Is it a coincidence that Red Sox pitchers lead the majors in hit batsmen?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Re: Is it a coincidence that Red Sox pitchers lead the majors in hit batsmen?

In Response to Is it a coincidence that Red Sox pitchers lead the majors in hit batsmen?:
    [QUOTE]Given the fact that a major league pitcher can throw a baseball with extreme accuracy, it kind of makes you wonder.......
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]

Somebody has to lead the league, that's 100% guaranteed.  What do you suggest is the reason is the Sox are leading the league?  Couldn't it just be that the 3.33% probability of the Sox leading the league has happened (so far) this year?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In Response to Re: Is it a coincidence that Red Sox pitchers lead the majors in hit batsmen?:
    [QUOTE]If so, it is all by pure ACCIDENT !!!!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

Not all, just mostly.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In Response to Is it a coincidence that Red Socyyx pitchers lead the majors in hit batsmen?:
    [QUOTE]Given the fact that a major league pitcher can throw a baseball with extreme accuracy, it kind of makes you wonder.......

Most can but certainly not Bard right now, 25 walks in 42 inns is terrible accuracy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Is it a coincidence that Red Sox pitchers lead the majors in hit batsmen?:
    [QUOTE]If so, it is all by pure ACCIDENT !!!!!!   The Sox do not deploy the "PURPOSE PITCH"  !!!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

Then you haven't been paying attention the last 15 yrs; they've been at or near the leaders most of the time. But why should you know what you're talking about?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Is it a coincidence that Red Sox pitchers lead the majors in hit batsmen?:

When you consider Doubront may be our most consistent pitcher at this point even though hes still raw, it doesn't make me wonder at all.  The bright side is this .....

Beckett 32
    Aceves 29
    Lester 28
    Buchholz 27
    Miller 26
    Bard 26
    Doubront 24
    Renaudo 22 - long shot to break into the staff
    Barnes 21 - our next impact pitcher

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaso#7. Show Yaso#7's posts

Any team with Aceves on their staff will be in the top tier of hit batsmen---- just ask Marlon Byrd.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it a coincidence that Red Sox pitchers lead the majors in hit batsmen? : Then you haven't been paying attention the last 15 yrs; they've been at or near the leaders most of the time. But why should you know what you're talking about?
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

And they can't blame Timmy anymore.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it a coincidence that Red Sox pitchers lead the majors in hit batsmen? : Then you haven't been paying attention the last 15 yrs; they've been at or near the leaders most of the time. But why should you know what you're talking about?

And picking up right where they left off last season.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/year/2011/sort/battersHit/type/expanded/order/true

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Wanna be right most of the time?  Just think/write/do the opposite of Mr. Bill.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Is it a coincidence that Red Sox pitchers lead the majors in hit batsmen? : When you consider Doubront may be our most consistent pitcher at this point even though hes still raw, it doesn't make me wonder at all.  The bright side is this ..... Beckett 32 Aceves 29 Lester 28 Buchholz 27 Miller 26 Bard 26 Doubront 24 Renaudo 22 - long shot to break into the staff Barnes 21 - our next impact pitcher  
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

Very good point, and very encouraging.  But please edit your OP to delete Miller's name, then I'll edit this post to erase all history referencing Steve Dalkowski...I mean Henry Miller...I mean Rick Miller...I mean Barney Miller...I mean all things Miller. 

In fact, throw out all players with medieval occupation surnames just to spite -and spike - Miller's faux potential.  Goodbye Darren Fletcher, adios Cecil Cooper, sayonara your sundry Millers, Joiners, Cartwrights, Stewarts, Marshalls, Harpers, Painters, Deans, Smiths (Dean Smith a double!), Farmers, Fishers, Hunters, Carpenters, Plummers (sic), Judges, Majors, and H00kers (ok, I'm making that last one up...but I'll still throw the H00kers out with the bathwater in this case).

I almost never give up on anyone, or anything....but in Miller's case that ship sailed - and sank with no survivors - many years ago.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it a coincidence that Red Sox pitchers lead the majors in hit batsmen? : Very good point, and very encouraging.  But please edit your OP to delete Miller's name, then I'll edit this post to erase all history referencing Steve Dalkowski...I mean Henry Miller...I mean Rick Miller...I mean Barney Miller...I mean all things Miller.  In fact, throw out all players with medieval occupation surnames just to spite -and spike - Miller's faux potential.  Goodbye Darren Fletcher, adios Cecil Cooper, sayonara your sundry Millers, Smiths, Farmers, Fishers, Hunters, Carpenters, Plummers (sic), Judges, Majors, and H00kers (ok, I'm making that last one up...but I'll still throw the H00kers out with the bathwater in this case). I almost never give up on anyone, or anything....but in Miller's case that ship sailed - and sank with no survivors - many years ago.
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

Ok Chill I didn't realize how big of a ...... fan you were :) so hows this?

Bard and you know who are both 26, have two pretty good pitches they can't get over the plate as starters but seem to have had, or are having success as relievers. 

Too much of a coincidence for me not to root for, or give up on at such an early age. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it a coincidence that Red Sox pitchers lead the majors in hit batsmen? : Ok Chill I didn't realize how big of a ...... fan you were :) so hows this? Bard and you know who are both 26, have two pretty good pitches they can't get over the plate as starters but seem to have had, or are having success as relievers.  Too much of a coincidence for me not to root for, or give up on at such an early age. 
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

Craze, Craze, my man, you've ruined a great rant with your pesky logic.  ;-)

Seriously, the difference I see among similarly aged pitchers like Miller, Buchholz and Bard...and even Lester, Doubrant and Aceves who aren't that much different in age...is that Miller seems to have a gigantic, fatal flaw whereas the the others have relatively smaller flaws that seem much more likely to be fixed.

I'm not the sort of evil, cruel sociopath that gloats when a player I don't rate (Ellsbury, Wakefield, Varitek, etc.) fails....I just think Miller should be a minor, hopeful project and not part of the list above.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

It is a coincidence!

It coincides with the fact that the Sox' opposing hitters lead the league in getting hit by pitches...

Sections
Shortcuts