Is Bob Montgomery a Hall of Famer?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Re: Is Bob Montgomery a Hall of Famer?

I remember in the ninth inning of Game 7 of the 75 series he pinch hit for Juan Beniquez(Why I don't know?) So there's one out and Curt Gowdy on NBC says...."Montgomery is a licensed pilot, and a model train enthusiast". I thought Curt was a very good announcer but he really must have run out of things to say.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

He was trying to avoid the facts about his playing prowess. Model train enthusiast; you would think with all the groupies hovering over the players that might not be so front and center of his preoccupations.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to Re: Is Bob Montgomery a Hall of Famer?:
    [QUOTE]He should go in if for no other reason he was the last regular ML hitter to NOT wear a batting helmet!  He wore a cap reinforced with steel!  He had no ear flaps so he was vulnerable if a pitch hit the side of his head!  I'm not sure if it was ballsy or stupid!
    Posted by william93063[/QUOTE]

More than likely a combination of the two. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Trains. Planes. Brows. Robert Monty. I've learned more on this thread than any other today!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

I believe it was Tillman who caught Earl Wilson's no-hitter (which was a darn near perfect game).

Wilson never pitched another.

Had to be the added value that Tilly brought to the game itself, I think.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Bob Montgomery a Hall of Famer? : Damn !!! What a hottie. I forgot about baseball for a minute....
    Posted by prknsdnld[/QUOTE]

You got dat right!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Let's not forget Beckett just missed a perfect game this year!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Bob Montgomery a Hall of Famer? :   Really might have been the Andy Etchebarren of the Sox, though I think he hit .300 one year.
    Posted by prknsdnld[/QUOTE]

Etchebarren use to platoon with Elrod Hendricks when they were with the Birds.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]Let's not forget Beckett just missed a perfect game this year!
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

True dat, harness old friend.  The baseball gods seem to be smiling on us.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

First: 6/25/2009
    Last: 7/8/2011
    In Response to www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a81df60f3-70ee-4ca3-9336-8cf2c0a8301aDiscussion%3aaebce379-95ee-41ad-9006-484e03da8b44&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:81df60f3-70ee-4ca3-9336-8cf2c0a8301aDiscussion:aebce379-95ee-41ad-9006-484e03da8b44Post:0f78c234-6709-40e5-963a-2b351fbd119c">Re: Is Bob Montgomery a Hall of Famer?:
    In Response to Re: Is Bob Montgomery a Hall of Famer? : Bob Montgomery never had a thread dedicated to him. Nice work.
    Posted by harness

Monty was one of those guys that wouldn't kill you if you played him, he could fill in even if he wasn't great. That got me to thinking of other guys like that. Bob Watson. Cecil Cooper. Don Baylor. Tom Brunansky. Kevin Millar. Then there were the guys you can't stand. Julio Lugo. Larry Wolfe. Carlos Quintana.

aw come on Youk! how could you say you couldn't stand Julio Lugo! the guy was hilarious when he stepped into the batters box. that look, those eyes.....I'm just sorry that he really sucked....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Bob Montgomery a Hall of Famer? :  Monty was one of those guys that wouldn't kill you if you played him, he could fill in even if he wasn't great. That got me to thinking of other guys like that. Bob Watson. Cecil Cooper. Don Baylor. Tom Brunansky. Kevin Millar. Then there were the guys you can't stand. Julio Lugo. Larry Wolfe. Carlos Quintana.
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]

Every other guy you mentioned was FAR better then Bob Montgomery.  Watson, Cooper, Baylor, Brunansky and Millar?  All of those guys were starters and some were all stars.  None of them were fill ins.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In Response to Is Bob Montgomery a Hall of Famer?:
    [QUOTE]You really had to know this was coming. Right? Obviously , I am just kidding.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Obviously, but extend the logic:
    • Monty:  10 seasons, .258 BA, 306 hits, 162-game average of 128 hits
    • Biggio:  20 seasons, .281 BA, 3,060 hits, 162-game average of 174 hits
    • Yaz:  23 seasons, .285 BA, 3,419 hits, 162-game average of 167 hits
    • Super Joe Charboneau:  3 seasons, .266 BA, 172 hits, 162-game average of 139 hits
    Outside of Boston, Houston, Cleveland 2000 and my little league dinner in December 1973, that rabble is just the Karl Malden, Kevin Baker or Sonny Bono of baseball.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Cecil Cooper was very good, certainly a far better option to Tony Perez, or Dave Stapleton.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Bob Montgomery a Hall of Famer? : Yeah. He's a good guy who loved fan interaction. He never minded not playing much. In fact, he often preferred it that way.  He did a much better job catching Lee than Fisk did. Monty was flexible.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

OK.  Let's see dems CERA numbers then.  In your case, I'm sure you have them ready to go.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]I'd vote for Elizabeth Montgomery
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

Bob would have called her "Bethy."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Little Known Monty FAct.

The ridiculously slow Bob Montgomery had 2 triples of Jim Palmer.  Only one player in MLB history hit more triples off Palmer - Thurman Munson.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I think Greg Olsen deserves a shot as well.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m