Is anyone worried A-Gon has...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Is anyone worried A-Gon has...

ZERO homeruns this spring and is headed up north for a good 2 months of cold baseball weather? I know he has spoken about how confident he is in himself and the team. I also know he isn't a fly ball hitter like say a Texeira is. But if he is batting in the heart of the order I would like to see some bigger hits from him. He had a lot of GDP last year and as great as he was last year I think he can do better. Not too much to ask, right? I am more aware than worried at this point with his lack of power, but if he is sitting at 5-7 homeruns after 2 months I definitely will be concerned.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Is anyone worried A-Gon has...

Not worried a bit. Gonzo will always have a lot of GiDPs, just like Jim Rice did because he hits the ball hard and runs slow. I'm looking for Gonzo to have a bigger year this year than he did last year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Ironically I just read an article, after i posted this, about A-Gon being in the hunt for the triple crown this year. It's laughable to think he could beat guys like. Pujols, Braun, Cabrera, Fielder, etc in the home run department. I just can't see it happening.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Not really laughable at all. He was a 40 hr hitter in San Diego, for Williams' sake !
    His road splits as a Padre showed huge hr potential, and as long as he's kept out of the darn hr derby he'll be just fine.
    Gonzalez was still tailoring his swing, stance, and approach to Fenway last year with a bum shoulder and seemed to do fairly well, as I recollect.
    Spring training stats for established ML veterans are worth the proverbial bucket of warm spit.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Is anyone worried A-Gon has...:
    Ironically I just read an article, after i posted this, about A-Gon being in the hunt for the triple crown this year. It's laughable to think he could beat guys like. Pujols, Braun, Cabrera, Fielder, etc in the home run department. I just can't see it happening.
    Posted by freediro
    Really? Albert is playing in a pitcher's park this year. Prince could have a big year in Detroit, but Gonzo is likely to have a second half to equal his first half last year this year. Remember he was coming off shoulder surgery last year. I could definitely see Adrian putting up the same kind of BA as last year with 40+ HR this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

I am not saying he can't hit 40 homeruns, but with all the homerun hitters in MLB it will be hard to compete. So maybe it's not laughable, but a triple crown requires a good amount of luck on your behalf and bad luck for everyone else. However I do agree with you guys, with a year at Fenway and a healthier shoulder, I would assume he can put up top 5 numbers in most all hitting categories.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I am not saying he can't hit 40 homeruns, but with all the homerun hitters in MLB it will be hard to compete. So maybe it's not laughable, but a temple crown requires a good amount of luck and bad luck for everyone else. However I do agree with you guys, with a year at Fenway and a healthier shoulder, I would assume he can put up top 5 numbers in most all hitting categories.
    Posted by freediro
    The triple crown would be tough, after all nobody's done it since 1967, almost half a century. I do think Gonzo can contend all year though, and what more can you realistically ask? So no, I'm not worried about Adrian, I'd be more likely to worry about Pedey than Adrian. Feel free to hold me up to ridicule if I'm wrong.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Completely agree. How this teams idiot Medical Staff let him compete in a homerun derby which meant nothing to the team with a surgically repaired shoulder. How did that decision look in September. I hate the Yankees but every Allstar break many of the Yankee players come up with mysterious injuries keeping them from playing, like Jeter, Arod, Rivera that are miraculously healed after the Allstar break. The Yankees see the big picture which is not getting hurt in a meaningless game and getting the team in the playoffs. In response to "Re: Is anyone worried A-Gon has...":
    Not really laughable at all. He was a 40 hr hitter in San Diego, for Williams' sake ! His road splits as a Padre showed huge hr potential, and as long as he's kept out of the darn hr derby he'll be just fine. Gonzalez was still tailoring his swing, stance, and approach to Fenway last year with a bum shoulder and seemed to do fairly well, as I recollect. Spring training stats for established ML veterans are worth the proverbial bucket of warm spit. Posted by jimedfred

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Barring injuries this should be a great year for AGon...he knows how they pitch him and most of the pitchers...has protection in the lineup but I am not looking triple crown...just would be happy with the kind of season they are paying him to have. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

He may simply be evolving from the home run hitter the Sox thought they were getting. He went through the summer last year with only a handful and has just gone an entire spring without one. No question he hits for average, but Fenway may be shaping him into what he really is. Not much wrong with .325-.330 and 25-28 HRs. Just different than the hype and expectations.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

How many people on the forum predicted a triple cown for AGon? Was it one? What a lame reason to start a stupid thread.
    Posted by Firefligh2008

You sir are a complete fool, actually I am sure y
    ou're about as smart as the guy in your avatar. 
    First off, no one predicted and no one said anyone did. Second the thread wasn't started about the triple crown. So why don't you go back and read my original post or actually contribute something useful.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Is anyone worried A-Gon has...:
    ZERO homeruns this spring and is headed up north for a good 2 months of cold baseball weather? I know he has spoken about how confident he is in himself and the team. I also know he isn't a fly ball hitter like say a Texeira is. But if he is batting in the heart of the order I would like to see some bigger hits from him. He had a lot of GDP last year and as great as he was last year I think he can do better. Not too much to ask, right? I am more aware than worried at this point with his lack of power, but if he is sitting at 5-7 homeruns after 2 months I definitely will be concerned.
    Posted by freediro

If you know all the  things you say you know ... then why be so worried?

You also forget he goes on HR tears ...

But no. no worries....

Unless you are expecting 45 HRs and 150 RBIs ...  

Like I am   :o)

But still no worries.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Is anyone worried A-Gon has... : If you know all the  things you say you know ... then why be so worried? You also forget he goes on HR tears ... But no. no worries.... Unless you are expecting 45 HRs and 150 RBIs ...   Like I am   :o) But still no worries.
    Posted by SinceYaz
    Can you say Jimmie Foxx?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: Is anyone worried A-Gon has... : Can you say Jimmie Foxx?
    Posted by carnie

I can even say it backwards!!!   Or him ...since he wasn't an it...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

I'm the least bit worried about A - Gon, on the contrary I think he is the best Hitter and 1st Baseman in Baseball. All Bias aside. Now I didn't say Player I said HITTER. Especially playing in the AL I think it helps him the most out of any 1st Baseman in Baseball. Like someone else he hit 40 Homers in the NL West in Petco Park and other Pitcher Friendly ballparks. That is no small feat! He came in 2nd place at the Home Run derby for a reason, he has a lot of power and a sweet swing. I truely think if Adrians shoulder was healthy he would of hit .340 with 40 Home Runs and 135 RBI's. In the past after the All Star break Adrians numbers usually improved NOT declined.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I'm the least bit worried about A - Gon, on the contrary I think he is the best Hitter and 1st Baseman in Baseball. All Bias aside. Now I didn't say Player I said HITTER. Especially playing in the AL I think it helps him the most out of any 1st Baseman in Baseball. Like someone else he hit 40 Homers in the NL West in Petco Park and other Pitcher Friendly ballparks. That is no small feat! He came in 2nd place at the Home Run derby for a reason, he has a lot of power and a sweet swing. I truely think if Adrians shoulder was healthy he would of hit .340 with 40 Home Runs and 135 RBI's. In the past after the All Star break Adrians numbers usually improved NOT declined.
    Posted by JohnnyLefty

dem fine post, Lefty

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Posted by freediro

Why is Braun in the discussion?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

Posted by freediro

Nope - not worried at all about Agon.  He's the least of our worries.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Posted by freediro

Why worry?  You can look at the guys entire pro career or you can look at spring training as a guideline.  It's up to you.

Sections
Shortcuts