Is Aviles gonna hold up as our right handed hitting outfielder

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sundvl20. Show sundvl20's posts

Is Aviles gonna hold up as our right handed hitting outfielder

Or is there someone out there Sox can get past Yankees thru waiver wire

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Re: Is Aviles gonna hold up as our right handed hitting outfielder

I think Aviles is the guy.  Reddick has been an everyday player... not a platoon guy so I can't see them going out of their way for another OFer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Let's hope so. Is there a reason to believe he won't? Anyway, I wouldn't look for to much help via waivers. Also the roster expands in a couple of weeks and they'll get some help then.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sundvl20. Show sundvl20's posts

so far he looks like a good addition. is there a player from 04 or 07 you can compare him to?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

DMac is the 4th OF'er and RH'd. Since Tito will wrongfully never bench Crawford vs LHPs, except for normal rest, we don't really need Aviles in the OF much.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Generally , I think a shortstop has the skills that can be adapted to outfield play. Aviles needs more experience in right before he can really be trusted. Can get it next spring, if he is still with the Sox.  Always good to have a versatile guy who can play infield and outfield.  When rosters expand, Sox might still have a shot at Francoeur. Doubt the Yankees would be interested in him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

He won't play RF that much, kind of a moot point.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

moon........Thats the logic that should prevail but in TF's head he sees a different scenario.People that never played OF before this year have made appearances in the OF, A-GON - Aviles and quite possibly more to be named. I don't think Aviles can hold up as an OF'er over the long haul. He never played there before in his professional career. We can't expect this guy to make plays that border on the somewhat difficult. Other guys, Navarro and Sutton, when inserted in the lineup as outfielders last month, made errors. It's a recipe for disaster.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

He could be a very good IF utility. PH of the bench vs.LHP or to lay down a nice bunt, and even pinch run..I dont trust his OF "skills" though...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

DMac is the 4th OF'er and RH'd. Since Tito will wrongfully never bench Crawford vs LHPs, except for normal rest, we don't really need Aviles in the OF much.

Sox4ever

Is DMac on PO roster?  Drew? Lowrie? Aviles?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

I was assuming that the OP meant for the rest of the season and not as a permanent solution.  I don't see the pressing need for an every day RH hitting OF at this time. If you ask me, the offense is looking pretty good as is.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I like what I've seen out of him so far. This is a minor point but in the 8th inning last night he tried and failed on the first pitch to bunt Reddick over to 2nd after Reddick had led off the inning with a walk. I'm not blaming Aviles. I can understand that he missed the first opportunity, but what I don't get is why they then took the bunt signal off. He proceeded to hit into a double play, followed by a sharp single to right by Ellsbury that probably would have plated Reddick had he been moved over to second. It didn't change the outcome of the game one iota, but as a strategy I don't mind seeing the bottom of the order use the sacrifice to set up the better hitters at the top of the order, especially late in a game when you're looking for one run or simply an insurance run.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

The Sox would have a better chance of winning the WS w/ Francoeur playing RF against LHP.  There are quite a few quality LH pitchers on the likely PO teams.

Aviles has a solid SB% which would be nice for PR in the PO.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Is Aviles gonna hold up as our right handed hitting outfielder:
    DMac is the 4th OF'er and RH'd. Since Tito will wrongfully never bench Crawford vs LHPs, except for normal rest, we don't really need Aviles in the OF much. Sox4ever Is DMac on PO roster?  Drew? Lowrie? Aviles?
    Posted by tom-uk

A good question(s).

If nothing changes between now and then, I'd say we drop a pitcher from the 25 man roster and go with something like this:

14 position players:
    Papi
    Salty
    VTek
    AGon
    Pedey
    Scutty
    Aviles
    Lowrie
    Youk
    Craw
    Ellsb
    Redd
    DMac
    Drew or Sutton

11 pitchers
    Beckett
    Lester
    Bedard
    Lackey
    Wake
    Aceves
    Papelbon
    Bard
    Albers
    Wheeler
    1 of Jenks, Miller, or Morales

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sundvl20. Show sundvl20's posts

I understand DMac is the current 4th o.f., but the fact they have given Aviles some time out there tells me they have no intention of going with DMac in the postseason against a potential Hamels, Lee combo. I agree with getting Franceur.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I already am finding numerous reasons to like Aviles.

His versatility , his offense and his willingness to be a bench player when he could easily start with many teams.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Is Aviles gonna hold up as our right handed hitting outfielder:
    I understand DMac is the current 4th o.f., but the fact they have given Aviles some time out there tells me they have no intention of going with DMac in the postseason against a potential Hamels, Lee combo. I agree with getting Franceur.
    Posted by feelec

They may not play either DMac or Aviles, but go with Reddick or AGon (in NL park) in RF.

DMac has played in 7 games (26 innings in the OF) since July 30th (9 PAs).

Aviles has played just 9 innings in the OF since joining the Sox and has 4 PAs as an OF'er since joining the Sox. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. The Sox might have just been seeing what he can do out there in case we need a 5th OF'er.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Red Sox OF is all set for playoff pitchers are Rh, Red Sox will go with lh batters. Reddick is destroying lhp, big sample, so Aviles and DMac round out things.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to Is Aviles gonna hold up as our right handed hitting outfielder:
     Or is there someone out there Sox can get past Yankees thru waiver wire
    Posted by feelec

Unless he's a lefty with a big sweeping delivery I have no problem sending Reddick to the plate.  I don't expect Aviles to see that much action in right field for the simple reason he's not an outfielder. McDonald will likely fill in for Reddick as often as Aviles. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

It appears to me that Tito just likes having that do everything , Bill Hall type guy on the roster. I don't get benching Reddick to put Aviles in RF for the first time since HS or whatever. I don't get that for a second. The guy hasn't hit for a long time although his splits are not bad. He's not an OF level bat. If anything we'd be better off trotting McDonald out there.

What this all tells me is that 1) They want to make sure they have someone who can play backup infielder for them who is worthy of being on the roster in case Lowrie or Scutaro go down OR 2) They have near zero faith in McDonald at this point OR 3) They plan on carrying an extra pitcher in the playoffs and want a supersub type like Aviles to help cover them everywhere OR ( finally ) 4) They think that Aviles might emerge again as a decent player if they give him regular AB. Some guys are just not cut out to be subs. Some guys need regular playing time to keep their stroke offensively.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I think Tito just likes having that kind of guy on the roster. They groomed Navarro for that slot. Tito has talked about others in that sort of slot, even last winter if I remember correctly he talked about how much he liked Willie Boomquist. I think that is the biggest factor.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Is Aviles gonna hold up as our right handed hitting outfielder : A good question(s). If nothing changes between now and then, I'd say we drop a pitcher from the 25 man roster and go with something like this: 14 position players: Papi Salty VTek AGon Pedey Scutty Aviles Lowrie Youk Craw Ellsb Redd DMac Drew or Sutton 11 pitchers Beckett Lester Bedard Lackey Wake Aceves Papelbon Bard Albers Wheeler 1 of Jenks, Miller, or Morales
    Posted by moonslav59

I think Drew.  Sutton being a RH IF won't serve much of a purpose with both Aviles and Lowrie in there.  On the pitchers, I'd opt for both Morales and Miller instead of Wake.  Miller isn't much, but I think I'd prefer him for one-out lefty than Wake.  A lot depends on how healthy Bedard is.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I think Tito just likes having that kind of guy on the roster. They groomed Navarro for that slot. Tito has talked about others in that sort of slot, even last winter if I remember correctly he talked about how much he liked Willie Boomquist. I think that is the biggest factor.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom

I'm a big fan of that as well.  There's a lot of ABs for guys that can reasonably play 6 positions.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Is Aviles gonna hold up as our right handed hitting outfielder : I think Drew.  Sutton being a RH IF won't serve much of a purpose with both Aviles and Lowrie in there.  On the pitchers, I'd opt for both Morales and Miller instead of Wake.  Miller isn't much, but I think I'd prefer him for one-out lefty than Wake.  A lot depends on how healthy Bedard is.
    Posted by Joebreidey

Miller's numbers vs LH'd batters: .860 in 2011 (career .826)
    Wake's numbers vs LH'd batters: .695 in 2011 (career .723)
      Wake is about .150 better vs lefties than righties this year.
      Wake is about .040 better vs lefties than righties career.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Hard to believe we need a RF in the postseason. I would want Drew there if it were up to me. No question.

Sections
Shortcuts