Is David Price our most "Realistic" Future Option For an Ace?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: Is David Price our most

I like David Price a lot.  He is a work horse and a winner.  The Rays cannot afford him so they will likely trade him to a non-AL East team for prospects (like they did by trading Shields to the Royals for Myers). 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Price would be a big score, but it might never come to that. TB would probably trade him out of the AL East before losing him for just a draft choice. If he becomes a FA, we'd have a chance, but the bidding will be outrageous.

just don't ask him to shave :-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Hello jete02fan   :)

On the MLB channel, David Price said that he did not like the Yankee's no facial hair policy.  If Brian Cashman wants him then he needs to convince David why having no facial hair is cool.   ;)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think in a couple years we might have a couple TOTR or even "Ace" type pitcher already in Boston.

Lester WILL revert beck to his 15+ wins a year IMO and I think at least one of Webster, RDLR or Barnes will also be a TOTR pitcher(s). They have all the tools and "stuff" to be just that IMO.

Price will cost waaaaay too much in terms of prospects for the Rays to even consider trading him to Boston.

Im not saying to not go after a young FA pitcher, but would never trade away the farm for one guy...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I think in a couple years we might have a couple TOTR or even "Ace" type pitcher already in Boston.

Lester WILL revert beck to his 15+ wins a year IMO and I think at least one of Webster, RDLR or Barnes will also be a TOTR pitcher(s). They have all the tools and "stuff" to be just that IMO.

Price will cost waaaaay too much in terms of prospects for the Rays to even consider trading him to Boston.

Im not saying to not go after a young FA pitcher, but would never trade away the farm for one guy...

We could possibly get him as a FA.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

Price would be a big score, but it might never come to that. TB would probably trade him out of the AL East before losing him for just a draft choice. If he becomes a FA, we'd have a chance, but the bidding will be outrageous.

just don't ask him to shave :-)

I guess that would rule out the Yanks as a destination then. :-)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

If he reaches FA I would expect the Sox to make a major play for him.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Anderson is the sneaky dark horse on that list.  However, he does have to actually stay healthy for a full season...

True enough, but one could say he is "low mileage" for his age.

I just can't believe you would prefer Anderson over Verlander because of age.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Projecting value vs. expected cost as F.A.'s , allowing for age, I like :

Kershaw, Price, Cueto and Anderson in that order.

But so much can happen.......especially after Rubby grows into Pedro II , anchoring rotation in 2014, and Webster seizes spot while doing his Derek Lowe with extra gas routine by August 2013.

Add in Doubront's becoming another Teddy Higuera this year ( ??!!) along wth Lester & Buch regressing to their means and we appear loaded for SP's for 2014.

Plus Barnes might develop some pitches to go with that fastball, and either Britton or Owens COULD be ready by 2014..........

Now just find some power bats for 1b and rf. Deadline deal for Giancarlo Stanton ?   Say, hmmm, Barnes + Ranaudo + Brentz + Iglesias ?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I would much rather bid on him in FA than give up the farm..Im all for that. The kid is a stud.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Define "ace type".

Over a 3-year period, the top-30 = a #1.  Top-15 = an ace..

Pretty subjective.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

In response to notin's comment:

Anderson is the sneaky dark horse on that list.  However, he does have to actually stay healthy for a full season...

True enough, but one could say he is "low mileage" for his age.

I just can't believe you would prefer Anderson over Verlander because of age.

Where does it say that?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think the Cy Young award was a pretty nice prize for that horse...

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to jimedfred's comment:

But so much can happen.......especially after Rubby grows into Pedro II , anchoring rotation in 2014, and Webster seizes spot while doing his Derek Lowe with extra gas routine by August 2013.

Add in Doubront's becoming another Teddy Higuera this year ( ??!!) along wth Lester & Buch regressing to their means and we appear loaded for SP's for 2014.

Plus Barnes might develop some pitches to go with that fastball, and either Britton or Owens COULD be ready by 2014..........

Now just find some power bats for 1b and rf. Deadline deal for Giancarlo Stanton ?   Say, hmmm, Barnes + Ranaudo + Brentz + Iglesias ?

I like your list, but I might order it Cueto, Kershaw, Price Anderson. Getting Giancarlo Stanton here would be a great thing, but I think you might have to include Bogaerts or Bradley Jr. or both in your trade proposal before Loria would be even moderately interested.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

I like your list, but I might order it Cueto, Kershaw, Price Anderson. Getting Giancarlo Stanton here would be a great thing, but I think you might have to include Bogaerts or Bradley Jr. or both in your trade proposal before Loria would be even moderately interested.

I assume you also consider Cueto would be less costly, thus equating good value. Somewhat unsure why so much love for Anderson. Really think long term deals for  30+ year old SP's not smart, 4 years tops.

You're probably correct on Stanton's cost in trade, but I believe in holding onto Bogaerts & Bradley no matter what. Dittos for Webster & DeLaRosa. Anyone else in system fair game if we improve team. Call me crazy but I think Jackie B.Jr can be Brett Butler with a better arm, maybe a touch more power. And Xander ? Hmm, maybe another Nomar...but better attitude ? Spring fever has me a bit optimistic, methinks.

For Stanton, offer as many Cubans as it would take ? ( ballplayers, not smokes,lol) Iggy, Linares, etc.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I assume you also consider Cueto would be less costly, thus equating good value. Somewhat unsure why so much love for Anderson. Really think long term deals for  30+ year old SP's not smart, 4 years tops.

You're probably correct on Stanton's cost in trade, but I believe in holding onto Bogaerts & Bradley no matter what. Dittos for Webster & DeLaRosa. Anyone else in system fair game if we improve team. Call me crazy but I think Jackie B.Jr can be Brett Butler with a better arm, maybe a touch more power. And Xander ? Hmm, maybe another Nomar...but better attitude ? Spring fever has me a bit optimistic, methinks.

For Stanton, offer as many Cubans as it would take ? ( ballplayers, not smokes,lol) Iggy, Linares, etc.

I'm being extremely optimistic, but I think Xander could be Jim Rice with better wheels. As far as Bradley Jr. goes I'm not really sure who he reminds me of. Maybe Mike Cameron? Maybe Fred Lynn a little too. And color me crazy but I still like Linares. He did go yard yesterday. :-) But if you're out I think the only members of the JC Linares fan club are moonslav and myself.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

And I forgot to add that I just really like Johnny Cueto. Although if Barnes, Rubby or Webster pans out any one of those three would be an acceptable substitute at the top of the rotation.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

In response to jimedfred's comment

I'm being extremely optimistic, but I think Xander could be Jim Rice with better wheels. As far as Bradley Jr. goes I'm not really sure who he reminds me of. Maybe Mike Cameron? Maybe Fred Lynn a little too. And color me crazy but I still like Linares. He did go yard yesterday. :-) But if you're out I think the only members of the JC Linares fan club are moonslav and myself.

Nope,  still in on Linares big time ! But it appears  nobody in front office or scouting fraternity shares our opinion, and with JC's age the clock is definitely ticking....

Although with injuries / wounds to Hassan , Brentz, Kalish etc. there may be a spot opening. Perhaps Ortiz misses time, Gomes and Napoli become dh's, and Carp continues to suck....whatever...would really like to see Linares become a big leaguer, think he has power/average/defense potential like Cespedes.

Not certain Bogaerts has 40 HR potential, but easily see 30 along with .330 + B.A....and at either ss or 3b that would be awesomely excellent. Bradley Jr. as Fragile Freddy ? Hmm, not sure JBJ's arm, power, or batting avg. have same ceiling as Lynn, particularly his arm. But I certainly like the way you think !     (at least regarding baseball , lol)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to jimedfred's comment

Nope,  still in on Linares big time ! But it appears  nobody in front office or scouting fraternity shares our opinion, and with JC's age the clock is definitely ticking....

Although with injuries / wounds to Hassan , Brentz, Kalish etc. there may be a spot opening. Perhaps Ortiz misses time, Gomes and Napoli become dh's, and Carp continues to suck....whatever...would really like to see Linares become a big leaguer, think he has power/average/defense potential like Cespedes.

Not certain Bogaerts has 40 HR potential, but easily see 30 along with .330 + B.A....and at either ss or 3b that would be awesomely excellent. Bradley Jr. as Fragile Freddy ? Hmm, not sure JBJ's arm, power, or batting avg. have same ceiling as Lynn, particularly his arm. But I certainly like the way you think !     (at least regarding baseball , lol)

I could say the same about you. Bradley though, has a very nice arm. I was reading somewhere that someone was saying that he has the best arm in the Red Sox' minor league system. He might not have quite the pop as Lynn did, but I think he might hit for as high an average and steal more bases. One guy the Sox might want to take a look at for first is Jose Abreu. He's been putting up insane numbers in Cuba.

Sections
Shortcuts