Is Bob Valentine's aggressive approach to spring training responsible for all these injuries?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

Re: Is Bob Valentine's aggressive approach to spring training responsible for all these injuries?

NO

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Re: Is Bob Valentine's aggressive approach to spring training responsible for all these injuries?

In Response to Is Bob Valentine's aggressive approach to spring training responsible for all these injuries?:
    Terry Francona has been criticized for running a "soft" training camp and many have applauded V and his no-nonsense approach to spring training. But is this style a contributing factor in the number of injuries the team is dealing with heading into opening day?
    Posted by davetheknave

It is said that the modern athlete, in this case ballplayers, are in better shape than their contemperaries. They have more info on nutrition, training regiments, etc. They can stay in shape year round because of the salary they make. Why do they break down so much, as say the player from the sixties. If you look you'll see that just about every team has a player or two who consistently breaks down, who is in their prime. As an example Sizemore, and Hafner of the Indians, and Hamilton, and Cruz of the Rangers,. I could go on, but I think you get the point. To answer the opening post Tito was critized because they weren't in shape, now Bobby V has run them too hard, go figure.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

but he considerably lessened the workload for pitchers. no more shagging balls, they worked on defense more. that doesn't seem like over working to me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

"But is this style a contributing factor in the number of injuries the team is dealing with heading into opening day?"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to Re: Is Bob Valentine's aggressive approach to spring training responsible for all these injuries?:
    but he considerably lessened the workload for pitchers. no more shagging balls, they worked on defense more. that doesn't seem like over working to me.
    Posted by mef429

From what I've read about ST if what they do is overworking then sign me up. The most strenuous thing a pitcher does is covering first base, and he does that in a group, so most of the time he's just standing around shooting the breeze while waiting his turn.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Two pitchers out with thumb injuries. No idea how it happened. Maybe too much texting?  Maybe these guys are just soft.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i hate it when thumbs are overworked....bring back Francona and his limosine spring training ways!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

There is no winning with fans is there?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Musta been making those poor guys actually throw the ball to a base in PFPs.  Thats bound to wear a guy's thumb down.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I'm a big Francona fan, but have moved on.  Nothing wrong with Valentine's approach to date, and just about all of the DL stuff happened without any help from Tommy. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

MADDEN 2012 /  Tiger Woods Golf/  Call to duty 3.......Thumbs and trigger fingers watch out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I doubt it, because in the end, I doubt there was a significant difference in how much work players put in. So much of the work players do is behind the scene anyway. 

Sure, Valentine probably did some things different, but the biggest difference was him running around being the center of attention so fans can think, "Wow, the players really working harder this year."

One of the biggest myths of the Francona era was that the players didn't work hard in spring training.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

To partly back up my previous post, last year at the beginning of the season, a few posters were ripping Francona for not having the team ready and one of the arguments was that he didn't play them enough in spring training. 

So let's look at last year and this year. There are two games left, and if you give the key players I've listed, two more games, at best, they've played the same or less (taking injury situations into account).

For the pitchers, you have to remember that B games don's show up, but the work in games, average innings per game, is about the same.

So much for the difference.

G/AB G/AB
    Gonzalez 11/31 15/40
    Pedroia 21/59 17/49
    Scutaro/Aviles 18/50 18/58
    Youk 21/57 16/36
    Ellsbury 20/62 17/52
    Salty 15/37 15/33
    Ortiz 22/60 17/51

IP IP
    Beckett 6/25.1 5/19
    Lester 4/16 4/18
    Buchholz 6/21 4/15.0
    Lackey/Doubrant 5/21 4/16.2
    DiceK/Bard 6/25.1 6/24.2

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

The players are worked so hard, that they can only play 18 holes of golf in the afternoon, labor laws are being threatened by Bobby V approach.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

The least of the issues with Valentine will be how he ran his ST camp IMO and the injuries aren't his "fault".

I am totally not sold on Bobby V as the Red Sox manager because he just does not line up with the FO philosphy and is probably not the right personality to manage in Boston. But the injuries are not a case of working guys too hard and thanks Roy for the stats!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I thought Bobby V. could clap his hands together, rub them together, and then touch the injury to heal it - a la Mr. Miyagi.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

baseball players are pansies. These guys should take a lesson from the Bruins

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts