Is Aviles the frontrunner to start the AS at SS?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Is Aviles the frontrunner to start the AS at SS?

Right now, it appears that this may be the case.  He's definitely been the most productive SS in the AL up to this point.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Is Aviles the frontrunner to start the AS at SS?

Jeter will be there this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Seriously?

first of all, I am a diehard Red Sox fan and in no way am I voting for Mike Aviles, especially with the terrific season Derek Jeter is having.

With home field at stake, I want the best AL players on the field.  My NL shortstop vote will go to Clint Barmes, but in the AL it really has to be Jeter...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Is Aviles the frontrunner to start the AS at SS?:
    [QUOTE]Right now, it appears that this may be the case.  He's definitely been the most productive SS in the AL up to this point. Thoughts?
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

Aviles at SS, Middlebrooks at 3B, there you go again.

You do realize although it's not fair, even if Jeter were lousy, he'd probably start anyway?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Even the inmates know it's jeter this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

I don't think this question is off-base.  He leads the AL in RBI and is 2nd in HR's for SS's.  Yes, Jeter is having a great year from an average standpoint but Aviles has been more productive.  He's also in a 3 way tie for 2nd in runs.  He and Jeter are also tied in errors at 3 a piece.

Yes, Jeter will likely get the fan votes but I don' think that Aviles should be overlooked here...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In Response to Re: Is Aviles the frontrunner to start the AS at SS?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Is Aviles the frontrunner to start the AS at SS? : Aviles at SS, Middlebrooks at 3B, there you go again. You do realize although it's not fair, even if Jeter were lousy, he'd probably start anyway?
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

thats what happened last year.. he was playing like trash prior to the AS break and  was voted in anyway. i thought it was pretty cool of him not to play in the game though. weather this is true or not i think he knew he didn;t deserve to play in the AS game and sat it out on purpose.

but the hot start jeter is having coupled with him being the of the most popular baseball players of all time means he is a sure thing for the AS game

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think this question is off-base.  He leads the AL in RBI and is 2nd in HR's for SS's.  Yes, Jeter is having a great year from an average standpoint but Aviles has been more productive.  He's also in a 3 way tie for 2nd in runs.  He and Jeter are also tied in errors at 3 a piece. Yes, Jeter will likely get the fan votes but I don' think that Aviles should be overlooked here...

Your idea of productive is skewed for a change. Jeter's OPS is 915, Aviles is 774. Is that your idea of more production? Aviles has one more HR than Jeter; big deal, and a cherry pick if I ever saw one. Jeter's not supposed to be getting RBIs; he's batting leadoff. And if you want to cherry pick; Jeter's hitting .360, Aviles .274; from a BA standpoint, this is not even close. Perhaps you'd rather look at OBP; 406 vs 303; that's even worse. In fact, Jeter's BA is 57 points higher than Aviles' OBP. Your expert assessment just doesn't look good no matter how you slice it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

What about J.J. Hardy of the team with the league's best record? Or Elvis Andrus of the two-time defending AL champs? Or Asdrubal Cabrera of a division-leading club?

Mike Aviles is having a nice season, but no way has Aviles "definitely been the most productive SS in the AL up to this point."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

JJ Hardy has been an absolute beast at the plate recently.

And is one of the best defensive shortstops in the AL...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Is Aviles the frontrunner to start the AS at SS?:
    [QUOTE]Right now, it appears that this may be the case.  He's definitely been the most productive SS in the AL up to this point. Thoughts?
    I'm just checking, but you were kidding, right?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Well, no he won't be the starting SS, but he has rewarded Cherington's gutsy move of trading Scutaro to free up payroll budget for what eventually became the Cody Ross signing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Jeter will get the votes, and I think deservedly this year.  So far, and by far.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Asdrubal Cabrera

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHBALLFAN. Show NHBALLFAN's posts

[QUOTE]Asdrubal Cabrera
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]
    Of course. Anybody but Jeter.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Jeter will get the votes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, and the worst fielding SS in MLB will be there again.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, and the worst fielding SS in MLB will be there again.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

While his limitations are well documented, you apparently haven't been watching the games, or even highlights; and I'm talking about the field; this year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

this is why I really think the Home Field adavntage in the WS thing is stupid...The AS game should be for the fans....a chance to see the starts of the game.....and I would never begrudge a fans of Jeter voting him in....he deserves it for the career he has had....and the way he has hit this year justifies it....but when baseball made he game mean something other than bragging rights, it made having guys elected for their popularity and not their current ability a bad thing for fans of teams who hope to be in the WS

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Aviles the frontrunner to start the AS at SS? : While his limitations are well documented, you apparently haven't been watching the games, or even highlights; and I'm talking about the field; this year.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I stand corrected: second worst.

UZR/150

2012:
    Jeter   -30.3
    Pastornicky  -50.5

2011-2012 (1000+ innings):
    A Cab  -11.9
    Jeter   -13.7

2010-2012 (2,000+):
    Betancourt  -9.7
    D Jeter         -11.6

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Aviles the frontrunner to start the AS at SS? : Sorry, I stand corrected: second worst. UZR/150 2012: Jeter   -30.3 Pastornicky  -50.5 2011-2012 (1000+ innings): A Cab  -11.9 Jeter   -13.7 2010-2012 (2,000+): Betancourt  -9.7 D Jeter         -11.6

That's fine, if you're a believer in UZR, which, while indicative of his range issues, is not even close to the whole story, and whose value as a reliable defensive metric is still widely questioned; ditto RF. If one read your post verbatim, they would guess your overall assessment is strictly based on UZR; a surprising conclusion, given your reputation. I'll assume you're partly jesting.

Perhaps if you become a sportswriter soon, you could prevent his possible unanimous election to the Hall. See? I could talk in jest as well.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

That's fine, if you're a believer in UZR, which, while indicative of his range issues, is not even close to the whole story, and whose value as a reliable defensive metric is still widely questioned; ditto RF. If one read your post verbatim, they would guess your overall assessment is strictly based on UZR; a surprising conclusion, given your reputation. I'll assume you're partly jesting.

No, I am serious. I am not basing it just on UZR/150. I have seen Jeter play many times live and hundreds of times on TV. I have always watched the SS psoition very closely. He has horrible range, gets some questionable no error calls, but does have good instincts, a nice arm especially on relays, and seems to make enough nice highlight plays to fool enough people. Being in NY means every nice play he ever makes makes the Sports Center News.

Perhaps if you become a sportswriter soon, you could prevent his possible unanimous election to the Hall. See? I could talk in jest as well.

I would vote Jete into the Hall based on his hitting and leadership alone. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]That's fine, if you're a believer in UZR, which, while indicative of his range issues, is not even close to the whole story, and whose value as a reliable defensive metric is still widely questioned; ditto RF. If one read your post verbatim, they would guess your overall assessment is strictly based on UZR; a surprising conclusion, given your reputation. I'll assume you're partly jesting. No, I am serious. I am not basing it just on UZR/150. I have seen Jeter play many times live and hundreds of times on TV. I have always watched the SS psoition very closely. He has horrible range, gets some questionable no error calls, but does have good instincts, a nice arm especially on relays, and seems to make enough nice highlight plays to fool enough people. Being in NY means every nice play he ever makes makes the Sports Center News. Perhaps if you become a sportswriter soon, you could prevent his possible unanimous election to the Hall. See? I could talk in jest as well. I would vote Jete into the Hall based on his hitting and leadership alone. 

For the most part, I agree with this. However, I shall remind you of Leyland's opinion on SS range, which is it's overemphasized (Even I'm not so sure about that).

I'll grant you this much; he's the worst SS in MLB to have 5 GGs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I respect Leyland perhaps more than any other manager. I disagree with him on SS range. The numbers show that some SSs make 100-150 more plays over the same amount of innings than poor-ranged SSs. Yes some of that can be attributed to less GB pitching staffs, but I'm a firm believer in the importance of SS range.

I can't prove Jete's the worst, but to me, he's certainly bottom 5 out of 30.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]I respect Leyland perhaps more than any other manager. I disagree with him on SS range. The numbers show that some SSs make 100-150 more plays over the same amount of innings than poor-ranged SSs. Yes some of that can be attributed to less GB pitching staffs, but I'm a firm believer in the importance of SS range. I can't prove Jete's the worst, but to me, he's certainly bottom 5 out of 30.

Also, his postage stamp range (I use this phrase to annoy my brother, who loves Jeter's defense overall) has never cost the Yanks dearly; of course, there's always the possibility of a first time. He has a tendency to carry his clutch play into the field.

If you're a fan of Larry David's CYE, there was a memorable episode where he gets into an argument with someone about the merits of Jeter's defense, which scr-ews him in the end.

Sections
Shortcuts