Is it a given that Napoli will be a defensive liability?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxRuleTheRoost. Show SoxRuleTheRoost's posts

Is it a given that Napoli will be a defensive liability?

In 2010 when Naps had the most reps at 1st, Fan Graphs & UZR had him as an above average defender. He will only be playing first, is it hard to think he could reproduce or improve on 2010 , especially when he won't be catching?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Is it a given that Napoli will be a defensive liability?

i think people overblow defense at 1B.. i mean, if fielder, papi and other giant, lumbering players can hold their own at the position then Naps definitely can. especially if he's not bangned up from catching.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

UZR is unreliable for one season.  In Napoli's case, he has 118 starts at 1B in his career.  I don't see how you could even make a projection, as little as he's played 1st.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

UZR is unreliable for one season.  In Napoli's case, he has 118 starts at 1B in his career.  I don't see how you could even make a projection, as little as he's played 1st.

what about projecting his offense off a 72 AB sample size at Fenway?

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes. He is a given negative on defense no matter where he plays... even at DH! (LOL)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Not catching will help as far as injury is concerned. However nothing can be predicted for his D at first. Just remember Youk at first great D and no injuries put back at third D was OK and multiple injuries.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Yes. He is a given negative on defense no matter where he plays... even at DH! (LOL)

yeah, he just doesn't have much range going to the left of the bat rack :-)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Watched his video chat with Silva, and he almost had me convinced that he will work on 1B and improve his defense there, until they showed him playing catch and missing a soft toss from Lackey.  Ouch!!!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

i think people overblow defense at 1B.. i mean, if fielder, papi and other giant, lumbering players can hold their own at the position then Naps definitely can. especially if he's not bangned up from catching.

And I think people underestimate the value of good defense at 1b.  This guy is involved in every ground ball hit to infielders and the ability to stretch and pick balls out of the dirt can make a difference between several outs and errors over the run of a season. 

The fact that Fielder and Papi can hold down the spot at first base says more about their offense than their defense. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

S5,

Many people certainly do underestimate the value of having a good first baseman.  Gonzalez was exceptional defensively at first base and Napoli is not going to be as good.

But, that does not mean that Napoli is going to be a complete liability either.  Not catching will give him much more time to work on improving at first base. 

He is a professional player and certainly knows that his next contract is going to be based on his defensive improvement this year at first base (catching is over, and he knows it) as much as his hitting and his injured hip(s).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

You have to think having catching skills and experience may translate well to first base, when it comes to catching or blocking bad throws.  His range will very likely be suspect, but with Pedey on the right side that may matter less.  Hopefully he can be servicable at 1B and earn his pay with the bat.  When talking defensive liability, Gomes name is the only one that comes to mind on this roster.  OK, maybe Salty too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to phxvlsoxfan's comment:

You have to think having catching skills and experience may translate well to first base, when it comes to catching or blocking bad throws.  His range will very likely be suspect, but with Pedey on the right side that may matter less.  Hopefully he can be servicable at 1B and earn his pay with the bat.  When talking defensive liability, Gomes name is the only one that comes to mind on this roster.  OK, maybe Salty too.

drew is a question mark defensively, i'm hoping to hear from someone who's at ST to give us some info on how he is moving. I think he will end up being about average-slightly above average defensively (and that's best case scenario IMO).

i don't really consider Salty a defensive liability. he has done a lot of work behind the plate and has improved immensely.

Gomes defensive prowess (or lack thereof) is minimized playing in LF so i don't worry about him much.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I think he will be fine.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Defense does matter a lot at 1b. Guys like WMB are going to throw a few errant balls in the dirt and Naps will have to be able to make some tough scoops. He needs to know where to be with certain cut-offs etc..

All these things are very important for 1b defense. I too am hoping that some of his catching skills will translate to 1b.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I would disregard that.  I would consider park effects in general, say Beltre going from Seattle to Boston, but 72 ABs is maybe 6 weeks of a season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to HelloItsMeAgain1's comment:

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

Nah, you just use the same hit tracker that showed us how adrian gonzalez was going to hit 50 HR a year playing home games in fenway.

Not sure why you'd have believed that.  Fenway doesn't help lefties hit HRs.  this isn't YS.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to S5's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

And I think people underestimate the value of good defense at 1b.  This guy is involved in every ground ball hit to infielders and the ability to stretch and pick balls out of the dirt can make a difference between several outs and errors over the run of a season. 

The fact that Fielder and Papi can hold down the spot at first base says more about their offense than their defense. 

I agree, the importance of 1B fielding is often overlooked. Someone once posted a list of World Series winning 1Bmen, and one thing really jumped out at the reader: how many were excellent fielders (at least at some part of their career).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Middlebrooks has one of the most inconsistent arms to 1B I have ever seen - he rarely makes a clean, straight throw to first (its either low, high, and even often off the bag/in the dirt) That is the only thing that truly scares me about him...I think his plate discipline will obviously get better and he will adjust to pitching adjustments in his sophomore year - but he need to find that center when throwing/extending his arm....its not yet a case of Salty yips but i hope the sox coaches nip it in the bud...

22. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts