IS IT TIME TO BAN RUNNERS FROM LAUNCHING AND CATCHERS FROM BLOCKING THE PLATE?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

IS IT TIME TO BAN RUNNERS FROM LAUNCHING AND CATCHERS FROM BLOCKING THE PLATE?

i've never grasped y the mlb allows this. seems very primitive esp with all the money involved. same with guys "taking out" the second basemen its very dangerous and unnecessarily risky. but at least when they do, its usually with their feet and they have to be within the baselines and so forth. if not, its an automatic out or the runner is booted from the game. to me with home plate, the burden should be on the runner. if you see a catcher around, you MUST slide or run through standing. if you get into tacking pete rose type positioning, it should be an automatic out and the run should be disqualified and the ump should have the discretion of booting the runner out of the game. you should just be able to slide feet-first or around the catcher head-first to touch the base. no more cave-man "take him out" nonsense! 

ON THE OTHER HAND, you cant police one and ignore the other. fact is catchers should not be allowed to just block the entire plate, thereby obstructing the runner's right to the base. its officially illegal yet no one has enforced it in over 75 years. can you imagine what would happen if the runner going to first or second was blocked off from the base? there must be a clean area for the runner to touch!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: IS IT TIME TO BAN RUNNERS FROM LAUNCHING OR RUNNING HEAD FIRST INTO CATCHERS?

There's already another thread about this.

Before you ban runners from running over the catcher, you have to ban catchers from blocking the plate. THat's when the collisions happen.

If the catcher is straddling the plate like a base fielder, then fine, don't let the runners run them over. But if the catcher is in the baseline in front of the plate, blocking the plate, then the catcher is going to get hit.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Re: IS IT TIME TO BAN RUNNERS FROM LAUNCHING OR RUNNING HEAD FIRST INTO CATCHERS?

No but it is time to take 10 seconds to scan the board and see if the thread you are about to start already exists. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

"LET ME BE CLEAR",  BY ALL MEANS !!   WE NEED TO MAKE THE GAME  MORE  P C .......  THEY SHOULD NOT GET THEIR UNIES DIRTY EITHER !!!   YA THINK !!    WE SHOULD ALSO HAVE THE BASBALL CZAR IN WASHINGTON TAKE A LOOK AT IT TOO !!   MAYBE SOME KIND OF TAX WOULD HELP ????

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

It was a clean play...11th inning so the runner had more incentive to crush the catcher...hate to see this happen, especially to a caliber player and good clubhouse guy as Posey...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: IS IT TIME TO BAN RUNNERS FROM LAUNCHING OR RUNNING HEAD FIRST INTO CATCHERS?:
    No but it is time to take 10 seconds to scan the board and see if the thread you are about to start already exists. 
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards
    i did. was more interested in the poll aspect. wanted to c what sox fans thought. i also added other other things that the other thread doesnt toch on. i do look at other threads each time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Absolutely not.  Catchers have the pads, etc and routinely block the plate, even when there is no play. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

In Response to Re: IS IT TIME TO BAN RUNNERS FROM LAUNCHING OR RUNNING HEAD FIRST INTO CATCHERS?:
    In Response to Re: IS IT TIME TO BAN RUNNERS FROM LAUNCHING OR RUNNING HEAD FIRST INTO CATCHERS? : Just don't start a thread about Pujols coming to the Red Sox, some moron already did that.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards

Pujols to Sox, no way, when...LOL...I know...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

Re: IS IT TIME TO BAN RUNNERS FROM LAUNCHING AND CATCHERS FROM BLOCKING THE PLATE?

catchers likewise should not be allowed to just block the entire plate, thereby obstructing the runner's right to the base. its officially illegal yet no one has enforced it in over 75 years. can you imagine what would happen if the runner going to first or second was blocked off from the base? there must be a clean area for the runner to touch!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

Re: IS IT TIME TO BAN RUNNERS FROM LAUNCHING AND CATCHERS FROM BLOCKING THE PLATE?

As long as they do not have metal spikes let them play the game way it been played since 1800s

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

"thereby obstructing the runner's right to the base"

I agree.  A 1st baseman can't block first or a SS can't close lines a runner rounding 2nd.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

There's already another thread about this. Before you ban runners from running over the catcher, you have to ban catchers from blocking the plate. THat's when the collisions happen. If the catcher is straddling the plate like a base fielder, then fine, don't let the runners run them over. But if the catcher is in the baseline in front of the plate, blocking the plate, then the catcher is going to get hit.
    Posted by royf19

im pretty sure that IS the rule

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

if the plate is being blocked by the catcher than he's free to run him over but last nite that was not the case, it was totally un necessary for the runner to do that  and now the guy is out for the year,

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Timing is everything.  As I was reading this thread Quick Pitch came on on MLB Network and I was able to watch the play repeatedly by running my DVR back and forth over it.

My initial opinion while reading this was that the catcher is fair game if he's blocking the plate and I still think he is.  However, in this case Posey wasn't blocking the plate!

Posey was completely in front of the plate (toward the pitcher) and Scott Cousins (the runner) had complete access to the plate.  Cousins went to the front of the plate and out of his way and dropped his shoulder to 'level' Posey as Posey attempted to move his body back to make the tag.

I'm still not in favor of any rule change to protect the catcher when he's blocking the plate, but in this case I think a suspension of Cousins is more than warranted.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Exactly, fourrings. Posey wasn't blocking the plate and Cousins had a clear lane. At least three quarters of the plate was clear. But Cousins lowered his shoulder and launched himself at Posey.

MLB must crack down on this before someone gets seriously hurt.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

fourrings, lloyd,

I was thinking the same thing. It's what I've been posting. If the catcher is blocking the plate, he's fair game, but the runner shouldn't be allowed to go out of his way to run over the catcher.

When I posted earlier on the two threads on this subject, I only saw one replay from an angle that didn't show it clearly. Since then, I've seen a couple of replays, and it's clear that if Cousins ran straight, he only would have brushed Posey as Posey was turning to tag. 

IMO, this was an example where the runner should have slid. Cousins veered to his left, aiming away from the plate, to run over Posey. That shouldn't be allowed because Posey wasn't in the baseline nor blocking the plate.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

If it's  a tag play, It's customary for the runner to attempt to knock the ball loose.  You can't attempt to do this without some pretty violent contact. First base is a force play.  Totally different situation.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: IS IT TIME TO BAN RUNNERS FROM LAUNCHING AND CATCHERS FROM BLOCKING THE PLATE?:
         If it's  a tag play, It's customary for the runner to attempt to knock the ball loose.  You can't attempt to do this without some pretty violent contact. First base is a force play.  Totally different situation.
    Posted by piersall
    Yes but tag plays also exist at 2nd and third and interference is defined differently. Infielders do not routinely set up at those bases in the runners lane of progress blocking that base. If they did interference would be called so fielders always position themselves to make the sweep tag.

Watching the play enough times and hearing analysis of it most folks don't feel Posey wanted to block the plate. He got caught positioned there and while the ball beat the the runner and sweep tag would have worked fine, because the throw was coming more from the center of the diamond Posey found himself right the base runners path.

The runner is often going to launch himself into the catcher so long as the runner believes that interference won't be called as it never is at home for block the runners progress to that base.

Any "rule change" needs to involve the catcher's role in the play not the runner. For the most part modern players police this well. Catchers don't make a habit of blocking home plate by squaring their body in the middle of the running lane like Scoscia did in the 80's anymore. And runners usually will pull up and not blow up a guy when they are out by a wide margin. But every once in awhile you get a bang bang play where this self policing fails and the players are in a lot of danger.

My first reaction is to take some of the danger out of that because the players health is key and if it is violence the fans want to watch the NFL and NHL have it covered already.

Since I also think any North American sport is better served commercially by having rules favoring scoring limiting the catchers ability to block home plate would not be a bad thing but as a cooler head prevails in my case a few days later, this just happen all that often so a lack of action by MLB won't surprise me or draw great emotion from me either.

Just my take

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

So Posey gets hurt and the game needs changing?

Where was all this outcry when Koyie Hill got hurt in a home plate collision?  Or any of the other hundreds of catchers between Fosse and Posey?

Or is the safety of some lesser people not worth worrying about?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

They should have rules. They should have to slide rather than barrel into the guy head first. Look at Pete Rose's crash into Fosse, ruing the guys career forever. The crash into Posey was very similar. Those sorts of car crashes at home plate should be considered "flagrant fouls", just like in basketball, with suspensions given when they occur. Losing Posey for a year hurts baseball a lot. The guy is a tremendous talent. What about Mauer? Even beyond all that, it is unfair to put catchers in such a defenseless position.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: IS IT TIME TO BAN RUNNERS FROM LAUNCHING AND CATCHERS FROM BLOCKING THE PLATE?:
    They should have rules. They should have to slide rather than barrel into the guy head first. Look at Pete Rose's crash into Fosse, ruing the guys career forever. The crash into Posey was very similar. Those sorts of car crashes at home plate should be considered "flagrant fouls", just like in basketball, with suspensions given when they occur. Losing Posey for a year hurts baseball a lot. The guy is a tremendous talent. What about Mauer? Even beyond all that, it is unfair to put catchers in such a defenseless position.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom
    The flip side of course Boom is the catcher should give the runner a clear path to the base, not a full obstruction.

Make it interference like it would be at 2B and the runner doesn't have to go through the catcher to score.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I hear you guys who want to give the advantage to the catcher--you know, the guy with all the pads--but I still disagree.

Some catchers prefer to block the plate every time.  In fact, earlier this year Ellsbury almost got injured when the catcher blocked the plate while waiting for the ball to get home so he could make a play on Pedroia.  He knocked Ellsbury down. 

calling the catchers for blocking the plate, which most of them do, including our guys.  Or don't call blocking the plate, but then don't hammer runners for going into the catcher. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Posted by piersall

Again, that's if the catcher is blocking the plate, which Posey clearly wasn't.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I hear you guys who want to give the advantage to the catcher--you know, the guy with all the pads--but I still disagree. Some catchers prefer to block the plate every time.  In fact, earlier this year Ellsbury almost got injured when the catcher blocked the plate while waiting for the ball to get home so he could make a play on Pedroia.  He knocked Ellsbury down.  calling the catchers for blocking the plate, which most of them do, including our guys.  Or don't call blocking the plate, but then don't hammer runners for going into the catcher. 
    Posted by maxbialystock
    That makes sense with exception being that I just can't see a rule that says the runner does not have the right to proceed directly to the base, whether it is at 2B or home plate.

An interesting debate that will die down however. While Posey gives it ink because of his prominance and promise, it just doesn't happen that often. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: IS IT TIME TO BAN RUNNERS FROM LAUNCHING AND CATCHERS FROM BLOCKING THE PLATE? : The flip side of course Boom is the catcher should give the runner a clear path to the base, not a full obstruction. Make it interference like it would be at 2B and the runner doesn't have to go through the catcher to score.
    Posted by fivekatz
    PERFECTLY STATED!

Sections
Shortcuts