Is Farrell a good dugout manager?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Is Farrell a good dugout manager?

... Or just a chemistry master in the clubhouse?... Imho he is a very questionable strategist... To have strikeout machine Nap hitting Fifth behinf Papi the whoe season, tells it all.. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: Is Farrell a good dugout manager?

I thought letting Drew hit away with a man on third and 1 out was a bad decision.  Should of done a safety squeeze.  Lefty lefty match up, plus the pitcher is red hot and the hitter isn't.  1-0 game. Had safety squeeze written all over it.  And if anyone should be able to bunt, it's Drew.  I wouldn't squeeze if ellsbury or Ortiz had been the lefty batter, but Drew - no question.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I have one small concern with farrell and thst is it seems he relies to much on certain guys and Im worried hes going to burn them out.

He plays Salty way too much and doesnt allow lavarnway to catch vs LHP. He uses Koji in non save situations, and IMHO uses Taz too much. Could have used Workman tonight and give Taz a rest. Hes a guy who would rather play the vet even if hes used him a lot.

Its only his 3rd year as an MLB manager though, and hes going to make some bad choices. We have to remember that. Not that Im saying that Im right and hes wrong as he has way more info than I do. Its just my opinion from what I have available to me.

All in all I have no major issue with how hes gone about things.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:

... Or just a chemistry master in the clubhouse?... Imho he is a very questionable strategist... To have strikeout machine Nap hitting Fifth behinf Papi the whoe season, tells it all.. 

Glad you started a thread about this. Not only is he playing Napoli WAY too much, but he is burning out elements of his bullpen (it seems to me; I haven't looked up number of appearances of some of these guys) like Taz and Uehara as well as some of his position players like Pedey and Salty. I hope this does not come back to bite this team later on.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

careful that could be taken more than 1 way ;-)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

If people who had no experience whatsoever at your job (and had never even visited your workplace) commented negatively on your performance, what would you say to them? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to newenglanderinexile's comment:

If people who had no experience whatsoever at your job (and had never even visited your workplace) commented negatively on your performance, what would you say to them? 

I would thank them for their input, carefully consider what they said to see if it has merit, then, if it does, make some changes in how I do my job. Its absurd to think that unless someone has "experience" at my job I can categorically dismiss what they have to say.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Belinsky1962's comment:

Many other teams both past and present have power hitters in the middle of their lineup that strike out too much. In fact, power hitters take harder swings and swing earlier to go for the HR since that is why they were hired. It goes with the territory. This problem is not unique.

I am not sure you can consider Napoli a "power hitter" any more, at least not since May 1. Power hitters by definition HIT, and generally have a good OPS. Napoli is doing neither.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to DirtyWaterLover's comment:

I thought letting Drew hit away with a man on third and 1 out was a bad decision.  Should of done a safety squeeze.  Lefty lefty match up, plus the pitcher is red hot and the hitter isn't.  1-0 game. Had safety squeeze written all over it.  And if anyone should be able to bunt, it's Drew.  I wouldn't squeeze if ellsbury or Ortiz had been the lefty batter, but Drew - no question.

Oberholtzer had not struck anyone out at that point and Drew (who has been swinging a decent bat in recent games) had doubled off him the previous at bat.  No real reason to think Drew would not at least make contact and good contact at that.

Plus, I recall 2 safety squeeze attempts in recent weeks that resulted in both runners being out at the plate.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

I would thank them for their input, carefully consider what they said to see if it has merit, then, if it does, make some changes in how I do my job. Its absurd to think that unless someone has "experience" at my job I can categorically dismiss what they have to say.

+1 mr green

what would you say

if they were a customer of yours

who had no experience whatsoever at your job

(and had never even visited your workplace) commented negatively on your performance

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to DirtyWaterLover's comment:

I agree with you but from watching this year seems to me that they really don't know how to bunt. Always wondered why millions spent on players and they can't put a bunt down.Tha would be a huge in situations that call for moving the runner or as you stated a safty squeeze.Don't believe that a team is not built to bunt... Thats just bull. And don't you know other teams know that also.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

This thread started because we lost last night 2-0 and posters don't know whether to blame it on Farrell or Napoli. Forgotten is that Napoli  and others hit some long bombs that were caught, the Houston pitcher outpitched Lackey, and balls were hit right at the defense. We lost. No need to assess blame on Farrell. It's tough to win a game when you don't score a run.

What do you call a long bomb that is caught? Answer: an out. Napoli alone or Farrell alone did not cause last night's loss. It was a total team effort. Except for Lackey, who I thought pitched well and gutted it out after twisting his ankle.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Most of your posts imply that my concern about Farrell as manager-strategist that is questionable, could be valid, that  he resembles more to  Tito, than a La Russa, Showalter, Melvyn , Girardi or Joe madden, the best of the best....frequently,  nice guys that are  loved in the Clubhouse, become automatic pilots, they win when team wins by itself... Alston used to say that only managers win or lose close games... Believe he was right, believe regretfully that Farrell loses more close games than he wins... Time will tell...hope I am wrong... go sox tonight hopefully with shuffled line up...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

Many other teams both past and present have power hitters in the middle of their lineup that strike out too much. In fact, power hitters take harder swings and swing earlier to go for the HR since that is why they were hired. It goes with the territory. This problem is not unique.

I am not sure you can consider Napoli a "power hitter" any more, at least not since May 1. Power hitters by definition HIT, and generally have a good OPS. Napoli is doing neither.

[/QUOTE]

Base on his stats he is probably the best person on this team to hit 5. Unless you would rather use Navs who since the All Star break has hardlu payed and is out until Thursday.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Most of your posts imply that my concern about Farrell as manager-strategist that is questionable, could be valid, that  he resembles more to  Tito, than a La Russa, Showalter, Melvyn , Girardi or Joe madden, the best of the best....frequently,  nice guys that are  loved in the Clubhouse, become automatic pilots, they win when team wins by itself... Alston used to say that only managers win or lose close games... Believe he was right, believe regretfully that Farrell loses more close games than he wins... Time will tell...hope I am wrong... go sox tonight hopefully with shuffled line up...

The Sox haven't hit lefties well no reason to shuffle the lineup against righties and Farrell is closer to Madden than Francona. He has 15 different shifta he plays based on out, count and who is on base.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

yes

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

I hate his lineup.

Victorino's .333 OBP doesn't cut it for the #2 spot. Pedroia's .411 SLG is too weak for #3. His .373 OBP should be moved to #2. Ortiz should bat 3rd. He's still their best hitter. Moving him to #3 would give him an extra PA.

The cleanup spot is dicey. I agree with the poster that Napoli has proven himself inadequate for the #4 spot. His SLG is fair but he whiffs too much (145 Ks). He should move to the bottom 3rd.

This sounds unorthodox, but I like Victorino at cleanup in spite of his .418 SLG. He's a contact hitter who rarely strikes out. He's fast enough to avoid most DPs. With Ells, Petey, and Papi in front of him, he'll almost always come to the plate with men on base. For that reason, pitchers would have to throw him strikes, so he'll get more pitches to hit.

Another thing that must be done is to call up Dan Butler from Pawtucket. He's 26, he's having a great season (.283/.380/.513), he can platoon with Salty (a switch hitter in name only). Not having Butler with the Boston club defies all logic and makes me question the management paradigm. He's better than Lavarnway, IMO.

...the King of the Rumba Beat...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Actually, he's pretty terrible, and I can provide empirical evidence of that.  The Sox are losing 40% of their games, and no good manager would ever let that happen.  Terry Francona had exactly the same problem.  Scioscia with the Angels has a losing record this year and should have been fired years ago.  Girardi has exactly one WS with the Yankees, enough said. 

Plus there are numerous specific examples of moves made in games that cost the Sox a win.  Wrong guy from the bullpen, not pulling the starter soon enough or waiting too long, bad lineup, the list is endless.  It's this simple:  good managers don't lose games, period. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Actually, he's pretty terrible, and I can provide empirical evidence of that.  The Sox are losing 40% of their games, and no good manager would ever let that happen.  Terry Francona had exactly the same problem.  Scioscia with the Angels has a losing record this year and should have been fired years ago.  Girardi has exactly one WS with the Yankees, enough said. 

Plus there are numerous specific examples of moves made in games that cost the Sox a win.  Wrong guy from the bullpen, not pulling the starter soon enough or waiting too long, bad lineup, the list is endless.  It's this simple:  good managers don't lose games, period. 

Great post.  Farrell drives me crazy filling his lineup every night with guys who make outs in 70 or 75% of their at bats. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

Anyone who has won the players over is pretty solid. However, Napoli has hit the wall and should be platooned for the rest of this month and moved down in the batting order.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Great post.  Farrell drives me crazy filling his lineup every night with guys who make outs in 70 or 75% of their at bats. 

They have a name for guys who make outs in 70% of their at bats.  It's called a .300 hitter.

And as was famously pointed out in the movie Bull Durham, the difference between a .300 hiiter (who makes out 70% of the time) and a .250 hitter (who makes outs 75% of the time) is about 1 hit a week.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Base on his stats he is probably the best person on this team to hit 5. Unless you would rather use Navs who since the All Star break has hardlu payed and is out until Thursday.

They have played 17 games since the ASB. Its such a small sample size that its no wonder folks like you enjoy quoting them. I showed you his stats vs those of Nava vs RHP, and they are inferior. They are also FAR inferior to those of Carp. You just weren't paying attention. Now you will have to look them up by yourself.

Sections
Shortcuts