didn't make it up.  He basically said "I don't care" after last year's collapse.

He is showing some trademark consistency by not caring this year either.  He is a gigantic disappointment - after leaving a terrible franchise, he didn't show up with a deep desire to win.  He showed up with a deep desire to be paid and instill lazy, mediocrity in Boston.

That usually isn't popular here.

If you want to like him - go ahead and like him. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Terrible to say, but he looks old and lazy to me. His running to first drives me crazy!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]Terrible to say, but he looks old and lazy to me. His running to first drives me crazy!
    Posted by PetesCall[/QUOTE]
    You call that running???

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is AGon playing hurt? : I don't hate him - I just recognize that he doesn't care. He's the one that said he doesn't care - fans didn't make it up.  He basically said "I don't care" after last year's collapse. He is showing some trademark consistency by not caring this year either.  He is a gigantic disappointment - after leaving a terrible franchise, he didn't show up with a deep desire to win.  He showed up with a deep desire to be paid and instill lazy, mediocrity in Boston. That usually isn't popular here. If you want to like him - go ahead and like him. 
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

how dare you put those words in Agon's mouth and make him say it!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I understand that ballplayers have always and will always go though slumps.....but the "Best Hitter" on any team can never ever Strike out with runners on 1st and 2nd....no outs....extra innings....down 3 runs....against the other freaking teams DH.........swinging no less....on 3 pitches....all changeups(or maybe his Fastballs) in the mid 80's.....completely inexcusable.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Hey he could be struggling like Pujols right now...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

He will get his average up, but in situations that don't translate to wins. Empty .320 Average with maybe 25 HRs and mucho SO's and DP's. Another Theo move that has strapped us for many years to come. I hope I live to see another .500 Red Sox team.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Sox signed Gonzalez knowing he was hurt and with the blessing of the medical staff. If Gonzalez can't produce, it is another albatross contract to go along with Crawford's. Repeat after me, never sign any player to a 10 year contract.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

AGone only has a 7 year deal but still, as I said, too risky....They could have given him 6/120 given the surpluss of (better) 1B available in this same FA year (simple supply and demand).

Anyways, I've been yelling at Adrian to hustle down the line all season.  When you see your "best" and highest paid player dogging it in the middle of a slump it can really bring down the mood of your team and make your guys accept defeat.  The opposite is true to see a guy who is struggling trying to get an IF hit.....And if he does beat one out or force an E it can really wake a team up and others can follow the more positive example.....Anyone else think Middlebrooks could have cost us the game last night by dogging it down the line????????  Monkey See, Monkey Do........Just ask Lester!!!!!!

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

[QUOTE]Sox signed Gonzalez knowing he was hurt and with the blessing of the medical staff. If Gonzalez can't produce, it is another albatross contract to go along with Crawford's. Repeat after me, never sign any player to a 10 year contract.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

How about just laying off the FA market period. I am not suggesting that they NEVER sign a FA, but just not a dozen of them, for 5-7 years. If the FO learned ONE thing over the last 3 years, it is that filling half your roster with expensive FA's simply does not work. Consciously or not, FA's just don't perform to expectations, after they have cashed in with lifetime financial security.