Is Bailey getting called up today

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Is Bailey getting called up today

In Response to Re: Is Bailey getting called up today:
    Does it really matter if Baily is called up at this point ? Who really cares ? I thought Ellsbury was fragile, this guy is ridiculous. Oakland robbed the Sox on that trade. Reddick is having a career year & the Sox get stuck with damaged goods.
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan

Both guys we got in that trade ended up w/ AVOIDABLE injuries

Ben really got burned by Billy on that one

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Might as well throw in last years A's aquisition ,OF'er Connor Jackson...another RF'er we were told by Baseball OPS with plus this and  plus that only to find out he ran into the RF wall at Fenway Park and moved it back an inch.                          I heard that David Forst, Beane's Asst. GM, handled most of the give and take on both these deals. Not that it matters much. We thought it was a pre-season salary dump only to find out after the season started it was a talent dump......and we got dumped on.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Might as well throw in last years A's aquisition ,OF'er Connor Jackson...another RF'er we were told by Baseball OPS with plus this and  plus that only to find out he ran into the RF wall at Fenway Park and moved it back an inch.                          I heard that David Forst, Beane's Asst. GM, handled most of the give and take on both these deals. Not that it matters much. We thought it was a pre-season salary dump only to find out after the season started it was a talent dump......and we got dumped on.
    Posted by eggplants

I bet Billy Beane gets really pumped when he finds out Ben is trying to reach him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

He's finally up with the big club. 

Now - is he going to close or are they going to baby him for another month? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: Is Bailey getting called up today : Both guys we got in that trade ended up w/ AVOIDABLE injuries Ben really got burned by Billy on that one
    Posted by andrewmitch

Reddick's batting average is down to .250, which matches his career avg.  Aside from May, where he had 10 HR's, he's had pretty average stats.

Reddick got off to a killer start, but is finally starting to slow down.

For next year, I'm thinking: .255 BA, 20 HR, 10 SB.  I'd rather have Ross.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In Response to Re: Is Bailey getting called up today : Both guys we got in that trade ended up w/ AVOIDABLE injuries Ben really got burned by Billy on that one
    Posted by andrewmitch

Andrew, how do avoidable injuries reflect badly on Ben?  If they were unavoidable like a recurring back problem, or a recognised bad knee I can see blaming Ben or the medical staff.  But a guy loses his rag and punches a wall?  Or a collision/shampoo thumb injury?  What do they have to do with the decision to make a trade?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Is Bailey getting called up today : Reddick's batting average is down to .250, which matches his career avg.  Aside from May, where he had 10 HR's, he's had pretty average stats. Reddick got off to a killer start, but is finally starting to slow down. For next year, I'm thinking: .255 BA, 20 HR, 10 SB.  I'd rather have Ross.
    Posted by Drewski5

Well duh me too.  But I'd rather have Reddick over Sweeney and that's the issue.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: Is Bailey getting called up today : Well duh me too.  But I'd rather have Reddick over Sweeney and that's the issue.
    Posted by andrewmitch

Agreed Reddick /> Sweeney.  What does that prove?  TO me it proves that Reddick is a servicable starting OF.  He'd start on a bad team, be a good fourth OF on a good team.

These kind of guys are replacable.  My point was Reddick for Bailey and Sweeney wasnt the robbery of the decade like some people (who overrate Reddick) think it was.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Is Bailey getting called up today : Agreed Reddick /> Sweeney.  What does that prove?  TO me it proves that Reddick is a servicable starting OF.  He'd start on a bad team, be a good fourth OF on a good team. These kind of guys are replacable.  My point was Reddick for Bailey and Sweeney wasnt the robbery of the decade like some people (who overrate Reddick) think it was.
    Posted by Drewski5

Reddick is better than Sweeney.  Period.  That's a robbery.

We also got Bailey who has been a non-factor this year and who will be getting a raise next year and then will be a FA.  If you're a betting man, Bailey won't be a factor next year either.

This doesn't include the other kids we sent over in the deal.

Big Ben got played - big time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: Is Bailey getting called up today : Reddick is better than Sweeney.  Period.  That's a robbery. We also got Bailey who has been a non-factor this year and who will be getting a raise next year and then will be a FA.  If you're a betting man, Bailey won't be a factor next year either. This doesn't include the other kids we sent over in the deal. Big Ben got played - big time.
    Posted by andrewmitch

Disagree.  Lets assume Bailey was 25% likely to stay healthy in 2012 and 25% likely to stay healthy at 2013 at the time of the trade (and please dont say that you were 100% sure he would get hurt, because that is impossible).  I feel that these are conservative numbers.  I had him at 50% likely to stay healthy in 2012 and 50% likely in 2013, but we'll go w 25%.

You traded a good fourth outfielder for

a mediocre fourth outfielder and a guy who has a 25% chance of being your closer in 2012 and a 25% chance at being your closer in 2013.

Personally , I save the "robbery" tag for deals like: Adam LaRoche for Casey Kotchman (yes, that one still bugs me).  Remember the logic?  "LaRoche is too good to be a bench player, and we cant start him everyday"  Then we went out and traded a starting MLB firstbaseman for a replacement level one!!!  AT LEAST GET THEM TO THROW IN A PROSPECT!!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Why is Las Vegas setting odds on Bailey being a failure next year? Do you have a link to this?
    Posted by Clamshack1

Confession: my percentages were made up on the spot.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Is Bailey getting called up today : Disagree.  Lets assume Bailey was 25% likely to stay healthy in 2012 and 25% likely to stay healthy at 2013 at the time of the trade (and please dont say that you were 100% sure he would get hurt, because that is impossible).  I feel that these are conservative numbers.  I had him at 50% likely to stay healthy in 2012 and 50% likely in 2013, but we'll go w 25%. You traded a good fourth outfielder for a mediocre fourth outfielder and a guy who has a 25% chance of being your closer in 2012 and a 25% chance at being your closer in 2013. Personally , I save the "robbery" tag for deals like: Adam LaRoche for Casey Kotchman (yes, that one still bugs me).  Remember the logic?  "LaRoche is too good to be a bench player, and we cant start him everyday"  Then we went out and traded a starting MLB firstbaseman for a replacement level one!!!  AT LEAST GET THEM TO THROW IN A PROSPECT!!!!!
    Posted by Drewski5

I am 99% sure that Bailey will not give us a complete season next year

Yes, I recall the LaRoche "logic" and if you recall, I blasted Theo for that - it was another key sign that it was the beginning of the end for Theo.......He loved having guys like Sean Casey, Casey Kotchman, and Mark Kotsay on the team - that still irks me to this day........

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Drewski5, ........You're wingin it man. A 4.3 AL WAR puts Reddick 4th in the league now. His best asset is not the power or the BA or the offense he provides, it's his catch and throw skills....the 13 Assists. The hookup with middle infielders on relay throws to throw out opposing baserunners. With Cespedes in LF and Reddick in RF and Coco in the middle they have a great defensive OF. Reddick is the best though, no OF'er I've seen this year is even close to Reddick when it comes to catch and throw. Whether it's barehanded pickups or from glove to hand this guy is TOP GUN. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

To this day, Adam LaRoche had the sweetest, shortest tenure of any Sox ever. What a great swing for Fenway, what a shame they dealt him so fast.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Drewski5, ........You're wingin it man. A 4.3 AL WAR puts Reddick 4th in the league now. His best asset is not the power or the BA or the offense he provides, it's his catch and throw skills....the 13 Assists. The hookup with middle infielders on relay throws to throw out opposing baserunners. With Cespedes in LF and Reddick in RF and Coco in the middle they have a great defensive OF. Reddick is the best though, no OF'er I've seen this year is even close to Reddick when it comes to catch and throw. Whether it's barehanded pickups or from glove to hand this guy is TOP GUN. 
    Posted by eggplants

Offense is more important at a corner outfielder position.  If you arent getting enough pop from LF, RF, DH, 1B, 3B, you wind up having to look for it at other positions like 2B, C, SS, CF.  This sets off a chain reaction of bad things.  A)ch as: offensive 2B, c, SS, CF are hard to come by, so you have to pay through the nose (in prospects and $$) for it.  B) These "up the middle postions" are positions where defense is very important and if you are looking for Offense here, you may need to sacrifice D (e.g. Hanley)

I understand that Reddick has a cannon.  But thats only half the equation.  he is quite avg on the other half (speed).  You need your RF to hit above .250.  Reddick has never shown that he is capable of hitting above .250.  You claim his power isnt his best tool, but then you cite his WAR.  What do you think is driving his WAR?  Its his inflated power stats.

Reddick is a great fourth outfielder / an okay starting outfielder.  Completely replacable.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

The good news is that Bailey STILL won't be a closer.  He is going to be "set up man"

Fragile.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

http://www.rantsports.com/oakland-athletics/2012/08/14/josh-reddick-continues-to-struggle-the-oakland-athletics-must-move-him-down-in-the-order/

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Bumping thread to rid the front page of 2004 idiots redundancy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I would like to see him in a role similar to the one Melancon came into last night--occasionally Miller is brought in to the same situation. Runners on , close score, need a K to stop the bleeding. He may be needed for that one batter. Mel is okay but he needs to believe in his fast ball for strike one. That was a crusher giving up Reynold's second HR on his first pitch. It's okay being a little wild high and tight on that first pitch.

I was disappointed he didn't bring Miller in to turn  Weiters around and to face the lefty Davis--he was warming at the time. Oh well.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Well, Bailey is obviously still not the closer.

Aceves closed tonight.

What a lousy acquisition this guy was - just pitiful.  We wait all year and so far he has given us 1/3  of an inning.

They are afraid to let him close. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...Offense is more important at a corner outfielder position...

This is fast becoming a myth.

League OPS by position:
           2012      2002      1972
    CF: .770   1B: .829    1B: .757
    1B: .763   RF: .765    RF: .702
    RF: .761   LF: .754    LF: .694
    LF: .760   CF: .749    CF: .889
    C:   .714   SS: .743      C: .665
    3B: .712   3B: .741   3B: .635
    2B: .673   2B: .699   2B: .617
    SS: .672     C: .679    SS: .581

40 years ago, the SS OPS was .054 away from 3B & .176 from 1B.
    Today it is much different:  .040 away from 3B and .091 from 1B.

CF is now bigger than LF & RF (and Ellsbury was hurt most of 2012).

3B is now below catcher and all OF positions.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I was disappointed Bailey didn't pitch more than 1/3 of an inning--that was the only reason I stayed up was to see him throw the 9 th.

Looking at it as V did, that was just about right. I think we will see him in a higher profile role this weekend at the stadium. He'll have many family and friends in support of him being from the area. 

I would like to see him eventually take the closer's role back and see what Aceves could do as a starter in the month of Sept. . We know Aceves can Close, do Short and Long relief--his temperment might blend well with Morales.
    A rotation of Buch, Morales, Aceves, Doubie with Lester, Lackey and Beckett fighting it out in ST for the 5 th spot might tell us what those three are made of.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

In response to "Re: Is Bailey getting called up today":
    I was disappointed Bailey didn't pitch more than 1/3 of an inning--that was the only reason I stayed up was to see him throw the 9 th. Looking at it as V did, that was just about right. I think we will see him in a higher profile role this weekend at the stadium. He'll have many family and friends in support of him being from the area.  I would like to see him eventually take the closer's role back and see what Aceves could do as a starter in the month of Sept. . We know Aceves can Close, do Short and Long relief--his temperment might blend well with Morales. A rotation of Buch, Morales, Aceves, Doubie with Lester, Lackey and Beckett fighting it out in ST for the 5 th spot might tell us what those three are made of. Posted by MadMc44
    Good post madmc. I would still like to see them go for a front line starter in the offseason and some how get rid of the waste (Beckett or Lackey) on the staff.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Reddick career: 250 averaage with 35 homers and 199 strikouts in 813 At bats.

Bailey Career: 2.07 ERA 0.96 WHIP 

Yeah.  Horrible trade.  

Sections
Shortcuts