Is anybody concerned about AGon?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Is anybody concerned about AGon?

jim, im telling you what i think based on what i have seen and admit i didnt see him in SD....do you even read the posts or just make it up in your head?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In the long run, Gonzalez will be fine. He is a professional hitter. I think there may have been some exaggerated expectations of how much power he would show.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

In Response to Re: Is anybody concerned about AGon?:
    [QUOTE]jim, im telling you what i think based on what i have seen and admit i didnt see him in SD....do you even read the posts or just make it up in your head?
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

But you're basing it off of almost nothing.  That's what jim is saying.  Anyone can watch 17 games and assume a certain player is good or bad.  It doesn't mean that's actually true.  A-Gon has proven time and time again that he's a very good hitter.  Maybe it's just that rational part of my brain speaking out of turn, but I'm going to trust what I've seen over the last three years, and not so much what I've seen in a very small set of games.  I could be wrong.  That's always a chance.  Still, the chances that I'm right and you're wrong are pretty good.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poster71. Show poster71's posts

No.  Next question.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

This is Adrian Gonzalez. He will give you quality ABs all the time and go through blazing hot streaks where he can carry a team on his back. In 2009 he hit 20 of his 40 HRs in two months. 2008 15 of his 36 were in the first two months. He typically has been a fast starter as far as HR go, but he is coming off of an injury and an abbreviated ST.

And playing in the Northeast in April isn't the same as the playing in the west either. Add to those factors that he is a new league and it is of little concern, at least to me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

maybe i wasnt a clear as i thought i was - when i say he is overated i did not mean to say that he was as a mlb player - i simply meant to say at this point given the hype about him and what i have seen, he is obviously overated...but i trust that he's not because there is no way all these people who watched him play can be wrong...i believe he is the real deal - just not at this time because of injuries/slow start...i look forward to seeing him do his normal work....Crawford on the other hand seems unsettled and I am having Renteria flashbacks

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]jim, im telling you what i think based on what i have seen and admit i didnt see him in SD....do you even read the posts or just make it up in your head?

I read the post.  That is why I commented.  You said you didn't see much but still made your own determination that he was overrated.  If you did not have a basis, how could you determine if he was overrated?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Georom4, I think Crawford is just very frustrated. I don't think it is the market as much as he started trying so hard out the gate to prove he is "worth his salary".

Probably did not help things that the RS opened the year with him in the #3 spot, a place traditionally reserved for a team's very best hitter.

I never have understood the general acceptance that CC was worthy of the type of contract he got by the media and the seemingly the baseball establishment. But I don't think he is going to be anywhere near this bad over a full season or the life of the contract.

I am sure there will be days soon where he goes 3-4, with a BB, HR and 2 SB and make two web gems in the OF and we will be smiling.

But he is a 50 SB, 15 HR, .340 -.350 OBP guy with a sweet glove, who struggles against LH pitching and no more. How that ever equated $147M I'll never know except when compared to the $125M that Werth got from the Nats.

Soon as Crawford gets past trying to play like a $147M player (since he isn't), he will play his game and there will be lots to smile about since we don't sign those checks. IMO.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

I thought they got him for his speed on the base paths.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]I thought they got him for his speed on the base paths.
    Posted by aussiewill[/QUOTE]I assume you are talking about Crawford? If so, the way he is going so far, his speed is of little use until they allow the batter to steal 1B.
    Wink

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]AGon's slow start scares me because I didnt see a whole lot of him and was basically relying on word of mouth about his power/hitting....so far he looks to have as much pop in his bat as Cameron....totally overrated but you have to believe it is the injury and he is recovering slowly...let's hope it is because I was so looking forward to seeing him put holes in that monster going the other way. Crawford just looks like Renteria at this point - snakebitten, uncomfortable, and intimidated - that scares me even more

I agree. Crawford is folding under the pressure of Beantown. He looks very uncomfortable in LF and real tight at the plate.
    If I were Theo, I would first immediately fire Dave Magadan, the guy's worthless as a hitting coach. i would then instruct Crawford to start bunting to get on base. Once he has a few bunt base hits and fells he's contributing, he may relax
    more at the plate.
    I would then tell him to play deeper in LF so he can get a better feel for the wall. if some hits fall in so be it. It's better than having them hit over his head.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is anybody concerned about AGon? : I'm not patting myself on the back.  Just sharing my opinion.  I'm fully aware that my prediction of a slow start could have been wrong.
    Posted by redsoxfan791[/QUOTE]

No explanation needed 791. Just keep doing what you do. Your insights are much appreciated and if you ruffle a few feathers along the way, they'll get over it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is anybody concerned about AGon? : I agree. Crawford is folding under the pressure of Beantown. He looks very uncomfortable in LF and real tight at the plate. If I were Theo, I would first immediately fire Dave Magadan, the guy's worthless as a hitting coach. i would then instruct Crawford to start bunting to get on base. Once he has a few bunt base hits and fells he's contributing, he may relax more at the plate. I would then tell him to play deeper in LF so he can get a better feel for the wall. if some hits fall in so be it. It's better than having them hit over his head.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Crawford actually has been putting good wood on the ball the last few games.  I think he was indeed dazed by the Beantown bright lights, but looks like he might be coming around.

Sections
Shortcuts