Is Douby a solid #2 in the making

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Is Douby a solid #2 in the making

perhaps he will never be a solid #1, but is this kid growing up before our eyes into a solid #2 in the making?

3 or fewer runs given up in 19 of 20 starts?  Not too shabby!!!!

Suddenly, we find ourselves stacked with 3 SOLID #3's with LACKEY, PEAVY, & DOUBS, leaving the #4 spot opefront Lester.  This still leaves #1 spot for Buch, if he ever gets back.  All 3 a fore mentioned #3's would be solid #2's on most MLB teams.

so.......  For my money the order right now is.....

#1 > Buch

#2 > Lackey / Doubs / Peavy

#3 > Lackey / Doubs / Peavy.   (Can't decide on order)

#4 > Lackey / Doubs / Peavy

#5 > Lester

#6 > Dempster will soon be the odd man out

Anyway, I think Doubs could potentially become a very solid #2 in the very near future!

Fingers crossed for him to continue maturing quickly, & carpe diem!  Could it already be in the process for this year?  Not officially, but de facto???  

Kid's standing & performance is on a meteoric rise!!!!

God I love this TEAM!   God I love having these pitching order worries!!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: Is Douby a solid #2 in the making

Wow!   With Lester as your de facto #5, you've got some wonderful problems

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Doub is pitching like a #1 right now and has been for quite a few starts.

Time will tell if he can keep it up and continue through the playoffs. I'm worried about him burning out just when we need him most: October.

Perhaps we can rest him some when Buch comes back, or if Workman continues doing well.

Sox4ever

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Time will tell if he can keep it up and continue through the playoffs. I'm worried about him burning out just when we need him most: October.

Perhaps we can rest him some when Buch comes back, or if Workman continues doing well.

Sox4ever

Totally agree.  I wanted to see so much more from workman, so I like that ideas very much.

love having all this pitching!!!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

About time Doubront received some praise from this board. He hasn't allowed more than three earned runs since the beginning of May and is carrying a 2.55 ERA since. That is ace-like!

All hail Prince Felix!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

To me he's a #2 until he can consistently keep his pitch count down and the walks down.  The stuff is there and to his credit he probably could have gone the distance....I think they are preserving his arm for the playoffs.  

His control looked much sharper tonight.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Don't care what you number him, he's been doing a great job for a guy who showed up in camp out of shape. As Mr. Berry said, you never can tell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIOkQxiOpVQ

And as Ole Blue Eyes said, "Douby" doo doo doo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF09jJlJCU0

"Hold it fellows, that don't move me. Let's get real, real gone for a change."

-Elvis Presley

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

This is about the time that little twinge in the 7th will turn out to be a strained rib cage muscle, which will turn into a crakced rib, then into pnuemonia, then into lung cancer. Just our luck, every time a guy starts to make progress he ends up hurt or in ICU. LOL 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

According to this board Douby can never be a solid #2. :) 

But I like him as a 2-3 guy, very solid. On a championship team I like him as a 3 right now, need a bit more consistency. 

Dirt Dog where is Workman on your list? Oh, and how can you put Buch number 1 when he can't even get on the field? That's the postseason problem if he can't get back to number 1 form...

But for regular season if Peavy is going to pitch well we are looking pretty darn good...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Sox4ever

Moonslav, that is what I like about you.  We have debated about Doubront before. You were down on him , while I supported him. But you are not so devoted to your original opinion, that you will not give credit where it is due. And , Doubront deserves the recognition.  He has consistently pitched very well.  As for him being a so - called # 2 ,  what is the difference ?  We have a five man rotation. How some want to rate them, one through five , is irrelevant.  They will all pitch in turn. But it is good to see you give respect to Felix. Too many on here care more about validating their opinions than being objective. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

15 starts in a row giving up 3 runs or less. THAT is impressive.

Doubie was projected as a 3-5 pitcher with a cieling of a #2. Put whatever number you want on him, but Ill just say hes pitching like a front line starter on a contending team.

Adding Peavy to the mix must really make RSN feel a bit more relaxed looking at our rotation.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Felix has been our most consistent starter all  year. That obviously excluded Buchholz.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

According to this board Douby can never be a solid #2. :) 

Well, at least we're no longer debating whether or not he is a #5, at best.  Or that he should be cut or sent to the minors.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Marioguy424. Show Marioguy424's posts

Yeah, I'd say he's a solid two, or, at the very least, a very good three. He might have the potential to be a numero uno, although he might also peak at #2. With Peavy and Lackey, we've got ourselves a solid 1-3 through the playoffs, although we'd be much better off if Buchholz had any resistance to pain whatsoever and came back. Fortunately, our offense has performed well enough that as long as our pitching is solid, we can make a run deep into the playoffs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Sox4ever

Moonslav, that is what I like about you.  We have debated about Doubront before. You were down on him , while I supported him. But you are not so devoted to your original opinion, that you will not give credit where it is due. And , Doubront deserves the recognition.  He has consistently pitched very well.  As for him being a so - called # 2 ,  what is the difference ?  We have a five man rotation. How some want to rate them, one through five , is irrelevant.  They will all pitch in turn. But it is good to see you give respect to Felix. Too many on here care more about validating their opinions than being objective. 

I have admitted I was wrong about Doubront. It's not the first nor will it be my last wrong opinion. 

That being said, I never have said Doubront lacked talent. In fact, I said many times that he had "nasty stuff". My issue was always with his attitude and conditioning. His career is just beginning, but I was clearly wrong. I'm glad we didn't trade him as I suggest so many times, but it's not like I ever wanted to give him away. All of my trade suggestions were for very good players, so that does show I thought Doubront had a lot of value. 

I am so happy Felix is doing so well. Where would we be right now without him?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Even before today's game Doubront had the 8th best pitcher WAR in MLB at 0.8 for the second half of 2013.

He's pitching like a number 1. Call him what you want, but he's our ace until he proves otherwise or someone else does even better.

Sox4ever

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Doubront's major statistical issue has always been WHIP, or more specifically too many walks causing him to not be able to go that deep into a game.

Here are his game log numbers starting from today and going backwards.

IP  ER  H  BB

7    0   5   0

5    2   8   3

6.2 3   6   2

6.1 1   3   3

7    1   5   2

6.2 2   5   2

6.1 2   5   3

5    2   4   4

8    0   3   0

4.2 3   7   1

6    3   6   2

6    1   6   3

6    2   5   2

6    2   5   2

5    2   3   6

29 BBs in his last 15 starts is still not great, but it is a huge improvement over his earlier numbers.

91.2 IP and 76 Hits + 29 BBs in = 105 in 91.2 is a 1.145 WHIP.

What a great improvement!

92 IP is not a large sample size, but it is certainly significant enough to show a nice trend in the right direction.

Keep it up Felix!!!!

Sox4ever

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Douby is sparking it up!

Johnny Hopkins & Slone Caterick couldn't blaze it like this guy!!!!!

;)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Call him whatever # you want he's just a very good starting pitcher right now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I have to admit, I didn't think the kid would get his sh...  stuff together this year.  Is Pedro M. the puppet master????  How does the kid go from out of shape & overweight to this????

Whatever the case, somebody reached this kid!!!

Stories abound...........   This is one special team......

Don't ya keep wondering when reality comes crashing down?  I do!  BUT.....  This bunch of nobodies keeps on doing it............

I love the drama!  I love the suspense!  This is REAL reality TV!   

Step Brothers!  Watch it!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

I have to admit, I didn't think the kid would get his sh...  stuff together this year.  Is Pedro M. the puppet master????  How does the kid go from out of shape & overweight to this????

Whatever the case, somebody reached this kid!!!

Stories abound...........   This is one special team......

Don't ya keep wondering when reality comes crashing down?  I do!  BUT.....  This bunch of nobodies keeps on doing it............

I love the drama!  I love the suspense!  This is REAL reality TV!   

Step Brothers!  Watch it!

This team is made up of a lot of former all-stars, not exactly a team of nobodys.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

perhaps he will never be a solid #1, but is this kid growing up before our eyes into a solid #2 in the making?

3 or fewer runs given up in 19 of 20 starts?  Not too shabby!!!!

Suddenly, we find ourselves stacked with 3 SOLID #3's with LACKEY, PEAVY, & DOUBS, leaving the #4 spot opefront Lester.  This still leaves #1 spot for Buch, if he ever gets back.  All 3 a fore mentioned #3's would be solid #2's on most MLB teams.

so.......  For my money the order right now is.....

#1 > Buch

#2 > Lackey / Doubs / Peavy

#3 > Lackey / Doubs / Peavy.   (Can't decide on order)

#4 > Lackey / Doubs / Peavy

#5 > Lester

#6 > Dempster will soon be the odd man out

Anyway, I think Doubs could potentially become a very solid #2 in the very near future!

Fingers crossed for him to continue maturing quickly, & carpe diem!  Could it already be in the process for this year?  Not officially, but de facto???  

Kid's standing & performance is on a meteoric rise!!!!

God I love this TEAM!   God I love having these pitching order worries!!!!!

I have to admit being one of those fans who was ready to trade Doub despite his age.  Since then Doub is starting to remind me a lot of a young Lester.  Their characteristics are also similar in the delivery.  Since Doub has been working a bit faster and found his control I think he could be a top 3 rotation guy very soon.  I wish I could say the same for Jon, who just appears overweight and not very confident compared to a few years back.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

Yes Douby is a solid pitcher and pleasr know one her suggest we should trade him, while his value is still high.  He is only going to get better.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How about Doubront for Stanton straight up?

Sox4ever

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

It is going to be very interesting what Farrell does when Buch comes back and no one else goes on the shelf......Dempster has Pen experience, but considering they will not want to overwork Buch immediately and not wanting to burn out Doubie, and Lackey still just a year away from Surgery and Lester doing better when he got extra rest after the break, would he maybe do a few turns of 6 guys in the rotation? May not need it though since for some reason we have 7 off days between now and the end of the season, but it should enable us to have fresh arms going into the playoffs, if we are in them.

Sections
Shortcuts