Is Iglesias the next Jeter?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Is Iglesias the next Jeter?

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Re: Is Iglesias the next Jeter?

You're certainly being optimistic but a bit early to start such predictions. I'd be more than happy with another Ozzie Smith. And NYC fans won't be happy with my next thought but at his best Jeter can't hold a candle to the way Iggy fields right now. 

Just my extremely ignorant, conservatively liberal, all knowing, pervasive, practically meaningless and but extremely intellectual points of view.

Hetch   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Sure, only about 3200 hits left to go.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to SoxPatsCelts1988's comment:

Thoughts?

Big shoes to fill offensively, defensively Iggy will be and is better.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hwaiting. Show Hwaiting's posts

Wayyyy wayyyy too early for that.  We still need to see how Iggy does as August stretches into September before we even know how much he has improved.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Wow....PUMP. THE. BRAKES.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

In response to SoxPatsCelts1988's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thoughts?

Big shoes to fill offensively, defensively Iggy will be and is better.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  I doubt he will spend his whole career with the sox like jeter with the yanks.  No one does that anymore.  Too bad!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

My only thought is the title is a preposterous question.  Jeter has 3000 hits and is pretty much the one player this version of the Yankees dynasty is built around going back at least 15 years and including several WS titles.  To do all those things Jeter not only had to have a ton of talent, he also had to stay healthy. 

And this.  Why can't Iglesias just be Iglesias?  Why does he have to be compared especially in his rookie season? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from gibsonsg. Show gibsonsg's posts

What if Iggy ends up hitting .400 for the season? At 132 AB's so far, he's got less than half as many as Cabrera and Davis (the league leaders in qualified avg.), but now that he's playing every day, what if he actually maintains? How many AB's would it take to qualify as legitimate .400?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Jeter is old enough to be Iggy's daddy.  LOL

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Not real interested in the comparison to Jeter. It does seem he's had enough ABs now to where I'm feeling pretty confident he's turned a corner with the bat. 

If you have followed the scouting reports on him there has always been an observation that based on his tools (relexes, hand-eye coordination, bat-speed, intelligence) that he would hit. 

He's walking, getting multiple hit games, showing some pop, and he apparently is an excellent defensive hitter with two strikes. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:

Not real interested in the comparison to Jeter. It does seem he's had enough ABs now to where I'm feeling pretty confident he's turned a corner with the bat. 

If you have followed the scouting reports on him there has always been an observation that based on his tools (relexes, hand-eye coordination, bat-speed, intelligence) that he would hit. 

He's walking, getting multiple hit games, showing some pop, and he apparently is an excellent defensive hitter with two strikes. 

Some pretty good observations, with which I agree.  He's a different guy at the plate this year, with or without the .400, and his natural hand-eye coordination must have something to do with it. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Pretty tough too compare a kid w/ barely a hundred AB's to lock HOF player.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

tough act to follow

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Well, if Iggy miraculously maintained a plus .400 BA, he'd leave Honus Wagner in the dust.  Jeter wouldn't even be in the conversation.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Jose Iglesias has like 60 hits this year.

He is on a roll, but not a career trend.

If luck ever catches up with the guy, I wonder how his fanbase dwindles...

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Are you comparing Jeter's defense to Iggy's? Jeter will have 2,000 more hits than Iggy at the end of their careers but Iggy will have more GG awards than Jeter.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

FWIW I was pushing for Iggy when I thought he would only hit .250

Next season I still think he hits below .300 but when he comes down to earth I can still see him being a solid .280-.300 guy.

With his defense that is PLENTY. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

tough act to follow

Virtually impossible to follow

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

I feel like I am losing brain cells responding to quite possibly the STUPIDEST thread I have ever seen......but what the heack....brain cells can grow back right??.........oh wait.....nevermind.... ANYWAY:

OP...if Iggy could amount to enough player to hold Jeter's jock then I'll be happy guy.  Jeter is a career .315BA, 255HR, 1250RBI's, .380OBP......oh yeah....he also has 3300 hits and finished in the top 10 in MVP votes 8 times...heck...last year he finished 7th when people said he was over the hill!!!!  .not to mention 5 GG awards (tainted...I KNOW!!!)

I'm an Iggy fan and seen him play a TON in Portland.  He's a gifted player to say the least....but for the love of everything that is holy...can we not compare him to one of the best players to play in the last 50 years EVER AGAIN!!!!

Here's an idea.....how about Iggy becomes the first 'Jose Iglesias'??

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to gibsonsg's comment:

What if Iggy ends up hitting .400 for the season? At 132 AB's so far, he's got less than half as many as Cabrera and Davis (the league leaders in qualified avg.), but now that he's playing every day, what if he actually maintains? How many AB's would it take to qualify as legitimate .400?

oh I don't know. how many did it take for Teddy Ballgame to hit .406?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Jeter might be a career .315 hitter but Iglesias is hitting .415 this year so Iglesias is better. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Wow....PUMP. THE. BRAKES.

Lol, excactly, let's not get carried away !

Sections
Shortcuts