Is David Price our most "Realistic" Future Option For an Ace?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

Is David Price our most "Realistic" Future Option For an Ace?

Lately the last year or two teams have been locking up their young aces: Hernandez, Cain, Weaver, Hamels, soon probably Kershaw and Verlander although Verlander is interested in testing out free agency. All these pitchers are either 28 - 30 years old or younger and are some of the best arms in the game. One of those arms that is not locked up right now or is most likely isn't gonna get locked up is David Price. The Rays recently dealt away James Shields now before his trade value dropped because of how close he was to free agency. The Rays knew that they weren't going to be able to afford Shields with the other issues the Rays have along with the recent extension they gave to Longoria. The Rays are most likely going to need to either trade away Price or hang on to him and just let him walk via free agency. My question is: with these young studs either most likely getting locked up soon or already locked up, is David Price our most realistic option given the team he plays for and the type of money he will command? I'm not saying are the Red Sox going to get him, or what will it take to get him, I'm saying is he our most realistic option in 2 years if this team is still in need of an "Ace?" Even if Verlander decides to become a free agent would we really rather sign him over Price? I think Verlander will be a free agent at age 32. Would we really rather have an aging 32 year old pitcher who barring injury or drop in his performance would probably be looking to get paid the most money in Baseball History VS a 29 Year Old Ace who has proven he can pitch in the AL East and still has 2 - 3 prime years left? Do you think he is the most realistic or a realistic option for the Red Sox in the next few years?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Is David Price our most

If the Rays would trade him here. Not sure they would.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

if you look at the FA starters coming out the next 2 years things certainly look good.. price isn't our only option going forward.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

if you look at the FA starters coming out the next 2 years things certainly look good.. price isn't our only option going forward.

Starting pitchers

Bronson Arroyo (37)
    Scott Baker (32)
    Erik Bedard (35)
    Nick Blackburn (32) - $8MM club option
    A.J. Burnett (37)
    Chris Capuano (35) - $8MM mutual option with a $1MM buyout
    Chris Carpenter (39)
    Bruce Chen (37)
    Bartolo Colon (41)
    Aaron Cook (35)
    Jorge De La Rosa (33)
    Scott Feldman (30)
    Gavin Floyd (31)
    Jeff Francis (33)
    Armando Galarraga (32)
    Freddy Garcia (38)
    Matt Garza (30)
    Roy Halladay (37) - $20MM vesting option
    Jason Hammel (31)
    Aaron Harang (36) - $7MM+ mutual option with a $2MM buyout
    Rich Harden (32)
    Dan Haren (33)
    Roberto Hernandez (33)
    Tim Hudson (38)
    Phil Hughes (28)
    Ubaldo Jimenez (30) - may void $8MM option for 2014
    Josh Johnson (30)
    Jeff Karstens (31)
    Hiroki Kuroda (39)
    John Lannan (29)
    Jon Lester (30) - $13MM club option with a $250K buyout
    Colby Lewis (34)
    Ted Lilly (38)
    Tim Lincecum (30)
    Paul Maholm (32)
    Shaun Marcum (32)
    Jason Marquis (35)
    Daisuke Matsuzaka (33)
    Brett Myers (33) - club option
    Ricky Nolasco (31)
    Mike Pelfrey (30)
    Andy Pettitte (42)
    Wandy Rodriguez (35) - $13MM club option with a $2.5MM buyout
    Jonathan Sanchez (31)
    Ervin Santana (31)
    Johan Santana (34) - $25MM club option with a $5.5MM buyout
    Joe Saunders (33) - mutual option
    James Shields (32) - $12MM club option with a $1MM buyout
    Tim Stauffer (32)
    Jason Vargas (31)
    Ryan Vogelsong (36) - $6.5MM club option with a $300K buyout
    Edinson Volquez (30)
    Tsuyoshi Wada (33) - $5MM club option
    Adam Wainwright (32)
    Suk-min Yoon (27)
    Chris Young (35)
    Barry Zito (36) - $18MM vesting option with a $7MM buyout
    Brett Anderson (27) - $12MM club option with a $1.5MM buyout
    Homer Bailey (29)
    Josh Beckett (35)
    Chad Billingsley (30) - $14MM club option with a $3MM buyout
    Nick Blackburn (33)
    Joe Blanton (34) - $8MM club option with a $1MM buyout
    Wei-Yin Chen (29) - $4.75MM club option with a $372K buyout
    Kevin Correia (34)
    Johnny Cueto (29) - $10MM club option with an $800K buyout
    Ryan Dempster (38)
    Yovani Gallardo (29) - $13MM club option with a $600K buyout
    Edgar Gonzalez (32)
    J.A. Happ (32)
    Luke Hochevar (31)
    Hisashi Iwakuma (34) - $7MM club option with a $1MM buyout
    Jair Jurrjens (29)
    Kyle Kendrick (30)
    Clayton Kershaw (27)
    Aaron Laffey (30)
    John Lannan (30)
    Justin Masterson (30)
    Brandon McCarthy (31)
    Dustin McGowan (32) - $4MM club option with a $500K buyout
    Brandon Morrow (30) - $10MM club option with a $1MM buyout
    Charlie Morton (31)
    Jeff Niemann (32)
    Ross Ohlendorf (32)
    Felipe Paulino (31)
    Jake Peavy (34)
    Clayton Richard (31)
    Max Scherzer (30)
    Chris Volstad (28)
    Justin Verlander (32)
    Carlos Villanueva (31)

Here is every pitcher available within the next 2 years and the age they will be when they become a free agent

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Lincecum might look good in the home whites.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

thanks lefty!

lots of good names on that list. Some of the better ones will get locked up before they hit FA but still.... a lot of opportunities to bring a stud pitcher in beantown.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Price would be a big score, but it might never come to that. TB would probably trade him out of the AL East before losing him for just a draft choice. If he becomes a FA, we'd have a chance, but the bidding will be outrageous.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Price would be a big score, but it might never come to that. TB would probably trade him out of the AL East before losing him for just a draft choice. If he becomes a FA, we'd have a chance, but the bidding will be outrageous.

except it won't be like this year where he is the only stud pitcher like Grienke was this offseason. If there are multiple high end pitchers available the cimpetition won't be as fierce to sign him as other teams will have their attention focused elsewhere.

you gotta pay to play.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I like Price. Honestly if Lester were winning 15 games a year and pitching better the two of them would be an excellent 1-2.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Buzzkill! Getting Price would be a real coup. I am not in favor of spending a lot of money and tying it up in a single player long term, but Price is one I could live with. He will be good for many year. Unfortunately, I think you are right: the Rays will trade him for a bounty of prospects that will keep their pitching top notch for years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Young pitching requires leadership. Just because the Rays have some great arms on paper does not guarantee a championship if there is no role model and/or leadership from a veteran such as Price.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

the only 2 names on that list that are interesting are josh johnson (who we tried to get) and tim lincecum assuming he can rebound this year. I think josh johnson will likely hit the market and the sox will likely be in on him. It will be interesting to see how he does this year in the AL east and if he can stay healthy. he is no doubt talented but staying healthy has always been an issue for him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

as for david price, i really dont think the sox have a shot at getting him unless A) he hits free agency or B) they blow the rays away with an offer thats above and beyond the competition. It is possible to get him, but highly unlikely in my opinion. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

as for david price, i really dont think the sox have a shot at getting him unless A) he hits free agency or B) they blow the rays away with an offer thats above and beyond the competition. It is possible to get him, but highly unlikely in my opinion. 

Both arguments against acquiring him.  Nobody likes to hear it, since everyone wants a Christmas present, but acquiring players by no other means than out-spending the other 29 teams, is not going to work.  I like him better than some of the more recent 'must-haves', since he is actually a star,   But the only long-term path to success is to sign guys for less than the value they provide.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

the only 2 names on that list that are interesting are josh johnson (who we tried to get) and tim lincecum assuming he can rebound this year. I think josh johnson will likely hit the market and the sox will likely be in on him. It will be interesting to see how he does this year in the AL east and if he can stay healthy. he is no doubt talented but staying healthy has always been an issue for him.

WHAT?! only 2 names!? you must be on acid

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I hope we break bank for Bruce Chen!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

except it won't be like this year where he is the only stud pitcher like Grienke was this offseason. If there are multiple high end pitchers available the cimpetition won't be as fierce to sign him as other teams will have their attention focused elsewhere.

you gotta pay to play.

Many of the guys on that list will sign, be injured, are way past prime already, or start their declines this year, so I do not think the list will be anywhere near as good as it looks now.

Here'a short list:

Starting pitchers

Gavin Floyd (31)
    Matt Garza (30)
    Roy Halladay (37) - $20MM vesting option
    Dan Haren (33)
    Phil Hughes (28)
    Ubaldo Jimenez (30) - may void $8MM option for 2014
    Josh Johnson (30)
    Jon Lester (30) - $13MM club option with a $250K buyout
    Tim Lincecum (30)
    Ervin Santana (31)
    James Shields (32) - $12MM club option with a $1MM buyout
    Jason Vargas (31) 
    Adam Wainwright (32)

Brett Anderson (27) - $12MM club option with a $1.5MM buyout
    Chad Billingsley (30) - $14MM club option with a $3MM buyout
    Johnny Cueto (29) - $10MM club option with an $800K buyout
    Yovani Gallardo (29) - $13MM club option with a $600K buyout
    Clayton Kershaw (27)
    Justin Masterson (30)
    Brandon McCarthy (31)
    Brandon Morrow (30) - $10MM club option with a $1MM buyout
    Jake Peavy (34)
    Max Scherzer (30)
    Justin Verlander (32)

I like the younger ones in bold.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Anderson is the sneaky dark horse on that list.  However, he does have to actually stay healthy for a full season...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Anderson is the sneaky dark horse on that list.  However, he does have to actually stay healthy for a full season...

True enough, but one could say he is "low mileage" for his age.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i would make a run on all those guys you just listed moon save a select few.

I really think the Doc is one of our best bets for next season. Sure he is old, but that means we won't have to dole out a 4+ year deal to aquire him..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to notin's comment:

True enough, but one could say he is "low mileage" for his age.

Not really when you consider how young he still is...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

One minor glitch in all this is, we have a full have a full rotation for next year.  All five of this year's starters are under contract for next year.

Or let's say one of them isn't, say Lackey or Dempster are hurt.  The next shot goes to Webster or DLR or Barnes.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

One minor glitch in all this is, we have a full have a full rotation for next year.  All five of this year's starters are under contract for next year.

Or let's say one of them isn't, say Lackey or Dempster are hurt.  The next shot goes to Webster or DLR or Barnes.

That can change without injuries.  We also had Beckett under contract for this season...

Sections
Shortcuts