Is Ike Davis a Possibility ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lstboss. Show lstboss's posts

Is Ike Davis a Possibility ?

Read this on MLB Rumors

"With the help of a "baseball source," the New York Mets have created some drama with first baseman Ike Davis. According to that ESPNNewYork.com source, the Mets are open to trading Davis, once considered a franchise cornerstone, to open a spot for Lucas Duda at his natural position (first base). Despite Davis' slow start this season, the Mets believe he will have value on the market because he has big power potential (27 homers, 81 RBIs, .223/.302/.444 slash line in 529 plate appearances this season)."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Is Ike Davis a Possibility ?

He's interesting.

* Age is right

* Former 1st rounder

* Lefty, so maybe Lav picks up a few ABs at 1st

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I'd say he's a possibility if Ortiz doesn't come back - dramatic splits, I'd only use him in a platoon, which is tough to do for a 1B with no other position.

Lavarnway is likely to catch if there's a lefty on the mound.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Davis caught fire  this season after a miserable start.  I would prefer Swisher or La Roche but I would certainly take him over that bum we have playing first base for us us, the immortal James Loneybaloney, classic Dodger reject and supreme underachiever.  I don't know why Cherington is so intrigued with Dodger players.  They're overhyped and most flop miserably.  We need a new first baseman next season and it cannot be Loney.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

fred,

i think to give ben such a hard time about loney is a little out of line.  the dodgers had to dump loney and the sox took him for the rest of the year in order to get rid of the four players (and their salaries) for the next few years.

loney has not been a bad guy nor a terrible player in his time in boston, but he is certainly not the long term first baseman either.   i am sure that he will not be offered arbitration and will be looking for another team for next year.  he may have to take a pay cut because his power seems to be totally gone when and if he signs with another team for 2013 even though his defense has still been pretty good.

i like the idea of seeing what either gomes or sands can do next spring.  neither guy will be highly paid and one or the other may just find his stroke on a consistent basis and supply 20-25 home runs and 90 RBIs playing half their games in fenway.  gomes appears to have that talent and sands reportedly can hit, too.  other teams seem to find this type of projected perfomance every once in a while when they give some of their young guys who may not have been top of the draft type guys a chance.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Davis caught fire  this season after a miserable start.  I would prefer Swisher or La Roche but I would certainly take him over that bum we have playing first base for us us, the immortal James Loneybaloney, classic Dodger reject and supreme underachiever.  I don't know why Cherington is so intrigued with Dodger players.  They're overhyped and most flop miserably.  We need a new first baseman next season and it cannot be Loney.

[/QUOTE]

How is Ben intrigued with the Dodgers?  I thought the Big Dump was his only trade with them?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:
    [QUOTE]

fred,

i think to give ben such a hard time about loney is a little out of line.  the dodgers had to dump loney and the sox took him for the rest of the year in order to get rid of the four players (and their salaries) for the next few years.

loney has not been a bad guy nor a terrible player in his time in boston, but he is certainly not the long term first baseman either.   i am sure that he will not be offered arbitration and will be looking for another team for next year.  he may have to take a pay cut because his power seems to be totally gone when and if he signs with another team for 2013 even though his defense has still been pretty good.

i like the idea of seeing what either gomes or sands can do next spring.  neither guy will be highly paid and one or the other may just find his stroke on a consistent basis and supply 20-25 home runs and 90 RBIs playing half their games in fenway.  gomes appears to have that talent and sands reportedly can hit, too.  other teams seem to find this type of projected perfomance every once in a while when they give some of their young guys who may not have been top of the draft type guys a chance.

Charlie, my opinion of Cherington is about as low as you can go because I think he is a miserable incompetent who is not a good judge of talent and will always take the path of least resistance.  It would not surprise me one twit if he resigns Loney for next season rather than explore trades or free agents for that position.  Cherries is risk averse and totally gutless in my opinion to take chances.  And, no, he had nothing to do with that salary dump; it was done by Henry and Lucchino.  I hope you are right and I am wrong because I have no use for Loney at all.  He is a classic underachiever, can't hit lefties, has no power, no speed, doesn't hit for an average anymore, and is a total cipher in the charisma department---a totally miserable fit for the Red Sox.  Of course, the fact that he is an ex-Dodger enters into it as I despise that team more than any other in baseball with the possible exception of the Yankees.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How is Ben intrigued with the Dodgers?  I thought the Big Dump was his only trade with them?

He also took Ivan de Jesus as well and that guy stinks to high heaven.  He didn't have to take him, and instead of De La Rosa, a guy with a 97-99 fastball straight as an arrow, he also has shaky control and a five cent brain.  The pitcher we should have gotten was Zack Lee, their No. 1 pitching prospect.  Once again Cherington got schooled and was convinced that these has-been former prospects of the Bums were genuine articles.  The only player we got from that team with any real prospect is Jerry Sands and the jury is out on him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

I like the idea of looking at a trade vs. spending HUGE money on free agents.  The only thing I don't like about Davis is he's another lefty...if Ortiz is back next year I'd rather see them try and snag a power bat from the right side.

What about Dan Uggla, he's been underachieving in Atl.  Is there anyway he could convert to 1b??  Might be an interesting option.  His avergae is low, but had good power, and walks quitea bit.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

.223 batting avg?  If he becomes available at cheap price, then yes but he's not worth of losing our top prospects. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Fred, your posts make no sense. You can’t credit everyone else in the front office for the salary dump and still blame Cherington for bringing in Loney. Either he made the deal or he didn’t. Also, there was no way the Sox were going to get Zach Lee in that move without having extremely compromising photos of Ned Colletti. Frankly, I thought getting Webster and De La Rosa was a massive coup for a team jettisoning about a quarter billion in underperforming future obligations and with very little SP depth above A-ball. The guy who got schooled in that trade was Colletti, far and away. Just because Colletti was stupid enough to take all our cumbersome contracts doesn’t mean he was stupid enough to completely destroy his own farm system in the process as well.

Its also a little ridiculous to assume Cherington will re-sign Loney, and then blame him for it. If he was not responsible for bringing him in, why do you think he has an obsession with him? The chances that Loney is manning 1B in Boston next season are only slightly greater than the chances that I am. And if he is there, it is only because the team decided to go into full rebuild mode and save money, in which case it won’t matter anyway. (And not necessarily a death nail. Have you seen who is playing 1B in Oakland this year? Or Baltimore? Or Milwaukee?) With regards to DeJesus, who I agree seems to play with an heir of entitlement, his best case scenario might be as part of the utility INF mix next season, and even then he is likely battling with Aviles and Ciriaco. He could very easily be non-tendered or stuck in the back end of a larger deal. Much like Loney, taking him was more of a return favor to the Dodgers, whom we really did owe a favor or two to at the time. (Although it sadly breaks up the Dodgers quartet of sons of major leaguers at shortstop.)

Ike Davis is certainly a very good idea, and while I don’t know Fred Wilpon or what his plans are, it is hard to imagine the Sox getting him without giving up Lavarnway in a good package. The Mets were desperate enough at catcher to take Shoppach, so it is hard to think Ryan wouldn’t top their list of non-pitchers. Davis is only about 6 months older than Lavarnway, and I am not as down on Saltalamacchia as most. I think this pitching staff will need some semblance of continuity with their catcher. Its one thing to shuffle shortstops every season, but the catcher is the most important position defensively and far more involved in the game, pitch to pitch. Lavarnway is also more likely to be adequate return than Saltalamacchia for reasons related to salary and control.  Really, for me it comes down to who else has to be involved.

I also like the Uggla suggestion a lot. He has never played 1B, but he certainly has plenty of experience as an infielder. Physically, he is certainly not the ideal choice for the position, being both short and right-handed. But first base is also the easiest position to play defensively, and, all comedic moments from Moneyball aside, the easiest one to learn. Most of your chances are balls thrown to you, i.e. balls other people intended you to catch. No other position outside of catcher has that advantange, and catcher has numerous other responsibilities. If Uggla (3yrs / $39mill) could be had for Lackey (3yrs / $31.5mill), it should be done yesterday. Heck, expand the deal and make it Lackey and Sweeney for Uggla and Jurrjens, who is a prime non-tender candidate. Jurrjens has been nothing recently, but was an All Star as recently as 2011 before a knee injury threw him into a tailspin. By ST, his knee injury will be nearly 2 full years behind him, and hopefully he can recapture some of his form. And really, if he makes the rotation, he is only replacing Lackey. He wouldn’t need to be a 15 game winner with a sub-3.50 ERA. Jurrjens is still only 26, although he could make up to $7mill in arbitration (which might be a necessary process to keep him if he is traded for). This solution is probably more fun speculation, as it is difficult to imagine the FO being this imaginative and risky after a very disappointing 2012.

I do expect at least one major FA signing this off-season, for two reasons. First, spending stimulates fan interest and is a public show the ownership wants to win. Second, for the first time this millennia, the Sox have a protected first round pick, so the risk is somewhat mitigated. (Imagine where the Yankees would be if they had passed on Teixeira and instead drafted the guy the Angels took with the compensation pick – Mike Trout.) I hope they avoid Hamilton, although the stars are aligned for some interest. The team has money to spend, a rare need to spend, and a desperate need for an outfielder or two. Hamilton is not only the biggest name, but there is very little this off-season for corner OF on the FA market. There is Swisher, and then the next two best options, not in order, are Delmon Young, who is not the best choice for a team with PR and likability issues, and Torii Hunter, who is the best choice for a team with PR and likability issues.

If the Sox forego the big name OF, the other big name will be Zack Greinke, who is the better target than Hamilton, though not without concerns. I expect Greinke, who presumably knows more about his own anxiety issues – which have not been apparent in years - and pitching in big markets than I do, to make a decision that is best for himself with all things considered. This is a guy who operated without an agent for years, so he probably knows how to take care of himself professionally.

Should those two avenues not happen, which is very likely, Peavy might be the last clear choice. Zero chance his option gets picked up, and there is very little else behind him that will be available. I like Haren, but expect the Angels to extend him or pick up his option, despite his mediocre season taking what was once a no-brainer option and suddenly making it merit consideration. However, they will also be losing Greinke and Ervin Santana, who did nothing to change the status of his option from no-brainer, where the obvious decision was always to decline. Barring a second straight spending spree, the Angels would not expect to compete with only 2 returning starters, so Haren is very likely back, unless they re-sign Greinke (which could happen, but as they did spend heavily one year ago, they might have to pull back a bit).

Assuming Ortiz and Ross return. an offseason that nets Davis, Peavy and Swisher would not surprise me. While many fans may have grander designs, it really wouldn’t be all that bad.  And I state that as an Anti-Swishite.

I like the Upton suggestions, but the Sox might be lucky if the asking price is as low as Bradley, Webster, Cecchini and, say, Melancon. That is a tough trigger to pull, although I will admit I would not decline it as rapidly as most. Down season or not, Upton will generate interest from a lot of teams, and that alone escalates what he is worth in a trade…

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fred, your posts make no sense. You can’t credit everyone else in the front office for the salary dump and still blame Cherington for bringing in Loney. Either he made the deal or he didn’t. Also, there was no way the Sox were going to get Zach Lee in that move without having extremely compromising photos of Ned Colletti. Frankly, I thought getting Webster and De La Rosa was a massive coup for a team jettisoning about a quarter billion in underperforming future obligations and with very little SP depth above A-ball. The guy who got schooled in that trade was Colletti, far and away. Just because Colletti was stupid enough to take all our cumbersome contracts doesn’t mean he was stupid enough to completely destroy his own farm system in the process as well.

Its also a little ridiculous to assume Cherington will re-sign Loney, and then blame him for it. If he was not responsible for bringing him in, why do you think he has an obsession with him? The chances that Loney is manning 1B in Boston next season are only slightly greater than the chances that I am. And if he is there, it is only because the team decided to go into full rebuild mode and save money, in which case it won’t matter anyway. (And not necessarily a death nail. Have you seen who is playing 1B in Oakland this year? Or Baltimore? Or Milwaukee?) With regards to DeJesus, who I agree seems to play with an heir of entitlement, his best case scenario might be as part of the utility INF mix next season, and even then he is likely battling with Aviles and Ciriaco. He could very easily be non-tendered or stuck in the back end of a larger deal. Much like Loney, taking him was more of a return favor to the Dodgers, whom we really did owe a favor or two to at the time. (Although it sadly breaks up the Dodgers quartet of sons of major leaguers at shortstop.)

Ike Davis is certainly a very good idea, and while I don’t know Fred Wilpon or what his plans are, it is hard to imagine the Sox getting him without giving up Lavarnway in a good package. The Mets were desperate enough at catcher to take Shoppach, so it is hard to think Ryan wouldn’t top their list of non-pitchers. Davis is only about 6 months older than Lavarnway, and I am not as down on Saltalamacchia as most. I think this pitching staff will need some semblance of continuity with their catcher. Its one thing to shuffle shortstops every season, but the catcher is the most important position defensively and far more involved in the game, pitch to pitch. Lavarnway is also more likely to be adequate return than Saltalamacchia for reasons related to salary and control.  Really, for me it comes down to who else has to be involved.

I also like the Uggla suggestion a lot. He has never played 1B, but he certainly has plenty of experience as an infielder. Physically, he is certainly not the ideal choice for the position, being both short and right-handed. But first base is also the easiest position to play defensively, and, all comedic moments from Moneyball aside, the easiest one to learn. Most of your chances are balls thrown to you, i.e. balls other people intended you to catch. No other position outside of catcher has that advantange, and catcher has numerous other responsibilities. If Uggla (3yrs / $39mill) could be had for Lackey (3yrs / $31.5mill), it should be done yesterday. Heck, expand the deal and make it Lackey and Sweeney for Uggla and Jurrjens, who is a prime non-tender candidate. Jurrjens has been nothing recently, but was an All Star as recently as 2011 before a knee injury threw him into a tailspin. By ST, his knee injury will be nearly 2 full years behind him, and hopefully he can recapture some of his form. And really, if he makes the rotation, he is only replacing Lackey. He wouldn’t need to be a 15 game winner with a sub-3.50 ERA. Jurrjens is still only 26, although he could make up to $7mill in arbitration (which might be a necessary process to keep him if he is traded for). This solution is probably more fun speculation, as it is difficult to imagine the FO being this imaginative and risky after a very disappointing 2012.

I do expect at least one major FA signing this off-season, for two reasons. First, spending stimulates fan interest and is a public show the ownership wants to win. Second, for the first time this millennia, the Sox have a protected first round pick, so the risk is somewhat mitigated. (Imagine where the Yankees would be if they had passed on Teixeira and instead drafted the guy the Angels took with the compensation pick – Mike Trout.) I hope they avoid Hamilton, although the stars are aligned for some interest. The team has money to spend, a rare need to spend, and a desperate need for an outfielder or two. Hamilton is not only the biggest name, but there is very little this off-season for corner OF on the FA market. There is Swisher, and then the next two best options, not in order, are Delmon Young, who is not the best choice for a team with PR and likability issues, and Torii Hunter, who is the best choice for a team with PR and likability issues.

If the Sox forego the big name OF, the other big name will be Zack Greinke, who is the better target than Hamilton, though not without concerns. I expect Greinke, who presumably knows more about his own anxiety issues – which have not been apparent in years - and pitching in big markets than I do, to make a decision that is best for himself with all things considered. This is a guy who operated without an agent for years, so he probably knows how to take care of himself professionally.

Should those two avenues not happen, which is very likely, Peavy might be the last clear choice. Zero chance his option gets picked up, and there is very little else behind him that will be available. I like Haren, but expect the Angels to extend him or pick up his option, despite his mediocre season taking what was once a no-brainer option and suddenly making it merit consideration. However, they will also be losing Greinke and Ervin Santana, who did nothing to change the status of his option from no-brainer, where the obvious decision was always to decline. Barring a second straight spending spree, the Angels would not expect to compete with only 2 returning starters, so Haren is very likely back, unless they re-sign Greinke (which could happen, but as they did spend heavily one year ago, they might have to pull back a bit).

Assuming Ortiz and Ross return. an offseason that nets Davis, Peavy and Swisher would not surprise me. While many fans may have grander designs, it really wouldn’t be all that bad.  And I state that as an Anti-Swishite.

I like the Upton suggestions, but the Sox might be lucky if the asking price is as low as Bradley, Webster, Cecchini and, say, Melancon. That is a tough trigger to pull, although I will admit I would not decline it as rapidly as most. Down season or not, Upton will generate interest from a lot of teams, and that alone escalates what he is worth in a trade…

[/QUOTE]

Some post Notin.  The part about Loneybaloney is the one that interests me.  It was Henry and Lucchino who gave the word that we were going to have a humongous salary dump.  That much we know.  What we don't know is whether they or Cherington decided on what we got back.  I'm inclined to think that was where Cherington came in and his choice of Loney and DeJesus was ridiculous.  I have to live with it but will not accept or understand if these two ex-Dodger bums are with us next season.  We need a solid power hitting first baseman.  Yes Oakland and Baltimore don't have one and they are doing fine without them but they are not the Red Sox.  We've been under a bad cloud the past few years and we need to be as strong in as many positions as possible.  The bad luck and bad breaks we've had with injuries and bad trades and bad signings make me wonder if the "old curse" in different form is back upon us.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Ike Davis? I'd rather see Mauro Gomez at first.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ike Davis? I'd rather see Mauro Gomez at first.

[/QUOTE]

Not for 500 at-bats you wouldn't.

Ike Davis did start the season with Valley Fever.  Did anyone expect him to simply shake it off and pick up as if 2011 never ended?   It ruined his season.

Davis might not be the ideal candidate, but comparisons to Gomez are ludicrous...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

Some post Notin.  The part about Loneybaloney is the one that interests me.  It was Henry and Lucchino who gave the word that we were going to have a humongous salary dump.  That much we know.  What we don't know is whether they or Cherington decided on what we got back.  I'm inclined to think that was where Cherington came in and his choice of Loney and DeJesus was ridiculous.  I have to live with it but will not accept or understand if these two ex-Dodger bums are with us next season.  We need a solid power hitting first baseman.  Yes Oakland and Baltimore don't have one and they are doing fine without them but they are not the Red Sox.  We've been under a bad cloud the past few years and we need to be as strong in as many positions as possible.  The bad luck and bad breaks we've had with injuries and bad trades and bad signings make me wonder if the "old curse" in different form is back upon us.

[/QUOTE]

We took Loney and DeJesus because the Dodgers didn't want them.  Loney was owed some cash, far more than he was worth, and since the Dodgers took all but $12mill on for themselves, why not pay for Loney for 6 weeks?  If Loney was anyone's choice, it was Colletti's.

(Ironically, the Sox tried to deal David Wells for Loney 6 years ago, when Loney was all the rage.  The Sox settled for George Kottaras instead.)

Loney is also a free agent after the season.  Doubtful he has positioned himself to earn any cash.  He might catch on as a backup somewhere, possibly even Boston.  If he does, I wouldn't worry about it.

DeJesus is in a worse spot, since the utility INF depth chart is looking deep.  He needs the Sox to deal Aviles and not carry a backup 1B, and maybe he can stay.  I think he is gone too.  I wont lose any sleep.

Sections
Shortcuts