Is it okay to root for them to lose?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Is it okay to root for them to lose?

yes, what's best for the team is to lose on purpose...turn in the pin.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In Response to Re: Is it okay to root for them to lose?:
    [QUOTE]yes, what's best for the team is to lose on purpose...turn in the pin.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Its what some of the Olympic teams did. I am not saying its ethical; its not. But they realized that sometimes losing is a better strategy than winning. Sometimes its better for the Red Sox to lose too, if the long term health of the franchise would likely be improved as a result. I do not agree with intentionally losing games. They should play it the right way.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

yes, the badminton players did that as a strategic way of not having to face the top seeds...Under those circumstances, it's really different. They aren't jockeying for new talent, they are jockeying for survival in the Olympics. I actually understood it completely, but it was unethical and in it's own small way it was a complete insubordination of the players involved. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]yes, the badminton players did that as a strategic way of not having to face the top seeds...Under those circumstances, it's really different. They aren't jockeying for new talent, they are jockeying for survival in the Olympics. I actually understood it completely, but it was unethical and in it's own small way it was a complete insubordination of the players involved. 
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Yes, playing to lose is unethical. I don't think that is ever right. That said, there are times when a team is better off losing games than winning games, despite their best efforts. Obtaining a top draft pick is one such instance. I believe that there are also times that a team has to sink very low before they can begin to rise again because it requires such a large stimulus before everyone is forced to do what needs to be done. Does this mean fans can prefer losing under certain circumstances? I think so-for the long term good. Delayed gratification and all.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Lets look at this objectively. Lets assume that you have no vested interest in the Red Sox but are hired as a consultant to make a decision about whether its better at this point to lose games or win them, given the current situation for the team. You know all the facts-what a mess they are in; what kind of long term contracts they have; how far behind they are for a playoff position. You are totally unemotional about it and are asked to choose which is better-objectively-for the team at this point: winning, or losing games. 
    When emotion gets into the equation we lose our objectivity, so while its tempting to hope that the team wins, always, its not always the right outcome in terms of long term strategy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

Pumpsie could be fishing for perch off the dock at Lake Winnepausakee but he prefers to be here baiting other fish. His record over the last decade is that he hates everything about the Red Sox.  He is in God's country right now, sunset, solitude, fresh air, and peace, but yet he prefers to annoy Red sox fans from his lawnchair on the dock. Very similar to Andrewmitch, MrYazz, Babe, and other BDC trolls. Yet they are all enabled by J-Bay / Examiner.  Go figure, the site is beingg dominated by Yankee imposters and there is nothing that we can do about it.My advice is to wake up and see who is a phony.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]Pumpsie could be fishing for perch off the dock at Lake Winnepausakee but he prefers to be here baiting other fish. His record over the last decade is that he hates everything about the Red Sox.  He is in God's country right now, sunset, solitude, fresh air, and peace, but yet he prefers to annoy Red sox fans from his lawnchair on the dock. Very similar to Andrewmitch, MrYazz, Babe, and other BDC trolls. Yet they are all enabled by J-Bay / Examiner.  Go figure, the site is beingg dominated by Yankee imposters and there is nothing that we can do about it.My advice is to wake up and see who is a phony.
    Posted by 6k42lt913c[/QUOTE]

I know who the phony is whether I am awake or asleep. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it okay to root for them to lose? : hey I was pulling for the sox to beat the O's last night and then the game started   I just couldn't do it ;-)
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]
    Know that feeling zac...Still fear these Red Sox and a miracle, back-from-the-undead-comeback a la 2004, no matter how much they seem to be in disarray...If Middlebrooks'season-ending injury was the final coffin nail, a sweep by the Yanks this weekend would probably be the last stake needed to pierce that zombified but nonetheless "still beating" Bosox heart...Unless that happens, and I doubt it's likely to transpire, I will keep rooting for the Red Sox to lose until they are really on the cusp of mathematical elimination...

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it okay to root for them to lose? : Know that feeling zac...Still fear these Red Sox and a miracle, back-from-the-undead-comeback a la 2004, no matter how much they seem to be in disarray...If Middlebrooks'season-ending injury was the final coffin nail, a sweep by the Yanks this weekend would probably be the last stake needed to pierce that zombified but nonetheless "still beating" Bosox heart...Unless that happens, and I doubt it's likely to transpire, I will keep rooting for the Red Sox to lose until they are really on the cusp of mathematical elimination...
    Posted by GreenPartyCelt[/QUOTE]

Is this a typo?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it okay to root for them to lose? : Is this a typo?
    Posted by pumpsie-green[/QUOTE]
    Nope pumpsie...I really do think the Red Sox have such a strong team, albeit on paper and with the naive assumption that Beckett and Lester can miraculously bounce back, that I fear them as a team until they are almost officially out of it...I agree it sounds silly, but I also remember how certain I was that the ALCS was a done deal after Game 3 in 2004...

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Motown9009. Show Motown9009's posts

If I have to cheer for someone else from here on out I'd probably go Tigers or Dodgers. Maybe the Giants, I hated them since 1991 but the stentch of Barry Bonds is wearing off... But to be honest I wouldn't mind if the Yankees won. It's not that I'm cheering for them, but the Yankees winning wouldn't the be the worst thing ever like it's been in the past. I'd like to see Lowe win, which would be a nice little slap in the face to the front office that repeatedly rejects him. But I think it's only fitting that a year like the Red Sox have had end with the Yankees winning. Maybe it'll be the insult to injury that forces them to actually do something about the situation.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]But to be honest I wouldn't mind if the Yankees won. It's not that I'm cheering for them, but the Yankees winning wouldn't the be the worst thing ever like it's been in the past. I'd like to see Lowe win, which would be a nice little slap in the face to the front office that repeatedly rejects him. But I think it's only fitting that a year like the Red Sox have had end with the Yankees winning. Maybe it'll be the insult to injury that forces them to actually do something about the situation.
    Posted by Motown9009[/QUOTE]

The Yankees winning it all would be the worst thing that can happen.  The next best thing to the Red Sox winning it all, is the Yankees not winning it all.

Anyone but the Yankees.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I wouldn't lay down under any circumstances, at any time, for any reason.  I play the same if I am playing a game of pool for a beer, pinochle at a penny a point, or if I have $800 on the table in a poker game.

The reason for this is that you should never develop a tolerance for losing.

I can't even imagine rooting for the team to lose.  Literally, I can't imagine how the brain would that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]I wouldn't lay down under any circumstances, at any time, for any reason.  I play the same if I am playing a game of pool for a beer, pinochle at a penny a point, or if I have $800 on the table in a poker game. The reason for this is that you should never develop a tolerance for losing. I can't even imagine rooting for the team to lose.  Literally, I can't imagine how the brain would that.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

There is losing short term and there is losing long term. If losing short term increases the chances of losing long term and more regularly then I would rather lose short term and gain a long term advantage. You lack the big picture perspective Brady, though I can't say as I blame you. Its probably the majority opinion here and I know it. Still, if you can step outside the emotional attachment you have for the franchise and imagine it as a business you have to run for the rest of your life then hopefully you can see the other side as well. Look at the Rays: they lost for years for many years of relative prosperity. No, they haven't won a ring, but the teams they have had lately have given them more chances than we have had to win rings since 2007. Thats five years of prosperity and counting. What do we have? Five years of decreasing performance and mayhem and entropy. Maybe losing some games at the end of a hopeless season isn't so bad.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it okay to root for them to lose? : The Yankees winning it all would be the worst thing that can happen.  The next best thing to the Red Sox winning it all, is the Yankees not winning it all. Anyone but the Yankees.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

Almost. The next best thing to the Red Sox winning it all is the Yankees being embarassed and utterly defeated very early in the playoffs. I will never hope that the Yankees win, and thats purely emotional and illogical.

Sections
Shortcuts