Is anyone else happy the Sox whiffed on Teixeira?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Is anyone else happy the Sox whiffed on Teixeira?

There was a lot of teeth grinding and wailing in RSN when Mark Teixeira spurned the Red Sox for the Yankees, but from today's perspective it looks like the best thing that could have happened. I mean getting Teix means no Gonzo, and Gonzo could be one of the best hitters I've ever seen on the Red Sox, and I've been a Red Sox fan for quite a while. Personally I couldn't be more thrilled with the way things turned out regarding 1B.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Is anyone else happy the Sox whiffed on Teixeira?

I would have welcomed him here, but he didnt want anything to do with Boston as it turns out..In hindsight, Im vey happy Mr Ed is going to be grazing the grass in da Bronx for the rest of his career because we got, what I think, is an all around better player. Not taking anything away from Tex, But I like Gonzo better..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Carnie, not looking to sway, but in fairness you can't for certain say that Teixiera wouldn't have had a positive impact for the Sox, he possibly could have topped his first year Yankee numbers, admittedly there's no way to know for sure he would have escaped injury, but i think he'd mash in that lineup, don't get me wrong, i'd be among the first to tell you how good AG is, all i'm saying is had it worked out with all things being equal, Tex would have been a great player for the Sox...and i have no doubt wherever he wound up, AG would have still been AG...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

Jete, I agree Tex would have been a great addition to the team, and I would be happy if he was here.  He plays GG defense and is a great hitter.  

Knowing what I know now, yeah I'd take AGon, I have always liked him.  But the Sox could have Tex, plus the 3 prospects they shipped for AGon...including Casey Kelly.  So if the Sox had Tex, plus those young tradeable prospects, we'd all be happy.

I think AGon is an amazing talent, and seems to be (I have nothing to base it on other than the impression I get watching him) a great human being too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I agree with you jete that Teix would probably have been a very good ballplayer for the Sox, just as he has been for the Yankees. I think both teams have excellent first basemen, and the Yanks will be able to build their lineup sround Teix for years to come. Having said that, I absolutely love Gonzo and think that so far he's been even better than I thought he would be. And I caught some SD games out here in SF and thought he would be very good in Boston.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: Is anyone else happy the Sox whiffed on Teixeira?:
    [QUOTE]I would have welcomed him here, but he didnt want anything to do with Boston as it turns out..In hindsight, Im vey happy Mr Ed is going to be grazing the grass in da Bronx for the rest of his career because we got, what I think, is an all around better player. Not taking anything away from Tex, But I like Gonzo better..
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

i always thought PETTITTE was MR ED.
    TEX reminds me more of GOOFY.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Very insightful post the_yazzer. So who do you like better, Teix or Gonzo?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

In hindsight yes, but just remember when your looking back you will see your own a z z!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

Carnie, isn't it your son that is working in radio in Dayton? My memory is kinda lacking anymore.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

I am sure that Tex would have been a great fit here if he had wanted to be here. Agon will have an outstanding career with the Sox. Either player would have done very well here.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

[QUOTE]Jete, I agree Tex would have been a great addition to the team, and I would be happy if he was here.  He plays GG defense and is a great hitter.   Knowing what I know now, yeah I'd take AGon, I have always liked him.  But the Sox could have Tex, plus the 3 prospects they shipped for AGon...including Casey Kelly.  So if the Sox had Tex, plus those young tradeable prospects, we'd all be happy. I think AGon is an amazing talent, and seems to be (I have nothing to base it on other than the impression I get watching him) a great human being too.
    Posted by jarretfromportsmouth[/QUOTE]
     I agree with this. I'd rather have AGon than Tex, but I'd rather have Tex, Kelly, Rizzo, and Fuentes than AGon alone. Besides, I think that the main reason that Teixeira's average has dropped so much is that after his first year in Yankee Stadium, when he nearly won the MVP but lost to Joe Mauer, he realized how shallow the right field wall was. He started to try and pull the ball, and as a result his average has plummeted. If he played in Fenway, I'm sure his average would be higher. Also, if we commited the money to Lowe that offseason, we would have had no need for Lackey. And even if we hadn't signed Lowe, we wouldn't have had the money to sign Lackey because of the 20 million plus we would have commited to Tex. With Rizzo and Fuentes essentially blocked, we could have traded for Justin Upton last offseason instead of Gonzalez because we would have had Tex. So is Gonzo better than Tex? Yes. But would the team potentially be better if we had signed Tex instead of trading for Gonzo? Yes also.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Bottom line: I like Mark Teixeira. Great glove, terrific power hitter. But I like our guy more and wouldn't trade him for anyone.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Carnie, isn't it your son that is working in radio in Dayton? My memory is kinda lacking anymore.
    Posted by promise4you[/QUOTE]Not me. You must be thinking of someone else.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Texiera would have been playing in Boston for those years, instead of the Yankees. Tex with Youk and Bay could have made a big difference in 2009.
    I love people trashing him, because the Sox got Gonzalez. As I said in another thread, look at both player's career stats. Not close at all.
    Plus, Texiera may be the best fielding 1st baseman ever.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Trying to 20-20 hindsight guys because we have a MVP at 1b is sort of like saying what if Gore had won Florida over Bush....It's fruitless. I'm not happy Tex landed with Yankees. They have 1 WS title to Sox none since that move. 39 HR, 122 RBI, .292 average and gold glove defense in 2009. So, no not happy they "whiffed." They didn't whiff either, Tex wanted to play in NY.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

[QUOTE]Texiera would have been playing in Boston for those years, instead of the Yankees. Tex with Youk and Bay could have made a big difference in 2009. I love people trashing him, because the Sox got Gonzalez. As I said in another thread, look at both player's career stats. Not close at all. Plus, Texiera may be the best fielding 1st baseman ever.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

Mazz was wrong on Teix, he has slipped from greatness to good and he is not even close to the best defensive 1st basemen ever.  He has had an average UZR in 4 of the last 6 years.  He is 16th in OPS at 1B.

He is over-rated!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

In answer to your querstion:

Yes and double yes.

Waiting for A-Gon was so totally worth it. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Using this years stats to justify a career is just fraud.
    Zone ratings are a joke, only enjoyed by stat geeks and Theo lovers.
    You know, the ones that say Ellsbury is a terrible CF? Yeah, just garbage.
    God forbid, we actually go by what we see. Must be why Tex is on the fielding highlight seemingly every night, and why pitchers he plays with love him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

When Tex wasn't signed I was disappointed but not unhappy. He clearly didn't want to play in Boston and Youk is no slouch at 1st. I didn't see much if any down side. Then came Gonzo. I had heard he was good, but...just WOW!

Sure,Tex would most likely have put up some impressive numbers for the Sox and it would have been good to still have those prospects, but that's business.
    At the end of the day I'm very happy that Adrian Gonzalez is wearing a Red Sox uniform.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Teixeira preferred New York to Boston. Gonzalez seems perfectly happy to play in Boston. So yes, I'm happy we ended up with the All-Star 1B who likes it here. Remember the last time we threw a ton of money at a great player who didn't really want to come? Manny spent half his career here regretting the choice.

Of course, if Teixeira had come to Boston we might have had a better shot in 2009 and/or 2010.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Happy, no, nor am I unhappy...

In the winter of 2008 I was very excited about the posibilty of him signing with us. He was then and still is among the best in the game at his position and would have been a great aquisiton...Signing someone with his ability, a switch hitter with legit 40 homer power who would have served to solidify the middle of the order for the foreseeable future (it never hurts to have a guy at first that can pick it!) would ahve been huge.

The reality is that with both teams resources, whomever didn't get him, the other would've set thier sights on the next best player to fill the need. In our case we went out and got Martinez and then added Beltre in 2010, becasue we already had a pretty good first baseman (Youk). And focused our attention on the aquisition of Gonzales a trade that was in the works since mid 2009...

Let's not forget that In 2009 without Texiera, we still made the post season. the Yank's won it but I don't think it was becasue of Texiera (he played a key role) but most of the credit for winning was due to thier pitching! Let's not forget they signed CC and Burnett before adding Texiera. Who along with Petitte were a formitable trio in the postseason, where the calendar allowed them to go with a 3 man rotation and they had what I would say was a favorable matchup with the Philles with a lefty dominant line-up.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, "Big Gums" is overrated. Take his lefty swing out of that short porch in RF at Yankee Stadium and he has nowhere near the homeruns. Adrian Gonzalez is clearly superior.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Big year but look at the back of their baseball cards. "Clearly" is a tough word to apply here.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Is anyone else happy the Sox whiffed on Teixeira?:
    [QUOTE]There was a lot of teeth grinding and wailing in RSN when Mark Teixeira spurned the Red Sox for the Yankees, but from today's perspective it looks like the best thing that could have happened. I mean getting Teix means no Gonzo, and Gonzo could be one of the best hitters I've ever seen on the Red Sox, and I've been a Red Sox fan for quite a while. Personally I couldn't be more thrilled with the way things turned out regarding 1B.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Carnie,

You and Southpaw covered it pretty well.

I know it's hard to tell...

But I'm thrilled Adrian is here.

And no longer mind someone else

has someone else.

;o)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Of course, if Teixeira had come to Boston we might have had a better shot in 2009 and/or 2010.

2009 ok but the play of Beltre/ Youk last year was elite.

Using this years stats to justify a career is just fraud.

The OP is about 2009 to present.

Teix OBP   Road OPS   LD%   Pop-up%

11 .352   .822      16.8      14.2
    10 .365   .728      19.0      13.6
    09 .383   .882      19.8       9.6
    08 .410   .900      20.7       7.9
    07 .400   .970      19.8        8.9

Zone ratings are a joke, only enjoyed by stat geeks and Theo lovers.
    You know, the ones that say Ellsbury is a terrible CF? 

Two metrics have the Sox D as 1st or 3rd in MLB, Theo and his damn attention to stats!

Career UZR/150 has Teix (5) and Ells in CF (3.9) as about equal as fielders. I am sure Royals fans love their anti-UZR GM signing Bettencourt, et al.....

God forbid, we actually go by what we see. Must be why Tex is on the fielding highlight seemingly every night, and why pitchers he plays with love him.     

This is a joke, right?                 

Sections
Shortcuts