Is It Nearing The Time to Swap Webster for Doubront?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: Is It Nearing The Time to Swap Webster for Doubront?

At the risk of over-reacting after one bad start when we scored no runs (even Webster's line would have been good for an L last night) I am very concerned about Doubront's drop in velocity.  Not just yesterday - his last 3 starts ... http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.aspx?playerid=1478&position=P&pitch=FA

Is it related to his conditioning (or lack thereof) or is there something wrong with him?  It's too big a drop to be a slump or a coincidence.

Again, you don't want to over-react, but it's not like he was Pedro Martinez last year - if he's dropped off from a year ago, we have not just Webster, but several potentially better options - Aceves, Morales will be back from the DL shortly, with Breslow coming back shortly, we could move Tazawa into the rotation.  We also have a couple of guys in Workman and Ranaudo who could make the case that they need to move up to the next level, so maybe now is a good time to set several wheels in motion.

Doubront just doesn't feel like a guy who is going to be either instrumental to this year's success, or a part of the long-term plans.  It seems like there are just too many better options on their way up.  But he's young enough and has enough team control to be attractive to other teams - maybe we could package Doubront & Aceves and get a legitimate prospect in return.  Teheran from the Braves or Puig from the Dodgers who have to win, and have short-term rotation issues.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

At the risk of over-reacting after one bad start when we scored no runs (even Webster's line would have been good for an L last night) I am very concerned about Doubront's drop in velocity.  Not just yesterday - his last 3 starts ... http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.aspx?playerid=1478&position=P&pitch=FA

Is it related to his conditioning (or lack thereof) or is there something wrong with him?  It's too big a drop to be a slump or a coincidence.

Again, you don't want to over-react, but it's not like he was Pedro Martinez last year - if he's dropped off from a year ago, we have not just Webster, but several potentially better options - Aceves, Morales will be back from the DL shortly, with Breslow coming back shortly, we could move Tazawa into the rotation.  We also have a couple of guys in Workman and Ranaudo who could make the case that they need to move up to the next level, so maybe now is a good time to set several wheels in motion.

Doubront just doesn't feel like a guy who is going to be either instrumental to this year's success, or a part of the long-term plans.  It seems like there are just too many better options on their way up.  But he's young enough and has enough team control to be attractive to other teams - maybe we could package Doubront & Aceves and get a legitimate prospect in return.  Teheran from the Braves or Puig from the Dodgers who have to win, and have short-term rotation issues.

Both Farrell and Doubront say theres no injury, which makes be believe it has to be directly related to his offseason conditioning, or lack there of.

Farrell says his arm speed isnt as fast and because of that hes not getting the velocity on FB and the snap he needs on breaking balls.

http://sulia.com/channel/boston-red-sox/f/66474e7d-51ba-475f-9003-f270d202cbd5/?source=twitter&repost=360

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Doubront was never likely to give us 33 starts and 220 IP, so maybe he should get a rest right now via the 15 day DL. Rest the arm and see what happens in a couple weeks as he rehabs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Doubront was never likely to give us 33 starts and 220 IP, so maybe he should get a rest right now via the 15 day DL. Rest the arm and see what happens in a couple weeks as he rehabs.

I think that would be wise so he doesnt cause any damage to himself and the Sox record.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, and just because an injury has not been identified, does not mean something is not wrong.  A rest should not hurt even if he is Okay healthwise.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Some of you guys are a broken record regarding Doubront. Over and over. The guy has one bad start and then the rampaging hoards come out. 

It's sad really.

It's almost unfathomable sometimes.

Before yesterday-

• 3-0
    • The RS were 4-0 in 4 starts
    • His ERA was 4.24.

He has one bad game, in possibly the best hitting venue in the league, and people want to get rid of him.

When you say "people" do you mean there are more than one ADG?  Before the year is over he willl have asked for the designation for assignment of 9/10 the team.

He did that after openning day last year. He is being patient this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

He had a bad outing so now it's time to replace him. Can you say knee-jerk reaction.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

He had a bad outing so now it's time to replace him. Can you say knee-jerk reaction.

He has not really had any good starts in his first 5 tries. His velocity went down bigtime, so maybe something is wrong.

I'm not for replacing Doubront just yet, and certainly not over one bad game, but resting him for 15-20 days (on a DL stint + rehab) would not hurt anything.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Bad arm and weak control = starting liability.  Back to Pawtucket.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

As moon has stated, please watch the games. His velocity is down 3 MPH, and will never give you 7IP. He's a 5-6 inning pitcher.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Max...Pawtuck is out, Doubront is out of options.... Big club, D.L. or d.F.a.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jimedfred's comment:

Max...Pawtuck is out, Doubront is out of options.... Big club, D.L. or d.F.a.

Pawtuck is in.  Phantom DL and rehab assignment.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Webster,Ranaudo and Matt Barnes are all future pitchers in the Boston rotation, and you might say the second tier would include RDLR, Britton and Workman! The Sox have pitching and if Doubrant could be spun for say Brian McCann, then you you might see a Webster sooner rather than later.

As much as RS could use a C, don't think I would be willing to give up Doubront  to get it. Never in favor of trading a starting pitcher. Last time we did that it cost us B.Arroyo, when we thought we had too much starting pitching, and Willy Mo Pena has done what in this league? 25 yr old LH w/ good stuff, hopefully needs to mature a little bit and be able to pound the strike zone w/ that stuff on a consistent basis. Pretty sure Doubie has no options left which is a shame because would love to swap him w/ Webster in the rotation at this point and let him work out his control issues @ AAA. Webster has proven he's just about ready.

As for McCann would not go there was hurt at end of last yr as well as beginning of this yr, must prove he's healthy and can catch everyday before looking to acquire, his replacement Gattis has done a nice job, maybe get him cheap?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

Webster,Ranaudo and Matt Barnes are all future pitchers in the Boston rotation, and you might say the second tier would include RDLR, Britton and Workman! The Sox have pitching and if Doubrant could be spun for say Brian McCann, then you you might see a Webster sooner rather than later.

As much as RS could use a C, don't think I would be willing to give up Doubront  to get it. Never in favor of trading a starting pitcher. Last time we did that it cost us B.Arroyo, when we thought we had too much starting pitching, and Willy Mo Pena has done what in this league? 25 yr old LH w/ good stuff, hopefully needs to mature a little bit and be able to pound the strike zone w/ that stuff on a consistent basis. Pretty sure Doubie has no options left which is a shame because would love to swap him w/ Webster in the rotation at this point and let him work out his control issues @ AAA. Webster has proven he's just about ready.

As for McCann would not go there was hurt at end of last yr as well as beginning of this yr, must prove he's healthy and can catch everyday before looking to acquire, his replacement Gattis has done a nice job, maybe get him cheap?

McCann is a free agent at the end of the year, so I wouldnt pay through the nose, but he would be an awesome get.  I would like to see Lava or Ross get a shot at #1 C first though. 

Braves dont really need pitching though.  Cechhini and Brentz makes more sense to me. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I love Webster as much as the next guy, but I dont see anything wrong with waiting 3 more Pawtucket starts to call him up.  If Doubront doesnt turn it around in the next 3 (or gets absolutely shelled again in the next one), then phantom DL/call up.

But remember: we can move Doubront to the bullpen and call Webster up at any time.  However, once we do this, it will be very hard to undo (have to restretch Doubront out, which will be especially hard because he is out of options).

I think Doubront needs 1-3 more starts (depending on exactly how bad they are) before we do something that is hard to undo.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Bringing back my thread. Thank you John Farrell for listening.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

In response to garyhow's comment:

McCann is a free agent at the end of the year, so I wouldnt pay through the nose, but he would be an awesome get.  I would like to see Lava or Ross get a shot at #1 C first though. 

Braves dont really need pitching though.  Cechhini and Brentz makes more sense to me. 

If you would give Cecchihi and Brentz for McCann, whos returning from shoulder surgery for less tha a year, I question your armchair GM skills.

But if you like him that much, make me a trade offer in the fantasy league. I have him on the trading block...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I love Webster as much as the next guy, but I dont see anything wrong with waiting 3 more Pawtucket starts to call him up.  If Doubront doesnt turn it around in the next 3 (or gets absolutely shelled again in the next one), then phantom DL/call up.

But remember: we can move Doubront to the bullpen and call Webster up at any time.  However, once we do this, it will be very hard to undo (have to restretch Doubront out, which will be especially hard because he is out of options).

I think Doubront needs 1-3 more starts (depending on exactly how bad they are) before we do something that is hard to undo.

Doubie will make his next start on the road trip per Farrell...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

As per Farrell. If Webster has a good start tomorrow, do you take him out in favor of Doubront? I don't think so.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

As per Farrell. If Webster has a good start tomorrow, do you take him out in favor of Doubront? I don't think so.

They aren't going to give up on Doobie just yet. If he continues his present course he will be out of a job by July.

Sections
Shortcuts