Is Francona's job safe?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806'sTwin+. Show Bill-806'sTwin+'s posts

Is Francona's job safe?

Will the fact that the Sox won 2 World Series save his job  or is management unhappy with this team's complacency? This team is underperforming but you can't blame it all on Francona?
    Will changing manager put this team in 2012 back in the playoffs or does Theo have to make more drastic moves and shake up this team?
    Finally what type of manager should Theo hire?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Re: Is Francona's job safe?

Definitely not safe. At the beginning of Spring Training a 4MM 2-yr extension was on the table for TF to take effect after the 2011 season. The buyout is about .5MM. At this point in time I don't think there is any chance TF gets the extension even if the RS get the Wild Card. As his performance sample gets larger, his missteps become more apparent, and overall lack of preparation becomes more evident, the only thing that might save him is Baseball Operations Dept.. He is a good soldier for these guys.He implements their program and takes the heat for their decisions. I still can't see JH throwing 4MM at him for another 2 Yrs. though. More like a graceful exit with parting gifts from Heide Watney.                          

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I am a staunch supporter of Francona.  But, I think it is clear that his job is in jeopardy.  Should they fail to make the Big Dance, it is certainly conceivable that he could fired this winter.  But, even in that scenario, I think it more likely he would have at least the start of 2012 to right his ship.  Of course, they could make the big dance. And, of course, against all the "experts" piling on of epitaphs, they could make a deep run.  And, Francona would get big props for the very thing the "experts" are grilling him for at the moment:  not panicking and keeping calm focus through the dark days.  I myself am not sure about the merits of this approach anymore.  It was brilliant in 04, 07, through the darkest of times, keeping guys loose and calmly focused.  But, this club seems to have really lost focus ... and the calm must be coupled with focus in the psychology of competitive sports.  We shall see.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Is Francona's job safe?:
    I am a staunch supporter of Francona.  But, I think it is clear that his job is in jeopardy.  Should they fail to make the Big Dance, it is certainly conceivable that he could fired this winter.  But, even in that scenario, I think it more likely he would have at least the start of 2012 to right his ship.  Of course, they could make the big dance. And, of course, against all the "experts" piling on of epitaphs, they could make a deep run.  And, Francona would get big props for the very thing the "experts" are grilling him for at the moment:  not panicking and keeping calm focus through the dark days.  I myself am not sure about the merits of this approach anymore.  It was brilliant in 04, 07, through the darkest of times, keeping guys loose and calmly focused.  But, this club seems to have really lost focus ... and the calm must be coupled with focus in the psychology of competitive sports.  We shall see.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus
    Fairly stated.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

Not if I were his boss.. he admitted to allowing games to go away early in the year... and well it bitt him in the AZZ

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I would only support firing Francona if Tito were forced to take Crawford with him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

He is gone and so is Theo.  Let them manage the Lowell Spinners or the Amarillo Gold Sox.  Two idiots in search of new villages to ruin!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Is Francona's job safe?:
    Will the fact that the Sox won 2 World Series save his job  or is management unhappy with this team's complacency? This team is underperforming but you can't blame it all on Francona? Will changing manager put this team in 2012 back in the playoffs or does Theo have to make more drastic moves and shake up this team? Finally what type of manager should Theo hire?
    Posted by Bill-806'sTwin+

Do you understand that Not one poster on here would never ever be qualfied to manage a pro team yet everyone has all the answers

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

When the you-know-what hits the fan in any business nobody or no job is safe...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHSOUTH. Show NHSOUTH's posts

Yeah, we understand it's a message board. 

And yeah, if you believe Gammons and watched today's game, Terry is likely to be toast.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

Hard to say. I do know that if the Sox miss the PS this season, it make it 3 of 4 since  they won it all in 2007. I think the seat is growing warm.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

I would only support firing Francona if Tito were forced to take Crawford with him.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost

He should also take Lackey with him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Hard to say. I do know that if the Sox miss the PS this season, it make it 3 of 4 since  they won it all in 2007. I think the seat is growing warm.
    Posted by soxdawg08
    When was the last time Bellichik won with the pats?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHSOUTH. Show NHSOUTH's posts

By tomorrow night, it should be clear that Francona will not be Manager next year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Nobody is safe.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from itllnevahapn. Show itllnevahapn's posts

its either him or theo.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

its either him or theo.
    Posted by itllnevahapn

Don't you think it should be both?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ct-pitcher. Show ct-pitcher's posts

In Response to Is Francona's job safe?:
    Will the fact that the Sox won 2 World Series save his job  or is management unhappy with this team's complacency? This team is underperforming but you can't blame it all on Francona? Will changing manager put this team in 2012 back in the playoffs or does Theo have to make more drastic moves and shake up this team? Finally what type of manager should Theo hire?
    Posted by Bill-806'sTwin+

$168 mil payroll for this epic level of a collapse across the board from hitting to pitching to defense in the field?  Think of how "few" people who play or work for the RS are "safe" under these circumstances - Tito is just the first among many.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ct-pitcher. Show ct-pitcher's posts

In Response to Is Francona's job safe? : Do you understand that Not one poster on here would never ever be qualfied to manage a pro team yet everyone has all the answers
    Posted by donrd4

This is a brilliant observation that has escaped everyone who posts on every message board everywhere.

Note to the nice folks at boston.com who thoughtfully put this message board here so that we, the great unwashed and unworthy masses to comment on things about which we know little and in which we have even less experience - close this down so donrd4 can be relieved of his pain.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scott8340. Show Scott8340's posts

Fire Francona!

Sections
Shortcuts