Is it just me or are Iglesias, Gomes and Napoli all extremely pull happy?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Is it just me or are Iglesias, Gomes and Napoli all extremely pull happy?

At least Iglesias can try to go up the middle can't he. Come on!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Is it just me or are Iglesias, Gomes and Napoli all extremely pull happy?

No. Its not you. They are, and they always have been.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Kind of a strange thread, especially when Iglesias and Gomes had 5 hits and a walk today.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Pull my finger.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Heh they did great today and I'm all over that on the other threads. I'm just noticing that Iglesias tries to pull everything still. There was a reason they got Drew. He's a different player if he learns to take the ball the other way more or up the middle. He actually needs development.

I think we win more games with him as SS already though, but not many compared to drew. I think they do send him down when Drew comes back. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Gomes is going to be a pull always guy right. A right handed Travis Hafner. But even Ortiz became a better hitter when he learned to take the ball opposite field some. Just saying, each of those guys have room for improvement. A lot of room.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

Pull happy? Perhaps.

One thing is for sure...unlike many on this team the last couple seasons they certainly seem just plain old happy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Kind of a strange thread, especially when Iglesias and Gomes had 5 hits and a walk today.

Amen....and its one freakin game..... jeez...already raggin on guys in the typical Boston fan manner and its the first game of the season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Gomes is going to be a pull always guy right. A right handed Travis Hafner. But even Ortiz became a better hitter when he learned to take the ball opposite field some. Just saying, each of those guys have room for improvement. A lot of room.

So the Cs win and look really good and you want to be negative? whats up with that>

?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

It is true that Gomes is a pull hitter. He was when he was in Cincy, and Napoli pulls the ball more often than not. That doesnt mean they cant be effective, its just who they are--especially Gomes. As you saw today, Gomes is high energy run through a brick wall kind of guy. Sometimes this gets him in trouble, and sometimes it makes him the hero. You just never know with him. But he'll be fun to watch, and I think most Sox fans will like his all in playing style.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Boom, ahead in the count and with the right pitch, EVERY hitter is a pull hitter. All three guys got plenty of up-the-middle or right-field hits during spring training, especially down in counts.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

But we didn't send down Ortiz to improve his swing. He became a better Major League hitter while he was facing Major League pitching. Kinda makes sense. Sure there is always room for improvement, but you can say that about most veterans w/ the same hole in their bat since their rookie year. Iglesias had a great ST, he's hitting well & seems to have found some offensive momentum. I think sending down wld ruin that momentum. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

If you were not happy with today's game , you probably never will be. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

If you were not happy with today's game , you probably never will be. 

right. great game from top to bottom. sure you can nitpick and find flaws (Lester in the 4th. parts of millers outing) but overall, a GREAT game to start baseball again

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Iggy really tagged the ball all day...

;)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

;)

the bunt was the best hit of the day (the first hit deep in the hole was pretty good too. The last hit.... was a gift IMO). great heads up bunt. He is a lot faster than people make him out to be. he obviously has quickness but not many have talked about his speed.. he has some wheels.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

They need to find a way to trade Drew. Will have to eat some of his contract to do it. They could DFA Carp , but another move would still be needed when Ortiz returns. The problem with having a twelve man pitching staff is that you only have three bench players ( plus a backup catcher ). So , you need some versatility. I don't see where Drew fits in. The best bench would then be Gomes , Ciriaco and Nava, with Ross as the backup catcher. Sadly , they will probably put Drew at short , and send Iglesias to Pawtucket.  That would be a mistake , but I am afraid that is what will happen. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

;)

The legend grows...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

You guys completely misinterpreted my perspective with this. I guess I didn't word it as well as I should have. No doubt that Gomes and Napoli are going to be extremely pull happy and they are sluggers who are going to hit more HR with that approach and probably overall that is maybe their best option considering their overall game. What I should have said is that we are almost definitely looking at low BA type guys though since they seem to be more easily defended against. They are going to be very susceptable to that slider on the outside corner ...etc. These are guys who are not going to hit for average, particularly Napoli.

BTW, I did notice that Gomes did take a ball to RF but it didn't necessarily look intentional.

Iglesias, on the other hand, seems pull happy inappropriately. He needs to learn to take the ball to RF to be succesful as a hitter. MY FEELING IS THE REDSOX THOUGHT IGLESIAS NEEDED MORE HITTING DEVELOPMENT AND THAT IS WHY HE HAS WAS SLATED FOR THE MINORS OVER THE WINTER. I think they wanted to start his arbitration clock later as they thought they could improve him even more if he learned to take the ball up the middle more and to RF.

ERGO DREW. AND EVEN THOUGH HE COULD HELP US WIN MORE RIGHT NOW, THEY THOUGHT THEY COULD TAKE HIM UP ANOTHER NOTCH WITH MORE TIME IN THE MINORS. THEY KNOW WHAT THEY'VE GOT. THEY JUST WANTED TO MAKE HIM BETTER.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I absolutely loved yesterday's game. It wasn't intended as being negative. It was more constructive criticism and insight into why their game is what it is, and what we can realistically expect. Napoli is almost definitely going to hit for a low average and Iglesias still is not going to hit all that well with this approach. That doesn't mean they are horrible players. It means they could still improve some with a little work. Particularly Iglesias. If he learns to take the ball the other way he could become a solid hitter for a SS.

I think we will see Napoli slotted in the 5th or 6th slot pretty soon. Maybe even 7th.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I absolutely loved yesterday's game. It wasn't intended as being negative. It was more constructive criticism and insight into why their game is what it is, and what we can realistically expect. Napoli is almost definitely going to hit for a low average and Iglesias still is not going to hit all that well with this approach. That doesn't mean they are horrible players. It means they could still improve some with a little work. Particularly Iglesias. If he learns to take the ball the other way he could become a solid hitter for a SS.

I think we will see Napoli slotted in the 5th or 6th slot pretty soon. Maybe even 7th.

Could be they were all just a little over-amped.

It being Opening Day and all.