Is Bengie Molina going to happen?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Is Bengie Molina going to happen?

He is sitting at home eating cucumber sandwichs right now...instead of helping us! I know we probably don't want to go over the luxury tax limit and this would probably do that, affecting the percentage we pay both this year and future years, but we are so close to the luxury tax limit that we probably are going over it anyway. I say bring him on board and send Salty to the minors until he starts hitting better! Keep Salty in reserve in case Molina gets a hernia from throwing out runners! Cool

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cometolondon. Show cometolondon's posts

Re: Is Bengie Molina going to happen?

KID, I HOPE SO.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

becareful 4 what you wish for boomer

personally I rather have a struggling salty than molina

at least you can hope for salty to

become something with the growing experience

I'm thinking, assuming your next RF comes from the farm

the rest of your roster is set for a couple of yrs

which should allow theo to spend a couple of chips for

a keeper catcher, perhaps this july

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

In Response to Re: Is Bengie Molina going to happen?:
    becareful 4 what you wish for boomer personally I rather have a struggling salty than molina at least you can hope for salty to   become something with the growing experience I'm thinking, assuming your next RF comes from the farm the rest of your roster is set for a couple of yrs which should allow theo to spend a couple of chips for a keeper catcher, perhaps this july
    Posted by pinstripezac32

Or we could just do a one year deal with Molina and get through the year. No draft picks lost. No farm guys needed in a trade and he is a step up from Salty IMO.

I think we this could happen within the next week. It would take a while to get him in shape. I don't see us continuing too roll the dice with the current tandem. No matter what, we would not actually see Molina in a game for weeks. He would be a decent insurance policy. It could well happen. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Im honestly ok with the catching situation right now. Teks last few games have been good  with a few 2 hit games. Salty seems to be getting more solid behind the plate and hopefully with some more time his bat will come around. ive said it all season that Salty shoud stick close to tek and absorb as much as he can which i believe is starting to do. So id rather stick with our platoon then get Bengie.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Salty has shown signs of improvements.  He's showing that he can handle the staff now and can also at least hit around .240-.250.  This move doesn't get made unless he regresses or he's injured.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

If Molina can still throw strongly, move, catch and block well, anything is better than the two pitiful defensive catchers in place. Salty is improving, but he's still a reclaimation project. Varitek is washed up and should not be catching more than once or twice a week. If Molina can play solid defense, I would not let the Crawford contract debacle stop me from bringing in Molina. Park Salty in AAA and DL Varitek along the way so Salty gets more action before roster expansion.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

I think they need to continue with Tek and Salty as is.  There have been improvements and to bring in another game caller, who must learn the quircks of the pitching staff asap doesn't make sense now.

The glowing issue is throwing out runners and if the walks can be minimized that will go a long way toward helping the cause.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSNS14. Show RSNS14's posts

Molina coming out of retirement is no better than what we have now. Salty is beginning to come around. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Molina is old and slow - kind of a fast-forward-in-time version of V-Mart without the respectable BA - and he has been idle.  His brother says he has been working out, but that's beside the point. He needs to get back into the rhythm of playing every day AND the pitching staff will have to get to know him and he will have to do the same with them. 

Do we want to do this to the pitching staff again, or should I say, the 60% of the starting rotation that remains healthy?  They have already gone through the grinder with Salty.  And Tek would have to start over again with someone else yet again.  Cruel and unusual punishment.

With respect, I don't see how he could be an upgrade, IMO, and if Exposito is available and only if Salty completely implodes (which he shows signs of NOT doing), then I would go with the team that we have. Theo has just about said as much - no more short-term, high cost rentals for positiion players or pitchers. The team is expensive enough as it is.

Molina would have made more sense last year at the trade deadline, but he was dealt to SF and the rest is history.

Here endeth the lesson.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

I have to laugh at the "salty is coming around" and "he just needs more time".

The guy has been a bust since '07, how much more "time" does he need?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

glad you got time to laugh about salty babe. meanwhile down in gotham how many yankee fans are laughing about what has been happening to their team as of late eh?

you know what they say babe, he who laughs last, laughs best.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Tony Pena might be available if the Yankees fall below .500.  Pena likes to quit on his team if it loses too often.

Anyhow he is more mobile than Tek... certainly can hit as well too.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

To me, Molina wasn't signed because he was asking for $6 mil or so. He wanted to get paid. He might be more willing to take a reduced amount now. He thought he could garner one more good contract and it didn't happen. Maybe he is more open to lesser amounts now.

Do we really think we are going to get through this year without an injury at catcher? Salty was injured 3 times last year if I remember correctly. Tek is being overused. We might as well snap up Molina now given the situation we are in.

I know he's fat. I know he's old. He still put up decent numbers last year. I'll take him! Cool

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

glad you got time to laugh about salty babe. meanwhile down in gotham how many yankee fans are laughing about what has been happening to their team as of late eh? you know what they say babe, he who laughs last, laughs best.

Posted by Hammah29r2

I don't see what the current state of the Yankees has to do with whether salty will ever be a competent major league catcher.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

well babe, right now atleast, both salty and tek are showing something other than being an automatic out. tek has gotten on and has hits from both sides of the plate and salty has gotten some hits. I know you don't have much to be happy about with your club but I'm of a mind that if my "red flops" can continue to play they way they have as of late, they just might get up above .500 and stay there hopefully. One thing that's good is that we got a nice little homestand this week. the thing that makes me a little nervous is that the O's are hot and that the cubbies are coming.

hey babe, did you hear that azzclown call me a "redneck"????? lol!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

well babe, right now atleast, both salty and tek are showing something other than being an automatic out. tek has gotten on and has hits from both sides of the plate and salty has gotten some hits. I know you don't have much to be happy about with your club but I'm of a mind that if my "red flops" can continue to play they way they have as of late, they just might get up above .500 and stay there hopefully. One thing that's good is that we got a nice little homestand this week. the thing that makes me a little nervous is that the O's are hot and that the cubbies are coming. hey babe, did you hear that azzclown call me a "redneck"????? lol!

Posted by Hammah29r2

Well hammah, the sad part is neither one of our teams are exactly lighting it up at home, but still better than their road records.

Never thought of you as a "redneck", but I'm guessing that guy hasn't been right about many things in his life.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

thanks babe! do you think that Joe will ever re-consider letting jorge get behind the dish again?

my other question is if benji is only 36 and according to his younger brother, in pretty good shape, why wouldn't theo give him a tryout for atleast the possiblity of using him the rest of this year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

thanks babe! do you think that Joe will ever re-consider letting jorge get behind the dish again? my other question is if benji is only 36 and according to his younger brother, in pretty good shape, why wouldn't theo give him a tryout for atleast the possiblity of using him the rest of this year.

Posted by Hammah29r2

Nah, Joe has always hated Jorge behind the plate.

I have no idea why theo wouldn't give molina a shot. The catching situation in beantowne is obviously a concern unless you are moonie or harnass.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

Yeesh, can we please not go this route?

As many have already noted, Molina wouldn't exactly add anything more than we already have (and he wouldn't come cheaply).

Molina's biggest weakness was always a huge lack of plate discipline...he hacked at balls out of the zone like Vlad Guerrero, without being as good a hitter. But in recent years he also lost bat speed, which cost him power AND batting average.

Given that he was the slowest runner in baseball when he was a young man, likely has lost some defense behind the plate due to age and time off, and doesn't know our pitching staff...he actually might be a negative in EVERY possible category! Not the solution at catcher, not when we have a younger catcher starting right now who should be at least as good overall and at least offers upside (and cost control).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Time for the Sox to get younger at this position, bring up the kids.

I don't know Bobby! seems to me that would put a hugh amount of pressure on one of our kids down in the minors. to bring up a rookie to handle this group of starters would be a pretty big undertaking wouldn't you think?

who would you suggest they bring up?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I'm not saying he's great. I'm just saying we are in a precarious position at catcher right now. I think Bengie would improve what we have right now in Salty and what happens if either of our catchers go down? 

We might even be able to pick up Bengie for under $2 mil or so. I think it's worth it:

Sections
Shortcuts