Is it just me?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Re: Is it just me?

You have games like this, you move on. Cant worry about it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

At least in a loss like this, you haven't wasted the efforts of your better relievers.  A blown lead late in the game, or a close, and especially an extra innings game, can wreak havoc on a bullpen.  It could set a team back for the next game or even a few.  For losses like this, you move on and are ready with your A Team fresh for the next game.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Sometimes a pitcher has to be a sacrificial lamb for the team....it's not a pleasant feeling..LOL

140 pitches?  I'm not really that adverse to it.  Perhaps not 140, but certainly more than the rediculous 100 pitch rule.  What ever happened to pitchers consistently throwing 120-125 pitches or so?

I think todays pitchers are unnecessarily babied.

Then again, look at the recent increase in hard-throwing pitchers.  Every team seems to have a bunch of guys throwing 95-99 or even higher.  Maybe it's related, maybe it's not.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Who feels when your starting pitcher gives up 11 hits and a BB in less than 4 innings with no K's we propably shouldn't be pressing our luck being down just two?  Sure we don't want to tax the pen but  now we probably handed Texas the game.

If we lose it's strictly on his ones on Farrell this time.

Really? If you have to blow threw 7 innings of bullpen, what will the effects be future games? The issue would be if it happens a few more times, you remove him from rotation.

Exactly.

Sometimes it is simply unwise to weaken the team for the next game or two chasing just one win. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

I've never said "pitching was meaningless". However, you have said that "we only go as far as our pitching will takes us".

Defense had more to do with quality pitching than quality pitching has to do with defense. Few teams have more than a couple of quality starters. The best value from pitching will be realized by having a top defensive catcher, SS, 2B and OF. The Red Sox are ignoring that factor.

The Red Sox are quite weak, in the middle, unless Middlebrooks turns it around soon enough to provide the pop and power that this team is missing.

While defense is important. It will not make mediocre pitching stellar.  Houston has outstanding defense up the middle, and they are helping that staff somewhat, but not to the point where anyone there looks like a viable starter to carry a team even for shrot stretches.

A great shortstop sill only handles about 4 to 6 chances per game, and a sizable chunk are routine plays makable by nearly every SS in the league, even Yuniesky Betancourt.  A second baseman and a CF even fewer chances.  Catcher is far and away the most influential defensive position, and for a variety of reasons that extend beyond signal calling and pitch framing...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

When a pitcher is around 100 pitches and he is dominating the opposition I see zero reason to bring in a cold arm and give the other team a chance to face a pitcher they can hot off. When a pitcher is on then you leave him in the game right through the 8th inning (unless you have such a lead that dictates otherwise).

I would think it better my starters normally thrown 115 a start, up to 125 if required. 

Sure, that's part of the calculation.  SPs that are throwing lights-out figure to out-pitch the #3 RP.  But for about 80-90% of the starts, that won't be the case.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Beyond Buch and Lester, the Red Sox starting pitching is weak.

Lucky you feel pitching is meaningless.

Who posted that our 3-4-5 are weak?  They are 6-4 with an ERA of ~ 3.95.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Glad I never had a manger like you!

Every manager is like me.  The fact that you don't know that is meaningless to me.

Also meaningless is the rest of the blah, blah, blah.

Doubront gave up one run in three innings.  Show me all the times this year that a manager has pulled an SP after 3 innings and 1 run.

I'll wait for the results.

Still looking for the all the times a manager has taken out an SP that allowed 1 run in 3 innings.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Aceves had a couple of outings like last night and now he's gone. Not saying that will happen to Doubront but with only 2 runs on the board and it being early still you gotta stay with him. Dempster was shaky and having control issues but Farrell stuck with him and it worked out. If it were the playoffs you might manage differently, but it's early in the season and you've gotta identify who your starters are and have some confidence in them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Glad I never had a manger like you!

Every manager is like me.  The fact that you don't know that is meaningless to me.

Also meaningless is the rest of the blah, blah, blah.

Doubront gave up one run in three innings.  Show me all the times this year that a manager has pulled an SP after 3 innings and 1 run.

I'll wait for the results.

Ok, all points well taken guys but 11 hits, 2runs and a BB with no K's is a little different than a guy like Dempster that gives up a couple runs early with just a few hits, 5 or 6k'S and a BB or two.  Doub was getting hammered and was lucky to only give up two runs after 11 hits.  Francona used to allow Wake to do the same thing Farrell did with Doub and it killed us every time.  Not only did it cost us another 4 or 5 runs but also deflates an offense who are now down by 7 runs instead of two.

It was obvious things were only going to get worse, especially with our only starter who struggles to go five innings.  Maybe a guy like Miller who has started may have got the job done, or not, but we had options that may have kept us in the game. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I've never said "pitching was meaningless". However, you have said that "we only go as far as our pitching will takes us".

For the past 5+ years, your suggestions for our staff have been laughable. Guthrie was the one SP you suggested offering more than $1-2M for. Pitching is clearly at the way bottom of your priority list.

Defense had more to do with quality pitching than quality pitching has to do with defense. Few teams have more than a couple of quality starters. The best value from pitching will be realized by having a top defensive catcher, SS, 2B and OF. The Red Sox are ignoring that factor.

I wish Iggy was at SS and JBJ in CF.

We did strengthen RF defense this winter, but we took a step back at 1B.

The Red Sox are quite weak, in the middle, unless Middlebrooks turns it around soon enough to provide the pop and power that this team is missing.

Our offense is better than you think, but I do think we have missed that big bat in the middle for a long time. For now, we need to pray Napoli and Papi stay healthy and Middlebrooks comes around. The bottom of the line-up may do better than recent years, and we should end up in the top 5- 10 road offensive teams in MLB.

Taking away the Fenway influence and adjusting accordingly, where do you think the Sox offense places out of the 30 MLB teams?

You may not like Gomes and Nava, but if they do a strict platoon in LF, they may end up with the best OBP on the team.

You may not like Drew, but he should be a plus offensive player when compared to the MLB SS norm. Yes, I'd rather have Iggy, but Drew will help the bottom of the order.

You may not like Salty and Ross, but together, they should place in the top 15 in catcher OPS, so we should not be brought down at the catcher position on offense.

You may not like Ellsbury and Shane, and their offense is questionable this year for sure, but it's not a stretch to think they will hold their own out there in the OF.

You may not like Papi anymore, but between him and the Lf'er not playing, our DH position should be tops in MLB in nearly all offensive categories.

Pedey and Middlebrooks and Napoli. Plus, plus, plus on offense.

Yes, our offense could be better, but even if you take away the fenway factor, our offense is not a negative. So far, we seem to be spreading out the runs better, and have a more balanced offensive approach than recent years speed, top to bottom balance, lefty-righty balance, etc...