Is Cody Ross the impact player you were hoping for?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: Is Cody Ross the impact player you were hoping for?

He's half of the RF platoon, and has an OPS over .900 against LHP in his career.  He's just one piece of the puzzle.

.282/.349/.563 against lefties in his career.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Is Cody Ross the impact player you were hoping for?":
    He hit just .240 last year (.261 over his career) and his batting average and run production have been on the decline since 2009. I guess he fits the Sox' financial parameters and I know every roster spot can't be filled with a fifteen million dollar contract, but Ross's offensive numbers remind me of.......J D Drew. Posted by davetheknave
    Yes, yes he was actually...I think he is a perfect fit for this team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Even his v LP numbers were poor last season. But even if he returns to form v LP, 3M is a lot to pay for this part time player. Bottom line, this is not the answer to Red Sox long term OF value/performance debacle.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Is Cody Ross the impact player you were hoping for?:
    Even his v LP numbers were poor last season. But even if he returns to form v LP, 3M is a lot to pay for this part time player. Bottom line, this is not the answer to Red Sox long term OF value/performance debacle.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

No one claimed he was a long term fix.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In response to "Is Cody Ross the impact player you were hoping for?": Yes, yes he was actually...I think he is a perfect fit for this team.
    Posted by jasko2248

Exactly, this team had a glaring need for a RH OF bat and Ross is just that guy. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Nor is he a short term fix on a team that had serious consistency issues because of the lack of a superstar RH bat in the lineup.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

It is alot better than signing often injure player or unproven player such as Beltran, Cuddyler, Willingham, etc.  Top five best this year free agency OF's all have signed more than 7 million dollars a year or more than 2 years.  Boston know they are all not a great player.  Beltran may be the best OF of all, but he is an often injure proned player.  Still can these guys are able to play defensively at RF?  Ross may not be a great RF, but the cost of signing him is alot cheaper.  He is more likely going to start at LF anyway to take Crawford's spot while Sweeney will play RF.

Next year free agency will be a good one.  That is why Boston is saving their $$$ for the next free agency class.

I know most fans here rather to sign Oswalt, but he is still asking more than 8 million dollars a year contract.  That price is still ridiculous too high.  How do we all know if he can pitch for the entire season.

If Oswalt drops his asking price to less than 4 million, then go after him.  

Now Boston is looking at Ewin Jackson.  If his asking price is twice less than Oswalt, go after him!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

Nor is he a short term fix on a team that had serious consistency issues because of the lack of a superstar RH bat in the lineup.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

But we can't afford a RH superstar, so we have to make due with platooning the outfield. I would agree with you, but Theo spent close to 200 million on Crawford and Lackey, and with Agon there isn't that kind of money to go around. Plus, we would have to trade the rest of our farm system for whomever that "superstar" you think is out there.

I'm so sorry it isn't Kemp, but good lord you can't have all stars at every position, if that's your mindset go cheer for the Yankees.

The fact of the matter is, Ross is good against lefties, we need a solid player like that who can hit against lefties. He's won a world series with the Giants, and he's a solid team player. I think it was a good addition. Yeah 3 mill was a lot, but we can still add a pitcher. We averaged close to 5 runs per game with essentially the same lineup, and a bad year by Pedrioa. We will score plenty of runs this year.

Besides, Ross is so much better than JD Drew.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Ross is not an 'impact' player.  But he is an excellent 'role' player, a gamer.  The antithesis of Drew in that respect.

Don't know why people would consider Ross an 'impact' player.  Hard to imagine the Scutaro deal was just for Ross.  There is a pitcher coming out of this as well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Ross is not an 'impact' player.  But he is an excellent 'role' player, a gamer.  The antithesis of Drew in that respect. Don't know why people would consider Ross an 'impact' player.  Hard to imagine the Scutaro deal was just for Ross.  There is a pitcher coming out of this as well.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

He is certainly not an impact player, but we did not need one.  To me, an impact player are your top 3 starters, your closer, maybe your setup man, your leadoff, 3rd, 4th, and maybe 5th hitters.  At least 2 OF defenders, and 2 INF defenders could also be argued to be impact players.  We have all of those.  The rest of the roster is complimentary players.  We had a need for a RH OF bat.  Ross fills that need.  We also have a need for a #4 starter to solidify the pitching staff.  A floyd, oswalt, jackson, or garza pickup would allow one of the reclaimation projects, tarazwa, dubront, aceves, or Bard to be the 5th starter(preferably not bard or aceves), and strengthen the bullpen.  Lets say we got...floyd.  We would look like this

Lester
    Beckett
    Buch
    Floyd
    reclaimation winner

bailey
    melancon
    bard
    aceves
    morales
    jenks
    dubront(or one of about 6 guys with no options)

solid.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Is Cody Ross the impact player you were hoping for? : He is certainly not an impact player, but we did not need one.  To me, an impact player are your top 3 starters, your closer, maybe your setup man, your leadoff, 3rd, 4th, and maybe 5th hitters.  At least 2 OF defenders, and 2 INF defenders could also be argued to be impact players.  We have all of those.  The rest of the roster is complimentary players.  We had a need for a RH OF bat.  Ross fills that need.  We also have a need for a #4 starter to solidify the pitching staff.  A floyd, oswalt, jackson, or garza pickup would allow one of the reclaimation projects, tarazwa, dubront, aceves, or Bard to be the 5th starter(preferably not bard or aceves), and strengthen the bullpen.  Lets say we got...floyd.  We would look like this Lester Beckett Buch Floyd reclaimation winner bailey melancon bard aceves morales jenks dubront(or one of about 6 guys with no options) solid.
    Posted by adam4522
    yup.  I like it Adam.  Though, despite my early misgivings, i am interested to see if this Bard thing can work out, especially with both bailey and Melancon now in the fold.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from scarhill2000. Show scarhill2000's posts

Hey, can he be any worse than Crawford?  At least he doesn't cost over $100 million.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

It truly amazes me that the same idiotic posters who complain incessantly about the Long term big money contracts that the Sox signed with players not performing up to those contracts.... also complain when the team makes a sensible signing for a role player to fill a glaring need...., since that signing was not for an IMPACT player.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

His father was a team roper and steer wrestler!!! For real, the kid got to be tough!.

Cody had a monster post season in 2010 and played every outfield position.

Cody will be a fan favorite here, a dirt dog.

He will be a team leader and knows how to win.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from poprox13. Show poprox13's posts

not an impact player, so no......

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Sox don't need an impact player for RF, just a platoon guy that can keep them afloat while the other positions kick back into gear.

Still hoping for a #4,5 starter that's proven.  

All in all, the Sox have done ok this offseason, and should compete well with the improving east division.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Another excellent "small" move by Ben.  Despite the obvious money restraint, we've added a quality RF platoon, 2 quaility RPs, a catcher with a gun and an experienced utitility IF all for short money and expendable players.

One could reasonably add in the Agon and Buchholz team-friendly contracts - though they are down to Theo - and that's a respectable winter given the luxury tax situation.

If we can squeeze in another SP under the "cap" I'd say it's a great winter, again, given the constraint.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Space is dancing on the table he is so happy!!! He is a big Cody fan...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Space is dancing on the table he is so happy!!! He is a big Cody fan...
    Posted by beavis

You know it Beav.  Been on this train all off-season.  But, I do hope that they didn't move Scutty just to get Ross. A. Its dirt dog for dirt dog, so, a wash.  B. Not confortable at all with the SS situation now.  But, would be comfy with the Iggy?aviles/Punto gamble if Scutaro was moved for Ross AND Oswalt ... not sure Roy wants to do a 1 year showcase in the Beast, but, here's hoping.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

Agree, this is not an impact move, its just filling a hole.  Maybe Cody will find magic in Fenway, but until proven otherwise he does not add a bat to the bottom of the lineup that will strike fear into the opponents.  No doubt the top third of the lineup is superb with Jake, Pedey and Adrian.  The middle has the potential to also be excellent with Youk, Papi and CC, but that is far from a given.  The bottom 3 is likely to be average to below average offensively with Aviles/Punto, Sweeney/Cody and Salty/Shoppeck.  This lineup could struggle against better pitching.

In the spirit of making lemonade from lemons, the last time I was this concerned about the makeup of the team was 2007, and that turned out to be a pretty great year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

The OP is nonsense:  I wasn't hoping for an "impact player" because it's been blindingly obvious for months the Sox spent their winter 2011/2012 "impact player" money on Buch and Agon and there wasn't money for more.

That said, if Ross comes anywhere near his career average OPS vs lefties of .912 he'll make an impact.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCBoston. Show DeweyCBoston's posts

In Response to Is Cody Ross the impact player you were hoping for?:
    He hit just .240 last year (.261 over his career) and his batting average and run production have been on the decline since 2009. I guess he fits the Sox' financial parameters and I know every roster spot can't be filled with a fifteen million dollar contract, but Ross's offensive numbers remind me of.......J D Drew.
    Posted by davetheknave

Are you kidding? This is exemplary of LYING WITH STATISTICS 101...I think Romneys book may be more factual than this stuff... Mitt makes $20 Miliion per year, hE IS THE top 0.0006 % of the population, is that middle class? UGH.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I don't see the Ross signing as "moving Aviles back to the infield"....Aviles was never likely to become an outfielder, it's that being able to play a bit of outfield would enhance his value.

A classic Theo move - looks like one of Ben's, too - is to go after such roster-expanding players e.g. multi-position players and switch hitters.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Ross is good against lefties

What were Ross's numbers v. LP in 2011, just before he was placed in a green jobs dumpster.

Sections
Shortcuts