Is Aviles the frontrunner to start the AS at SS?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Is Aviles the frontrunner to start the AS at SS?

It's hard to tell if it has "cost them dearly" or not, since nobody remembers the grounders just missed as the reason for a loss.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Is Aviles the frontrunner to start the AS at SS?:
    [QUOTE]It's hard to tell if it has "cost them dearly" or not, since nobody remembers the grounders just missed as the reason for a loss.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

True, but there's been no eye sore, like Cruz's arguable misplay of that triple in last yr's WS. That game was above and beyond.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

The AS game selection is a nonsense.

Aviles has been slightly better than Jeter in WAR this year  1.6 to 1.5.  Aviles has been one of the best fielders and Jeter about worst.

Who do you think will perform better for the rest of the year?  Jeter still has speed, 31 IFH 2011 + 12 is amongst leaders, and he has had high BABIP numbers traditionally.

Jeter  BABIP         HR /  FB       XBH

09      .368                 15             46         
    10      .307                 10             43
    11      .336                   7             34
    12      .387                 26             14

Most Aviles stats are normal for him except HR / FB rate up from 7 to 12.

My take, Aviles has been slightly better so far and Jeter will regress with the bat.  Aviles will lose his job if he slumps again, but if he keeps his job he will out-perform Jeter.

Here is Hardy vs Jeter 2011 + 2012:
      chances accepted     innings  ratio     team GB%
    JJ       819                   1505        .54         43.7
    DJ      548                   1332        .41         44.2

Say 1200 innings for a season  x  .54  =   648
                                                      x  .41  =   492
                                                                    156 extra PO + assists - errors

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHBALLFAN. Show NHBALLFAN's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, and the worst fielding SS in MLB will be there again.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
      So if the Yanks didn't have Jeter at SS the last 16 years they probably would have won 2-3 more world series, right??

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Steven/Moon,

I don't understand what's going on.  On the surface you seem to disagree on this subject, but you haven't called each other a moron, a bootlicker or a NYT shill nor have you used correct-but-little-used Latin words and phrases in a lame attempt to make yourselves seem more intelligent.  Please explain.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In Response to Is Aviles the frontrunner to start the AS at SS?:
    [QUOTE]Right now, it appears that this may be the case.  He's definitely been the most productive SS in the AL up to this point. Thoughts?
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

He is? Aviles leads MLB in hits?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/sort/hits

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Steven/Moon, I don't understand what's going on.  On the surface you seem to disagree on this subject, but you haven't called each other a moron, a bootlicker or a NYT shill nor have you used correct-but-little-used Latin words and phrases in a lame attempt to make yourselves seem more intelligent.  Please explain.
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

For the most part we pretty much respect each other; it goes a long way.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Aviles the frontrunner to start the AS at SS? : For the most part we pretty much respect each other; it goes a long way.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Pretty simple, too.  Let's hope it catches on.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]  Aviles will lose his job if he slumps again, but if he keeps his job he will out perform Jeter.Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

You can put away the crystal ball. Nobody knows whether Aviles will slump or out perform Jeter. Time will tell. Right now Jeter is having an outstanding season, especially offensively. At this point he will probably end up starting the All-Star game at SS.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I am a die-hard Red Sox fan.  But Jeter will start the All-Star game. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Is Aviles the frontrunner to start the AS at SS?:
    Yes, and the worst fielding SS in MLB will be there again.
    Posted by moonslav59

So if the Yanks didn't have Jeter at SS the last 16 years they probably would have won 2-3 more world series, right??
      Read my posts. I said Jeter gets my vote to the Hall.
    That doesn't mean I can't think he's one of the worst fielding SSs (based on my opinion that range is a large part of a SSs skillset) over the last 3-4 years.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

True, but there's been no eye sore, like Cruz's arguable misplay of that triple in last yr's WS. That game was above and beyond.

I guess to me, it is an eyesore to not get to 100+ plays that others get to.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here is Hardy vs Jeter 2011 + 2012:
      chances accepted     innings  ratio     team GB%
    JJ       819                   1505        .54         43.7
    DJ      548                   1332        .41         44.2

Say 1200 innings for a season  x  .54  =   648
                                                      x  .41  =   492

156 extra PO + assists - errors

Thanks, tom. The GB% adds some strength to my argument.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]Right now, it appears that this may be the case.  He's definitely been the most productive SS in the AL up to this point. Thoughts?
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE

Homer Thread, Fanboy Strikes Again!!!!
    What a fool he is.

Thoughts?

Also, note the fanboy has been showing up much more with the Sox better play latley when they aren't doing that well he shows up much less.  Thoughts?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Look, I think Jeter probably should be the starter. However, although I was going to rip the premise of the OP like others, on second look at the offensive stats shows Aviles certainly can be part of the conversation..

Jeter has the advantage in BA and OPS.

However Aviles has the advantage in not simply HR and RBI but runs produced (R+RBI-HR).

Jeter: 181 PA, 24 R, 9 2B, 5 HR, 15 RBI, .355 BA, .400 OBP, .500 SLG, .900 OPS
    Aviles: 172 PA, 25 R, 13 2B, 7 HR, 25 RBI, .272 BA, .300 OPB, .481 SLG, .781 OPS.

Jeter gets on base more. That's his only advantage. But despite nine more plate appearances, that still hasn't led to more runs.

Aviles' doesn't walk as much, but his .272 BA is respectable. He has been more productive. 20 XBH to Jeter's 14, 10 more RBIs and has scored one more run despite being on base less. 

And Aviles has 43 runs produced to 34 for Jeter.

One more Aviles advantage. He's batting .361 (about 90 points above his average) with 2 HR, 19 RBI and a 1.039 OPS with runners in scoring position. Jeter  is batting .281 (70 points below his average) with just 1 HR, 9 RBI and a .758 OPS.

So simply looking at the numbers, saying Jeter has better numbers isn't exactly a slam dunk.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

And w/o looking at stats, I don't think defense would give either enough of an advantage or disadvantage to be a tipping point.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I interpret SPC's OP as being less literal and more of just a nod to the good starting shortstop that a majority of folks were ready to relegate to the bench in favor of a kid who hadn't even shown that he could hit triple AAA pitching;  to a good starting shortstop who many insisted would never be more than a utility platoon reserve.  I take SPC's point as being:  the fact that Mikey is even in consideration for all-star duty speaks to the fact that he has been much better than most figured he would be.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Sox only have 1 guaranteed AS and he'll start:  Ortiz

Pedey should also make the squad; he might start or may be a reserve

TBD - outside chance if he continues this:  Aceves could actually make the team

But I think that would be about it....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]I interpret SPC's OP as being less literal and more of just a nod to the good starting shortstop that a majority of folks were ready to relegate to the bench in favor of a kid who hadn't even shown that he could hit triple AAA pitching;  to a good starting shortstop who many insisted would never be more than a utility platoon reserve.  I take SPC's point as being:  the fact that Mikey is even in consideration for all-star duty speaks to the fact that he has been much better than most figured he would be.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

I agree. And like I posted, when you really look at the numbers and take names away, Aviles' numbers certainly merit discussion.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE] let's wait and see what the early votes say..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Is Aviles the frontrunner to start the AS at SS? : let's wait and see what the early votes say..
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]GM jete. I think we both know who will start at SS.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Aviles the frontrunner to start the AS at SS? : GM jete. I think we both know who will start at SS.
    Posted by Hingham Hammer[/QUOTE] yeah, but due to fan voting...funny that for once it comes while he actually has good numbers..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Aviles the frontrunner to start the AS at SS? : GM jete. I think we both know who will start at SS.
    Posted by Hingham Hammer[/QUOTE] btw the way, you've been gone awhile, did you get hitched already??...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Well, if you going to use all star voting, it is more likely that Jeter and Andrus will be the top two all star voters.

But right now the all star game is far away from playing it.  Wait until in 45 days, and we can see who is the top SS in AL this year!!