Is It Nearing The Time to Swap Webster for Doubront?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Is It Nearing The Time to Swap Webster for Doubront?

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Even Farrell is concerned. His fastball was mainly at 88-89. That's why he can't put guys away. And who would you rather have starting? A guy who throws 93-95 or a guy who throws 88-89?

Are those the only criteria you use?  DLR throws harder than both, so start him.

A drop in velocity will make the nice curve he has less effective, along with his other secondary pitches. He could also have a shoulder issue (like he had in ST), so is it cause for a little concern right now. But until they check him out and confirm either way, nobody should go too overboard with one bad start.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Some of you guys are a broken record regarding Doubront. Over and over. The guy has one bad start and then the rampaging hoards come out. 

It's sad really.

It's almost unfathomable sometimes.

Before yesterday-

• 3-0
    • The RS were 4-0 in 4 starts
    • His ERA was 4.24.

He has one bad game, in possibly the best hitting venue in the league, and people want to get rid of him.

If you only look at wins (a team stat) and ERA, then you have a good point, but I don't see many good starts here (BTW, I am not for removing Doub from the rotation just yet)...

IP   H  BB

5.0  9  0  (6 run support)

5.0  4  4  (7)

6.2  3  5  (9)

6.2  4  4  (8)

3.2  12  1  (0)

We should be 4-0 scoring 6 or more runs.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

30-0, 0.00 era, 9 innings a start, I will take no less from anyone of my starting 5!!!

Buritto, 

I guess 29-1 would be considered an off year !! Damm it, you've got high expectations. 

Hetch

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

With Doubront, I question his make-up, you gotta wonder about a guy who shows up out of shape, and more than once.  While he has good stuff (when his fastball is fast), he has a poor WHIP, and that normally catches up with you, pitching with guys on base so much.  Personally, I'd rather see Webster pitching in the rotation than Doubront.   Let Doubront work out his issues at triple A.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I like doubie, but there was something wrong last night....hopefully just a 

tired arm but don't be Surprised if they don't send him for a checkup and 

MRI. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

With his fastball down I wonder if they DL him and bring someone up for a couple starts.  Now I personally want to see Webster in the rotation or at least hope for it soon but I can't help but think a few other guys may get a look for a start or two.  I'm talking about Doyle or Wright.  They are depth options and don't have a place on the long term plan (I'm assuming). But they are serious options for a start or two.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Webster will get his chance somehow this year,  AND Doubront will get a longer look.

They will both be important, especially if there's an injury.

Exactly.

As I said in another thread, pitching depth disappears quickly.  The Dodgers had an overload in March with 8 SPs fighting for 5 spots.   They foolishly traded one away.  And before April even ended, they were dipping into the AAA roster for starters Stephen Fife and Matt Magill.   As today stands, they have 4 SPs on their roster and 5 SPs on the DL.

I would think they really wish they had held on to Webster and sent back anyone else right about now...

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to teddybaseball009's comment:

I suggested trading Felix some time ago sensing he was our weak link in the rotation. Of course, nothing happened and now it is too late. If Dead Arms are a reason to DL then that is what must occur. I think Farrell is to blame for this, but that is another discussion. DL for 15 days and bring Webster back. After 15 days Felix should throw some bullpen sessions to see if velocity and command have improved with rest; if not, expand DL to 60 and keep Webster in the mix or if he fails look for another starter not named Aceres (sp) and try to get a prospect for Felix. I personally hope that after a couple of weeks rest he will get his command and velocity back. It must be said, that he is a five inning pitcher at best so to keep him is to accept he will use up the pen every start.

How is Farrell possibly to blame for this kids performance? seriously, Id love to hear your view on that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

With Doubront, I question his make-up, you gotta wonder about a guy who shows up out of shape, and more than once.  While he has good stuff (when his fastball his fast), he has a poor WHIP, and that normally catches up with you, pitching with guys on base so much.  Personally, I'd rather see Webster pitching in the rotation than Doubront.   Let Doubront work out his issues at triple A.

Doubront has no options left and cannot be sent to AAA without clearing waivers first, which he would never do.  If Sandy Rosario and Casper Wells cannot clear waivers, the chances that Doubront gets claimed would exceed 100% if such a thing was possible...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

In response to notin's comment:

With Doubront, I question his make-up, you gotta wonder about a guy who shows up out of shape, and more than once.  While he has good stuff (when his fastball his fast), he has a poor WHIP, and that normally catches up with you, pitching with guys on base so much.  Personally, I'd rather see Webster pitching in the rotation than Doubront.   Let Doubront work out his issues at triple A.

Doubront has no options left and cannot be sent to AAA without clearing waivers first, which he would never do.  If Sandy Rosario and Casper Wells cannot clear waivers, the chances that Doubront gets claimed would exceed 100% if such a thing was possible...

Yeah, Toronto would grab him, teach him how to steal signs from the outfield for them on off-days. Plus maybe have him learn a spitball ?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to jimedfred's comment:

Yeah, Toronto would grab him, teach him how to steal signs from the outfield for them on off-days. Plus maybe have him learn a spitball ?

Toronto has been claiming everyone.

I think they even claimed me off waivers back in January. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

MRI. 

Prior to last night's game in 20.1 innings pitched Doubront had allowed 12 walks and 20 hits. He has been extremely lucky to have had a reasonable ERA (4.24) given those numbers. Last night was a little out of the ordinary for him in that he walked just one and gave up 12 hits, but its not totally unexpected. His PC is always high. I don't think anything is wrong with him; I think he is just not very good. Maybe he will eventually become good, but right now, he stinks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Oh okay, didn't realize he was out of options; of course, he wouldn't clear waivers.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

MRI. 

Prior to last night's game in 20.1 innings pitched Doubront had allowed 12 walks and 20 hits. He has been extremely lucky to have had a reasonable ERA (4.24) given those numbers. Last night was a little out of the ordinary for him in that he walked just one and gave up 12 hits, but its not totally unexpected. His PC is always high. I don't think anything is wrong with him; I think he is just not very good. Maybe he will eventually become good, but right now, he stinks.

Velocity was way down last night too PG. Might be cause for some concern.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Doubie has had trouble with 2 things it seems:

1) Keeping his pitch count downs

2) Staying on the field and knowing proper conditioning.

Both of these things are killers in terms of velocity and your 'stuff'.  I really hope he can get back on track.  When he is on he reminds me a lot of Lester when he first came up.  Lester threw pretty hard but he had problems keeping his pitch count down.  This may be a good time for Lester to maybe take him under his wing a bit....if he hasn't already.

I think the right thing to do is to give him a few more starts to have him figure it out.  He has had a couple of solid outings so who knows?  We are in a good position with Webster waiting in the wings and a few other solid options not too far off as well.  The biggest issue to me however is how Doubie starts tend to tax the BP.  These guys are going to be playing A LOT this year and need a few starts here and there going into the 7th/8th inning.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

MRI. 

It's actually 20 and 13 in 23.1, which is a Whip of a little over 1.4, which is borderline high.  His OPSa was .671, which is better than average.  His stats are so close to normal, given the sample size, there is no way to draw any conclusions.  If he is hurt, then certainly DL him.  But otherwise, he'll continue to pitch.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

MRI. 

It's actually 20 and 13 in 23.1, which is a Whip of a little over 1.4, which is borderline high.  His OPSa was .671, which is better than average.  His stats are so close to normal, given the sample size, there is no way to draw any conclusions.  If he is hurt, then certainly DL him.  But otherwise, he'll continue to pitch.

Yes, its a small sample size. He will get more chances, but unless he improves then frankly, we have better options.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Yes, its a small sample size. He will get more chances, but unless he improves then frankly, we have better options.

There is almost no chance we'll get rid of him.  No one gets rid of a young pitcher with a 14-11 over his last 34 starts, with a 198/85 K/W in 188 IPs.  Certainly he won't be allowed to pitch if he gets shelled every start, but nothing he has done so far indicates he will continued to get shelled.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

There is almost no chance we'll get rid of him.  No one gets rid of a young pitcher with a 14-11 over his last 34 starts, with a 198/85 K/W in 188 IPs.  Certainly he won't be allowed to pitch if he gets shelled every start, but nothing he has done so far indicates he will continued to get shelled.

Nope. He isn't going to leave the Red Sox. The good news is that if he does not improve then we have other options that may prove to work out better than him-Morales and Webster come to mind. He can be put on the DL and buried in the minor leagues until he is "healthy" enough to return. This is probably his last year here if he cannot prove himself, and to date, he has not done so-starting with showing up at ST out of shape.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Nope. He isn't going to leave the Red Sox. The good news is that if he does not improve then we have other options that may prove to work out better than him-Morales and Webster come to mind. He can be put on the DL and buried in the minor leagues until he is "healthy" enough to return. This is probably his last year here if he cannot prove himself, and to date, he has not done so-starting with showing up at ST out of shape.

I'm always displeased when athletes show up in less than optimum shape, but he still hasn't done anything worth getting rid of him.  It'll depend to some degree on how he does, and how the trade market shakes out.  But if you can be at .500 with an ERA of < 5.00, at minimum wage, you are unlikely to go anywhere.  You'd be better off hoping for a good year out of Lackey and then moving him.

Sections
Shortcuts