Is Cody Ross the impact player you were hoping for?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Is Cody Ross the impact player you were hoping for?

In Response to Re: Is Cody Ross the impact player you were hoping for?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Cody Ross the impact player you were hoping for? : Trot or Troy O'. Either one. Love those dirt dogs. You are right, Space.
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]

Tort or Troy indeed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Cody Ross the impact player you were hoping for? : Space, after the somnambulant style of play that was given by Drew, Cody Ross will look like the second coming of Dewey Evans by comparison. Which is to day, a good role player will look like an impact player, given what preceded him. It's all good. And it costs $11 mil less per year. Here endeth the lesson.
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]

drew was a very good RF.....when he played

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Cody Ross the impact player you were hoping for? : I like Ross. I like his work ethic, and his determination. For what he lacks in talent, he makes up for in hard work. But he's not a solution for the hole in RF, and neither is Kalish. i thought Reddick was going to be the future out there, but that ship has now sailed. I was a proponent for acquiring Francouer from the Royals, a deal that I believe could have been made if the RS would have acted quickly. After that, when I knew they were planning to platoon, I lobbied for Andruw, certainly a better offensive and defensive choice than Ross. IMO, Ben settled for what was leftover instead of being aggressive. He could have made a huge impact as GM but has chosen to play it safe. We'll see how it works out.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

OK.  I don't see how they would have gotten Francoeur.  Jeff didn't even wait to test the market.  He extended for 2 years in the middle of August, for an amazing team friendly deal.  You think speed would have gotten a trade done?  Certainly it may have been possible ... if the Sox were willing to mortgage the farm.  The royals would be fools to deal him even steven.  Sooo, I really don't think that was even remotely in play, at any point.

OK, Kalish is not the answer.  I can accept that notion.  I am not sure he is either.  But, given the possibilities (real possibilities, not Jeff Francoeur fantasies), it is worth a hold over to give him a shot.

Sooo, Andruw Jones?  Hmmm.  Over Cody Ross?  Hmmm.  Jones had a feel good year last year buried on the bench in the Bronx.  He is a fantastic part time bench guy.  But, while Ross is certainly not without holes in his game, Jones has been abysmal for years.  I appreciate that you remember that Andruw Jones of yore that looked like the second coming of Say Hey.  But the bumbling imposter who took over for him about 5 years ago couldn't hold Cody ross' jock.  

Its not that I don't appreciate your thoughts.  I just think its weird to talk of Ben shoulda made a big splash, and then suggest impossibilities such as Jeff Francouer when pressed on who your big splash move would be.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Cody Ross the impact player you were hoping for? : OK.  I don't see how they would have gotten Francoeur.  Jeff didn't even wait to test the market.  He extended for 2 years in the middle of August, for an amazing team friendly deal.  You think speed would have gotten a trade done?  Certainly it may have been possible ... if the Sox were willing to mortgage the farm.  The royals would be fools to deal him even steven.  Sooo, I really don't think that was even remotely in play, at any point. OK, Kalish is not the answer.  I can accept that notion.  I am not sure he is either.  But, given the possibilities (real possibilities, not Jeff Francoeur fantasies), it is worth a hold over to give him a shot. Sooo, Andruw Jones?  Hmmm.  Over Cody Ross?  Hmmm.  Jones had a feel good year last year buried on the bench in the Bronx.  He is a fantastic part time bench guy.  But, while Ross is certainly not without holes in his game, Jones has been abysmal for years.  I appreciate that you remember that Andruw Jones of yore that looked like the second coming of Say Hey.  But the bumbling imposter who took over for him about 5 years ago couldn't hold Cody ross' jock.   Its not that I don't appreciate your thoughts.  I just think its weird to talk of Ben shoulda made a big splash, and then suggest impossibilities such as Jeff Francouer when pressed on who your big splash move would be.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

I am not so sure a Francoeur deal couldn't have been done. If all the right pieces are in place, any deal can be done. Yes, it may have taken some high level prospects and maybe an established vet, but look at the upside. Francouer is young, hits for power, good speed, and an excellent defender. IMO, would have been an excellent fit at Fenway.
    The RS would have had to covet him like they did AGon to get a deal done, I suppose.
    I am just not real big on platooning guys. Remember our outfield in 2010? I know, Cameron and Ells were both hurt, and of course Drew, he was always hurt.
    We did manage to get by with probably 140 out of 162 different OF line-ups.
    If Ross could hit RHP decent enough to start every game, I would prefer him to  DMac/Aviles/Kalish/Sweeney musical chairs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Cody Ross the impact player you were hoping for? : I am not so sure a Francoeur deal couldn't have been done. If all the right pieces are in place, any deal can be done. Yes, it may have taken some high level prospects and maybe an established vet, but look at the upside. Francouer is young, hits for power, good speed, and an excellent defender. IMO, would have been an excellent fit at Fenway. The RS would have had to covet him like they did AGon to get a deal done, I suppose. I am just not real big on platooning guys. Remember our outfield in 2010? I know, Cameron and Ells were both hurt, and of course Drew, he was always hurt. We did manage to get by with probably 140 out of 162 different OF line-ups. If Ross could hit RHP decent enough to start every game, I would prefer him to  DMac/Aviles/Kalish/Sweeney musical chairs.

I agree that a platoon situation is never ideal.  But I do think Francoeur is wild fantasy talk and nowhere within the realm of reason.  Now, what i would have liked to have seen, and thought was bubbling after Cherrington's visit to the DR, was a play for Cespedes.  This guy looks like the real deal.  Dunno, maybe the scouts saw otherwise, or just not enough to throw superstar money and years on a gamble.  But I have a feeling about this one.  Maybe i just dig Cuba.  i don't know.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Cody Ross the impact player you were hoping for? : I agree that a platoon situation is never ideal.  But I do think Francoeur is wild fantasy talk and nowhere within the realm of reason.  Now, what i would have liked to have seen, and thought was bubbling after Cherrington's visit to the DR, was a play for Cespedes.  This guy looks like the real deal.  Dunno, maybe the scouts saw otherwise, or just not enough to throw superstar money and years on a gamble.  But I have a feeling about this one.  Maybe i just dig Cuba.  i don't know.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Could be, Space.

We've had some success with Cubans before.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...If Ross could hit RHP decent enough to start every game, I would prefer him to  DMac/Aviles/Kalish/Sweeney musical chairs....

Ross is OK vs RHPs, and certainly better than what we got last year in RF, but Sweeney is better. He gets on base about 40 points higher than Cody career. I'm not sure why you are so against a L/R platoon. It has happened across baseball for years and years, and has been very effective.

Here's a breakdown of the career splits:

Cody Ross vs LHPs (per 683 PAs) .282  41  125  (.349/.563/.912)

Cody Ross vs RHPs (per 683 PAs) .253  19   80  (.313/.414/.727)

RSweeney vs RHPs (per 683 PAs) .296   7   75  (.352/.402/.754)

RSweeney vs LHPs (per 683 PAs) .233   2   40  (.306/.289/.594)     

Overall:
    Cody Ross (per 683)  .261 24  90  (.323/.456/.779)
    RSweeney (per 683) .283   6  65  (.342/.378/.720)

I'd play Cody vs all LHPs in RF, and maybe 25-33% of the types of RHPs he has hit well (better). I guess that would make it about a 50-50 platoon. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Cody Ross the impact player you were hoping for? : I like Ross. I like his work ethic, and his determination. For what he lacks in talent, he makes up for in hard work. But he's not a solution for the hole in RF, and neither is Kalish. i thought Reddick was going to be the future out there, but that ship has now sailed. I was a proponent for acquiring Francouer from the Royals, a deal that I believe could have been made if the RS would have acted quickly. After that, when I knew they were planning to platoon, I lobbied for Andruw, certainly a better offensive and defensive choice than Ross. IMO, Ben settled for what was leftover instead of being aggressive. He could have made a huge impact as GM but has chosen to play it safe. We'll see how it works out.

So you're saying:

-One of the reasons you don't like Ross is that his numbers against RHP are 'abysmal'.
    -You like Francouer much better.

Ross has a career OPS of .727 against RHP.
    Francouer has a career OPS of .710 against RHP.  Isn't that worse than abysmal?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Cody Ross the impact player you were hoping for? : So you're saying: -One of the reasons you don't like Ross is that his numbers against RHP are 'abysmal'. -You like Francouer much better. Ross has a career OPS of .727 against RHP. Francouer has a career OPS of .710 against RHP.  Isn't that worse than abysmal?
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]
     oops.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Cody Ross the impact player you were hoping for? : Those dang facts and stats lol
    Posted by thepeskypole6[/QUOTE]

LOL!

Surprised

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

At this point and close to spring training, Ross is the best the team could get for the money Cherington is told by Lucchino that he can pay.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Ross has a better season than Beltran, Cuddyer, Kubel and/or several others that cost more than he did. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

I think Ross could pull a Mike Lowell and ressurect his career by hitting the ball off the Monster and getting those occassional Fenway HR's.  His defense is decent enough as a platoon player. He should stay healthy enough to hit against lefties and spell a starter who may get injured. 

The RS needed a short term guy to bridge the gap to Kalish or Brentz and now they have two in Ross and Sweeney. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think Ross could pull a Mike Lowell and ressurect his career by hitting the ball off the Monster and getting those occassional Fenway HR's.  His defense is decent enough as a platoon player. He should stay healthy enough to hit against lefties and spell a starter who may get injured.  

The RS needed a short term guy to bridge the gap to Kalish or Brentz and now they have two in Ross and Sweeney.

Cody has actually done decent enough vs RHPs to be a FT player. Fenway might help. Better hitters all around him might help. I see Ross as more than just a platoon player, but if that's all he ends up being and hits over .900 vs LHPs as Sweeney has nearly an .800 OPS vs RHPs, we will gain a lot in RF production this year. 

You are right, I think Kalish or Brentz (or some other prospect OF'er) replacing Sweeney is probably in the works.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ncsoxfan4life. Show ncsoxfan4life's posts

I THINK PLAYING WITH A BETTER LINE-UP & HALF HIS GAMES @ FENWAY HE WILL PUT # LIKE 15-20 HR 60-70 RBI & .260-.270 BA

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Yeah at.240 he should be the reincarnation of Dwight Evans outthere. another cheap signing for Young Ben.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah at.240 he should be the reincarnation of Dwight Evans outthere. another cheap signing for Young Ben.
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]

Why do you assume that a guy with a .261 career BA will be a .240 hitter in Fenway, just beacuse he hit that in SF last year?

Will you also assume Bailey will put up the same numbers as he did in Oakland?  Melancon in Houston?