Is anyone else concerned about our pitching talent coming up from the farm?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Is anyone else concerned about our pitching talent coming up from the farm?

We were looking good with Britton and then he tanked. I was never sold on Pimentel and now he looks like a boat anchor in the Mariana trench. Ranaudo is our top pitching prospect but he's not lighting up the charts. Hernandez has good numbers but does he have mlb level stuff? Bowden is rated #28 now on soxprospects but I still have some hope that he can contribute as a reliever some.

Wieland, Wilson, Workman, Miller...#4 or 5 guys probably or relievers. 

Tazawa had a good outing today and maybe is on his way back. Doubront is useful to me although I question his stuff long term. So far he is the best of the lot behind Ranaudo. With the exception of Ranaudo I'm not that excited and even there I'm not sure he is more than a #3 or 4. Hopefully we sign Barnes and he pans out well. I think it's one of our weakest areas within the existing farm talent.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: Is anyone else concerned about our pitching talent coming up from the farm?

Raul Alcantara looks promising.  He can hit 95 with movement, and he's only 18.  I like Doubront, and Andrew Miller is pretty much the equivalent of a prospect. 

The rotation is pretty much set for better or worse for the next few years, so if we had anybody knocking on the door, what good would it to us?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Projecting pitching requires a longer telescope.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Ranaudo has the arm to be an ace, *if* he develops (and stays healthy). I tend to agree on the rest, but with pitchers who really knows?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Right now we are very thin in the minors pitching-wise

Not a concern right now w/ our current staff but it will be in 2 years.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

I'm not concerned because the Red Sox 1-4 (I guess 1-3, 5) are all locked up for at least the next 3 years.  That leave one flexible spot for an up and coming starter.  Ranaudo may end up being that guy but if not, I'll take my chances on someone else emerging.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from therimrattler. Show therimrattler's posts

it does not seem that any of the minor league pitchers have any stats that might measure up to the current hitting stats of middlebrooks and lavarnway, but that does not mean that a few of them will not be of significant use to the major league team in the next several years.

if you check the ERA, strikeouts/walks, etc leaders in most of the minor leagues you will also find that most of the other clubs do not seem to have pitchers with exceptional numbers either.

perhaps it would be interesting to be able to check back a few years for minor league stats on some of the young guys that have just recently made it to the majors.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mechrisuk. Show mechrisuk's posts

All you need to do is look at Bard, how much do we love him now.  Well in the farm as a starter he was a walk machine.  Take somebody like Britton, okay so he is being challanged as a starter now (not completely dismissing how though) but maybe his stuff plays as a pen guy.  Lefty with mid 90's out of the pen, sounds good eh!  Ranuado is still only in his 1st full year of pro ball, and is doing okay.  Pimental was always young for the levels he was at but I can't deny he has struggled something awful this year.   Workman is not a dud and could develop into a 5th guy in the rotation which is has value.  As you've said we've got Barnes (probable signing) and theres Owens as well (another likey signing) still to come. 

Overall I agree it's pretty thin however look at postional players jeeze it's stacked.  Lavarnway, Middlebrooks, Brentz, Chiang, Kalish, Iglesias, Bogaerts, Head, Jacobs, Coyle, Cechinni.  They're not all going to work out but man there is a lot of potential there.     

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

The problem with a successful team year after year is that your draft picks are low and the best position players and pitchers are gone by the time that you have a pick. Aren't we lucky that Theo has done as well as he has in this scenario. How about some gratitude instead of criticism for a change? I know that life is a bit-ch being a Red Sox fan, but --------------. After all, you could be a Mariners fan, poor Hill.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'm thinking that Renaudo and Workman are ony a couple of months into their carers.  Maybe let's give until the end of their first minor league system.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The--Babe----------. Show -The--Babe----------'s posts

It's kinda expected that the sawx would have a lull here. Over the past few years they have brought up paps, lester, buch and bard and traded kelly and masterson.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

A lot of the names you mentioned for pitchers have all been challenged this year with promotions to another level..Pimentel just got promoted to AA this year and still has to adjust.During which he, like most pitchers, will struggle a little..Hes only 21 still..Britton is in Salem this year from Greenville last year..He had TJ surgery and last year was his first full season back..Ranaudo jumped from Gville to salem this year too..And Wilson looks to be a mid/back of the rotation guy. Its too hard to predict pitching prospects, especially in the lower levels..Give it another year or 2 years and we all should have a clearer picture..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

successful team year after year is that your draft picks are low and the best position players and pitchers are gone by the time that you have a pick. Aren't we lucky that Theo has done as well as he has in this scenario. How about some gratitude instead of criticism for a change? I know that life is a bit-ch being a Red Sox fan

Slightly off-topic but on the subject of drafting late b/c of finish and FA draft pick losses.  I was surprised when I read that the last NYY drafted power hitter who made it:  Mike Lowell.  The Sox aren't much better:  Nixon, Youk, and Nomar.

I don't have the names in front of me, but I think some of Theo's draft success in the last 4 years or so, has come from going over-slot.

It only takes one or two to make it, but I would say the farm system is pretty poor by recent standards.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobLoblaw2005a. Show BobLoblaw2005a's posts

In Response to Re: Is anyone else concerned about our pitching talent coming up from the farm?:
    [QUOTE]Right now we are very thin in the minors pitching-wise Not a concern right now w/ our current staff but it will be in 2 years.....
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]
    Maybe if we're lucky now we can dump Beckett for a PTBNL and make some room.

15. This post has been removed.