Is Cody Ross the impact player you were hoping for?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Is Cody Ross the impact player you were hoping for?

In Response to Re: Is Cody Ross the impact player you were hoping for?:
    Ross is good against lefties What were Ross's numbers v. LP in 2011, just before he was placed in a green jobs dumpster.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

Check out his 2009 and 2010 vs lefties (.959OPS and .883OPS).

Can't base everything on one season, andrew.  Shouldn't you be telling us anytime now how he is going to settle into his "career median averages"?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Is Cody Ross the impact player you were hoping for?:
    Ross is good against lefties What were Ross's numbers v. LP in 2011, just before he was placed in a green jobs dumpster.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

Check out his 2009 and 2010 vs lefties (.959OPS and .883OPS).

Can't base everything on one season, andrew.  Shouldn't you be telling us anytime now how he is going to settle into his "career median averages"?

I thought softy was all about "career norms" and 'median averages", I guess only if it fits his preconceived notions.

He blasted me in the winter of 2010 for projecting Papi's demise vs LHPs based on 3 straight years of decline, and again in 2011, but now it appears he is doing the same based on a tiny 2011 sample size.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomasmtom. Show Thomasmtom's posts

Ross may not be a star player, but he is a solid major leaguer who can play all three-outfield positions. Having seen him play a number of times, I believe his power numbers will go up playing in Fenway Park.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arodswallows. Show Arodswallows's posts

he'll be the 4th OF, what's all the noise for?

he also may be the best 4th OF, besides didnt cost any prospects

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

There is nothing impressive about Ross, which is why he was plucked from a dumpster. His median averages are not impressive, at all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Cody Ross career avg:  .261/21/79/.323/.456/.779
    Yaz:                          .279/22/90/.379/.462/.841

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I was hoping for the Red Sox to acquire Hanley and move him to RF, and then sign Jose Reyes to play SS. I was also hoping we move AGon to CF and Elles to LF, and sign Pujols to play 1B. Equally desireable would be if we then pulled off a trade of Salty for Brian McCann straight up to fill our CA needs. Oh and I forgot that as icing on the cake we swap Lackey for Verlander.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

He's what RS needed. RH bat who can play any OF position and hits LH pitching, something much needed on this team w/ losses of Lowrie & Vmart last couple of years and all our LH bats. Will get plenty of playing time in OF. While not impact, much needed would be a better description.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I like this signing.  This guy could turn out to hit 20 HRs and drive in 80 even if he only hits .260-.280.  And, he could be that addition that makes a major contribution that was not counted on during the winter months.  Maybe 30 HRs and 100 RBI if he gets comfortable and plays really well.

He is every bit as capable as Beltran, Willingham and those other free agents this off season with his health and defense alone.  If he is hitting and the other Boston outfielders are hitting well, he may find some time at DH as well if something happens to Ortiz.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Ross is not an 'impact' player.  But he is an excellent 'role' player, a gamer.  The antithesis of Drew in that respect. Don't know why people would consider Ross an 'impact' player.  Hard to imagine the Scutaro deal was just for Ross.  There is a pitcher coming out of this as well.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Space, after the somnambulant style of play that was given by Drew, Cody Ross will look like the second coming of Dewey Evans by comparison.

Which is to day, a good role player will look like an impact player, given what preceded him.

It's all good.

And it costs $11 mil less per year.

Here endeth the lesson.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Is Cody Ross the impact player you were hoping for? : Space, after the somnambulant style of play that was given by Drew, Cody Ross will look like the second coming of Dewey Evans by comparison. Which is to day, a good role player will look like an impact player, given what preceded him. It's all good. And it costs $11 mil less per year. Here endeth the lesson.
    Posted by summerof67

Don't get your second comings mixed up Summer.  Not Dewey.  Trot.  Dirrrrrrrrrt Dawwwwwwg.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Low impact - but I wasn't hoping for anybody.

I just as soon let young guys play in RF.  At least young guys have upsdie.  A young player will improve over the season.  Ross won't.  We already know he is below average forever.  

Think we will all regret Reddick being gone - but hopefully Kalish as some point is the everyday RF.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Yeah, I really miss Josh Reddick....yawn. As for Cody Ross, bring back Gabe Kapler.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

It is alot better than signing often injure player or unproven player such as Beltran, Cuddyler, Willingham, etc.  Top five best this year free agency OF's all have signed more than 7 million dollars a year or more than 2 years.  Boston know they are all not a great player.  Beltran may be the best OF of all, but he is an often injure proned player.  Still can these guys are able to play defensively at RF?  Ross may not be a great RF, but the cost of signing him is alot cheaper.  He is more likely going to start at LF anyway to take Crawford's spot while Sweeney will play RF. Next year free agency will be a good one.  That is why Boston is saving their $$$ for the next free agency class. I know most fans here rather to sign Oswalt, but he is still asking more than 8 million dollars a year contract.  That price is still ridiculous too high.  How do we all know if he can pitch for the entire season. If Oswalt drops his asking price to less than 4 million, then go after him.   Now Boston is looking at Ewin Jackson.  If his asking price is twice less than Oswalt, go after him!!
    Posted by GoUconn13

Reading your posts is always a new and exciting adventure!
    Thanks for the entertainment.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Another smart move by Ben, this kid is impressing me. It's not about the player, but what could happen. Things might work out right with the other players, easy to move him at July 31 deadline, use guys like this to build your Farm Sytem.
    Posted by bobbysu

Another smart move?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Is Cody Ross the impact player you were hoping for? : Another smart move?
    Posted by Alibiike

OK, so let me get this straight.  You have been lobbying for Iggy to get the nod at shortstop and how Scutaro is horrid.  Now the kid has an opening.  And, the Sox pick up a playoff-tested, hard-nosed, lefty-killer who can play anywhere in the OF, when one of the needs is RF and now LF for a while til CC returns ... and you are not willing to concede this is a smart move?

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Is Cody Ross the impact player you were hoping for? :   OK, so let me get this straight.  You have been lobbying for Iggy to get the nod at shortstop and how Scutaro is horrid.  Now the kid has an opening.  And, the Sox pick up a playoff-tested, hard-nosed, lefty-killer who can play anywhere in the OF, when one of the needs is RF and now LF for a while til CC returns ... and you are not willing to concede this is a smart move?
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Well, it was a foregone conclusion that a RH hitting OFer was needed. Most people that follw the Sox knew that. Cody Ross is servicable, but it would have been better to get a full-time guy, rather than a platoon player. There were certainly better options earlier in the off-season.
    Ross strikes out way too much to offset the power numbers, and although he hits lefties well, his numbers against RHP is abysmal.
    Like I said before, strictly bench material on a Red Sox team. Could be a starter for a smaller market team.
    So, was it smart? More predictable than smart.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

In Response to Re: Is Cody Ross the impact player you were hoping for? :   OK, so let me get this straight.  You have been lobbying for Iggy to get the nod at shortstop and how Scutaro is horrid.  Now the kid has an opening.  And, the Sox pick up a playoff-tested, hard-nosed, lefty-killer who can play anywhere in the OF, when one of the needs is RF and now LF for a while til CC returns ... and you are not willing to concede this is a smart move?
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Advantage - Space!

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Is Cody Ross the impact player you were hoping for? : Well, it was a foregone conclusion that a RH hitting OFer was needed. Most people that follw the Sox knew that. Cody Ross is servicable, but it would have been better to get a full-time guy, rather than a platoon player. There were certainly better options earlier in the off-season. Ross strikes out way too much to offset the power numbers, and although he hits lefties well, his numbers against RHP is abysmal. Like I said before, strictly bench material on a Red Sox team. Could be a starter for a smaller market team. So, was it smart? More predictable than smart.
    Posted by Alibiike

better options?  Really?  Who?  Take contract into account here ike, this aint fantasy ball.  It is a proven mistake to rely on FA to fill all holes when the best option, if possible, is to go homegrown.  The idea is that current RF is a placeholder for Kalish.  So, whoever your 'better'option is than Ross kind of interferes with that.  

In any case, I think you havent seen Cody Ross play.  I think you undervalue what he brings to the table.  And, I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you see him play this summer.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Is Cody Ross the impact player you were hoping for? : better options?  Really?  Who?  Take contract into account here ike, this aint fantasy ball.  It is a proven mistake to rely on FA to fill all holes when the best option, if possible, is to go homegrown.  The idea is that current RF is a placeholder for Kalish.  So, whoever your 'better'option is than Ross kind of interferes with that.   In any case, I think you havent seen Cody Ross play.  I think you undervalue what he brings to the table.  And, I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you see him play this summer.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

I like Ross. I like his work ethic, and his determination. For what he lacks in talent, he makes up for in hard work.
    But he's not a solution for the hole in RF, and neither is Kalish. i thought Reddick was going to be the future out there, but that ship has now sailed.
    I was a proponent for acquiring Francouer from the Royals, a deal that I believe could have been made if the RS would have acted quickly. After that, when I knew they were planning to platoon, I lobbied for Andruw, certainly a better offensive and defensive choice than Ross.
    IMO, Ben settled for what was leftover instead of being aggressive. He could have made a huge impact as GM but has chosen to play it safe.
    We'll see how it works out.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

In Response to Re: Is Cody Ross the impact player you were hoping for? : Don't get your second comings mixed up Summer.  Not Dewey.  Trot.  Dirrrrrrrrrt Dawwwwwwg.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Trot or Troy O'.

Either one.

Love those dirt dogs. You are right, Space.

Sections
Shortcuts