Is anybody concerned about AGon?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wvwc61. Show wvwc61's posts

Is anybody concerned about AGon?

Yes, it's early. But so much is being made of CC's slump that no one is saying anything about the early lack of power from AGon. Has he been a slow starter in the past? Is it just too early to judge?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Re: Is anybody concerned about AGon?

Too early. Relax.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

I dunno I am a little worried at this point. He is not swinging the bat like the slugger we need him to be. Pretty much all his hits have been singles and I have yet to see him drive one the other way. I do not think he is at 100% yet. His swing still seems a little slow. Hopefully he will come around soon. We need his bat to wake up asap. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

In Response to Re: Is anybody concerned about AGon?:
    [QUOTE]Too early. Relax.
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]
    I second that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Is anybody concerned about AGon?:
    [QUOTE]Yes, it's early. But so much is being made of CC's slump that no one is saying anything about the early lack of power from AGon. Has he been a slow starter in the past? Is it just too early to judge?
    Posted by wvwc61[/QUOTE]Not a bit. For a couple of reasons. First he is recovering from offseason shoulder surgery. Having had shoulder surgery myself this winter, I can assure you that the recovery can be slow. Just the fact that he's been in the lineup every day is encouraging. As the strength in his shoulder returns he'll show more power. Second, he's been seeing a pretty steady diet of inside pitches since he came to the AL, pulling the ball has never been Gonzo's forte. He will adjust though, because he is a professional hitter. And when he does he'll start seeing more pitches on the outside part of the plate. That's when we'll really see what Theo gave 3 top prospects and $154M for.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

I'm not worried yet.  I was expecting more power but as everyone else said it's still very early.  Once he starts facing some of these AL pitchers a second time his numbers should increase.  He's still getting hard hits.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccfss. Show ccfss's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, it's early. But so much is being made of CC's slump that no one is saying anything about the early lack of power from AGon. Has he been a slow starter in the past? Is it just too early to judge?
    Posted by wvwc61[/QUOTE]

Save for Lowrie (and he's "off" in a positive way) and Pedroia the entire team is currently pretty much off their projected/realistic "marks." 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Nah, he is not one of my concerns!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

Posted by wvwc61[/QUOTE]

It's early, but I actually predicted a slow power start for A-Gon in an article I wrote for Fire Brand in February.  He had major shoulder surgery in October, which caused him not to be able to partake in his traditional weight lifting, baseball prep activities.  He didn't even swing a bat until mid-February, and even then that was only off of a tee.  While A-Gon's surgeon and the Red Sox team doctors say his shoulder is at full strength (and I believe them), it's still going to take him a little while to get back to his pre-surgery form.  He will start to hit for power, but the MVP season a lot of people were predicting probably won't happen this year.  It's still possible, but I'm predicting him to start showing more power at some point over the next 2-4 weeks. 

Also, don't forget the Red Sox have faced something like 9 lefties over their first 17 games.  That may also be playing a factor.  It's possible his bat speed may not be back quite enough to be able to get around quick enough against the LHP.  Like handed-batters typically pick up the ball a fraction of a second later against like-handed pitchers than they do against opposite handed pitchers, which is part of the reason for platoon splits.  As he starts to face more RHP, that could also help his numbers.

My recommendation:  Be patient.  If he's not hitting for power by Memorial Day, then it's probably time to be a little concerned.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

I predicted people would say they predicted A-Gon's slow start. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

[QUOTE]I predicted people would say they predicted A-Gon's slow start. 
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

Lol.  :)  Fair enough.  I actually put it in something that was printed ahead of time, so it's not like I'm just saying it.  :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I think redsoxfan is going to need shoulder surgery soon, from patting himself on the back so much...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

He is so far down the list of concerns its not even funny.  Put him in the middle of the order, let him get used to the league, he will save the infield errors and start to hit with power soon.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

We need to be patient, just as Gonzalez needs to be.  His inside-out power will eventually come.  But right now, his shoulder is still getting stronger, the weather has been cold, and a succession of lefty starters have been busting him inside.  Besides, it's not like he is hitting .150.  He's getting hits, and RBIs.  It's all the starters hitting below the Mendoza line that are the problem, especially the "table-setters," Ellsbury and Crawford.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

AGON needs to learn new pitchers and and new league, he will be fine.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

I say release him and eat the balance of his $154 million contract.  It's just money.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

AGon's slow start scares me because I didnt see a whole lot of him and was basically relying on word of mouth about his power/hitting....so far he looks to have as much pop in his bat as Cameron....totally overrated but you have to believe it is the injury and he is recovering slowly...let's hope it is because I was so looking forward to seeing him put holes in that monster going the other way.

Crawford just looks like Renteria at this point - snakebitten, uncomfortable, and intimidated - that scares me even more

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

The guy is gonna hit, he'll get his power #'s up, particularly in Fenway--hes gonna rake there all summer long.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is anybody concerned about AGon? : I second that.
    Posted by joel49[/QUOTE]

third. does anyone remember he was restricted in spring training, swinging off a tee as opposed to live BP, until the last few weeks of the season?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpikeCunn5. Show SpikeCunn5's posts

Posted by wvwc61[/QUOTE]

He had shoulder surgery at the end of last year I am not going to worry about his power till next year myself.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

[QUOTE]I think redsoxfan is going to need shoulder surgery soon, from patting himself on the back so much...
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

I'm not patting myself on the back.  Just sharing my opinion.  I'm fully aware that my prediction of a slow start could have been wrong.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]AGon's slow start scares me because I didnt see a whole lot of him and was basically relying on word of mouth about his power/hitting....so far he looks to have as much pop in his bat as Cameron....totally overrated but you have to believe it is the injury and he is recovering slowly...let's hope it is because I was so looking forward to seeing him put holes in that monster going the other way. Crawford just looks like Renteria at this point - snakebitten, uncomfortable, and intimidated - that scares me even more
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

... except that Cam never even came close to touching the shadow of the shadow of A-Gon's power numbers, or any numbers for that matter.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Not at all. He's having a slow start, much like a number of others are. He'll get it together. This guy is the real deal.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]AGon's slow start scares me because I didnt see a whole lot of him and was basically relying on word of mouth about his power/hitting....so far he looks to have as much pop in his bat as Cameron....totally overrated but you have to believe it is the injury and he is recovering slowly...let's hope it is because I was so looking forward to seeing him put holes in that monster going the other way. Crawford just looks like Renteria at this point - snakebitten, uncomfortable, and intimidated - that scares me even more
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

The guy plays in every game, every year and drives in 100 runs in his sleep.  How can you overrate that?  All you would have to do is watch San Diego play on the MLB package and you would have seen all you need to see.  The guy had an injury taken care of and didn't miss any games last year in spite of the shoulder.  The power numbers will come.  If you can't be a bit patient with that, you can never have any patience.

25. This post has been removed.