Is Cherington going to pull the trigger on anything?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Is Cherington going to pull the trigger on anything?

It would seem that there has been decent value out there but we are holding onto our prospects for dear life. I'm fine with that but if we are not going to deal for a top starter we might as well clean house on players who are not under control beyond this year:

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Re: Is Cherington going to pull the trigger on anything?

I like a lot of these players but if we are projected to have less than a 20% chance of making the playoffs at this point I'd see what I could get for most of these guys, maybe even all of them. The only ones I might keep are Cook and Ross just to keep us in the mix in case we go on a streak and put ourselves in a better position n the coming weeks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxforlife22. Show soxforlife22's posts

The Red Sox have so many players of atleast some potential value, that I would be disappointed if Cherington does nothing. There are trades to be made that could help this team right now, in the future, or both, and would do little to hurt the MLB roster or the minor league system. Whether Cherington is buying or selling, I feel there are deals to be made either way.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Agreed soxforlife22! With the new draft rules we are going to hard pressed to keep the team near the top of mlb going forward. Prospects are more valuable now then they were last year. We need to think differently and this would be an important step in that regard. We should try to get some high upside guys from A ball for some of these guys. If we aren't going for it.

I'm good either way but unless we make a big splash and go for it, I'm for getting what value we can out of existing, short term, supplementary players. Especially those we have sme depth in place for from AAA. Now is a good time to throw some AAA players in there to see what we have going forward and break them into mlb.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Would the Red Sox be interested in Seattle righthander Hisashi Iwakuma, who registered 13 strikeouts* Monday against the Toronto Blue Jays of the American League East?

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=320730112&teams=toronto-blue-jays-vs-seattle-mariners

In his five July starts, Iwakuma has faced all four of Boston's AL East rivals, giving up three runs in five innings against the Orioles, two runs in six innings against the Rays, one run in five innings against the Yankees and one run in eight innings against the Jays:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=iwakuhi01&t=p&year=

Iwakuma signed a one-year, $1.5 million contract with the Mariners last offseason.

* Iwakuma hung the Golden Sombrero on British Columbia native Brett Lawrie on Canada Night at Seattle's Safeco Field.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I would expect a modest move at best. These guys are confused as to whether to buy or sell and don't have a bold vision forward. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

hill good find on Iwakuma and quick history  with the AL East. Perhaps someone like Cecchini or a Pimental would do it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

i think BC is guaging interest on some bigger mover for this offseason and will probably make some smaller moves this year and go with the main guys he has now...Looks like Sweeny wont be going anywhere either...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

He's voting "present".

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

-if the Sox  keep Ells, CC and Ross--Kalish could be a #4 OF Nava #5; one of those could be moved. I think they continue to hold with Punto---he has survived and I see why he has been a fixture on each team he has been with; he's a dirt dog, versatile, dependable and apparently a good teammate.

Bobby V's pen seems to be finding it's own level. Morales and Miller are very strong. Aceves is very strong. I'm questioning Albers, Padilla and Mel.
    Until Bailey is back Mort/Prior would be a one or two batter stopper, put out a fire, not start one.

Albers and Mel  I would consider moving. 

You also have Bard getting healthy.

Tazawa and Cook can be moved--keep both until Atch & Hill return.

Buch, Doubie, Lester, Beckett and Cook; when and if Dice returns another move.

So after the Trade Deadline a few changes:

Rotation(5): Buch, Doubie, Lester, Beckett and Cook.
    Pen(6): Aceves, Miller, Morales, Mort/Prior, Padilla and Tazawa.
    (9) Position Players: AGon, Pedroia, Ciriaco, Middle, CC, Ells and Ross--DH Ortiz
    Catchers(2): Shop and Salty
    Bench(3): Nava, Kalish and Punto.

Move--Albers, Aviles, Melancon. Sweeney--DL.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Getting Hunter Pence to play RF and trading Ross + to get a pitcher would be ideal IMO.

We need a guy like Pence , nothing against Ross, but Pence gives us a better RH presence to fit in with the lefty heavy lineup.  And he can play RF as well as Ross.   Cody gets hot, but then he gets stone cold.  Pence would fit perfectly as a dirt dog in this p*ssy lineup.   Too many baseball card legends on this team, not enough Trot/Tek types. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

soxmeister--Pence is a huge favorite--I would love to see them make that move.

It may  take three decent prospects but he would be a more consistent player than Ross and Sweeney.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In Response to Is Cherington going to pull the trigger on anything?:
    [QUOTE]It would seem that there has been decent value out there but we are holding onto our prospects for dear life. I'm fine with that but if we are not going to deal for a top starter we might as well clean house on players who are not under control beyond this year:
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

First of all, Sweetney is under control for two more years.  He is in his 2nd-Year Arb Eligible.  So therefore, he cant be on the list.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigld57. Show bigld57's posts

In response to "Re: Is Cherington going to pull the trigger on anything?": [QUOTE]Getting Hunter Pence to play RF and trading Ross + to get a pitcher would be ideal IMO. We need a guy like Pence , nothing against Ross, but Pence gives us a better RH presence to fit in with the lefty heavy lineup.  And he can play RF as well as Ross.   Cody gets hot, but then he gets stone cold.  Pence would fit perfectly as a dirt dog in this p*ssy lineup.   Too many baseball card legends on this team, not enough Trot/Tek types.  Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE] what are you nuts? pence instead of ross? if ross didnt go on the dl hed have 23 homers by now and hes a beyter fielder than pence who plays in a teal bandbox citizens park at best this is a lateral move that costs the red soc alot of money and doesnt improve their weakness. starting pitching terrible idea

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigld57. Show bigld57's posts

get jason vargas as our 5 starter instead of Cook hell come cheap On the same crappy team King Felix has 9 wins and Vargas had 11 that shows something Vargas is 11-7 on a team waaaaay below 500. he throws strikes!! Nice to see walks 2 men per 9 innings lester walls 55. get Cook out of there before he breaks down Vargas last 6 outings have been dominant so hes hot right now a 1.14ERA over the 6 starts includes 8 inning 1 hitter vs our rival the Rays!! hot Oakland club twice and he held the red sox to 1 run in 7 innings get him

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

No, but you can bet THEO will today......

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox re-acquired Justin Masterson today from Cleveland

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigld57. Show bigld57's posts

In response to "Re: Is Cherington going to pull the trigger on anything?": [QUOTE] No, but you can bet THEO will today...... Posted by 56redsox[/QUOTE] yes and THEO Stinks. why do you think we are stuck? beckett a 4 yr big extension theo gave hom. lackey 5 year deal dice k 6 yr deal crawford 7 years a theo killer cant blame him for. lester as he was young and looked good but its not working throw in jd drew renteria julio lugo(36 million for a 190 hitter who cant field or throw) eric gagne over all theo inherited a great team and had owner money galore he destroyed the sox then skipped out of sinking ship. thanks theo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

A good home, if Sox management wants to make it happen, might be Oakland for Beckett.
    Beane, for the right price---you take Crisp and Suzukki for Shop and Beckett and a little cash.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I did check the arb status on each player. I think I probably missed Sweeney's status. Sorry!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

I dont think Sox make any significant move. There's no miracle player out there to turn this season around.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In Response to Re: Is Cherington going to pull the trigger on anything?:
    [QUOTE]Getting Hunter Pence to play RF and trading Ross + to get a pitcher would be ideal IMO. We need a guy like Pence , nothing against Ross, but Pence gives us a better RH presence to fit in with the lefty heavy lineup.  And he can play RF as well as Ross.   Cody gets hot, but then he gets stone cold.  Pence would fit perfectly as a dirt dog in this p*ssy lineup.   Too many baseball card legends on this team, not enough Trot/Tek types. 
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

I wanted Pence in Boston Last Winter, Good Ballplayer, Instead We Got A MelonHead....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]hill good find on Iwakuma and quick history  with the AL East. Perhaps someone like Cecchini or a Pimental would do it.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

I would trade NONE of our prospects. The goal should be getting rid of as many of the following bad contracts as possible: Beckett, Lester, Crawford, Lackey. If we can just get rid of them and get nothing in return thats fine with me. But to surrender prospects or young players would be DUMB. It would further mortgage our future; there is no "present" for this team.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Cherington going to pull the trigger on anything? : I would trade NONE of our prospects. The goal should be getting rid of as many of the following bad contracts as possible: Beckett, Lester, Crawford, Lackey. If we can just get rid of them and get nothing in return thats fine with me. But to surrender prospects or young players would be DUMB. It would further mortgage our future; there is no "present" for this team.
    Posted by pumpsie-green[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't trade Lester, pumpsie. I'd think twice about Beckett, unless there's more to what's been reported, than we actually know. If there is, I'd think they'd move him. If 4:00 comes and goes and still with Boston, I would tend to think there isn't. Forgot who it was, but someone from MLB network was on WEEI this morning. Said teams had contacted Boston, inquiring about Beckett but they weren't actively trying to trade him.