IS IT TIME TO BAN RUNNERS FROM LAUNCHING AND CATCHERS FROM BLOCKING THE PLATE?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: IS IT TIME TO BAN RUNNERS FROM LAUNCHING AND CATCHERS FROM BLOCKING THE PLATE?

"They should have rules. They should have to slide rather than barrel into the guy head first. Look at Pete Rose's crash into Fosse, ruing the guys career forever. The crash into Posey was very similar. Those sorts of car crashes at home plate should be considered "flagrant fouls", just like in basketball, with suspensions given when they occur. Losing Posey for a year hurts baseball a lot. The guy is a tremendous talent. What about Mauer? Even beyond all that, it is unfair to put catchers in such a defenseless position."

My point is, this whole week the only names I keep hearing are Posey and Fosse.  Those two collisions are 41 years apart.

There have literally been hundreds of catchers hurt in collisons at home plate in between.  At no point in any time did anyone say, "Gee, allowing baserunners to collide with catchers at home plate allowed Darrell Porter and Luis Pujols to get injured.  We need to do something about this."

And now it seems like the line is "Koyie Hill got hurt badly, but he was unimportant, and frankly, deserved it.  But Posey!!?  Now its going too far."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

Re: IS IT TIME TO BAN RUNNERS FROM LAUNCHING AND CATCHERS FROM BLOCKING THE PLATE?

In Response to Re: IS IT TIME TO BAN RUNNERS FROM LAUNCHING AND CATCHERS FROM BLOCKING THE PLATE?:
    [QUOTE]"They should have rules. They should have to slide rather than barrel into the guy head first. Look at Pete Rose's crash into Fosse, ruing the guys career forever. The crash into Posey was very similar. Those sorts of car crashes at home plate should be considered "flagrant fouls", just like in basketball, with suspensions given when they occur. Losing Posey for a year hurts baseball a lot. The guy is a tremendous talent. What about Mauer? Even beyond all that, it is unfair to put catchers in such a defenseless position." My point is, this whole week the only names I keep hearing are Posey and Fosse.  Those two collisions are 41 years apart. There have literally been hundreds of catchers hurt in collisons at home plate in between.  At no point in any time did anyone say, "Gee, allowing baserunners to collide with catchers at home plate allowed Darrell Porter and Luis Pujols to get injured.  We need to do something about this." And now it seems like the line is "Koyie Hill got hurt badly, but he was unimportant, and frankly, deserved it.  But Posey!!?  Now its going too far."
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]called real life. someone stabs or rapes your sister, its just a shame and a statistic. stab or hurt a clinton or a celebrity's offspring, and its a war on rape, men and crime. new rules and so forth. look at stalking laws. no problem til the high profile got targeted. heck its called the rebecca schaefer law in someparts. dont argue common sense my friend. will always be like that. a 2 bit guy making the vets minimum will never be viewed the same as a high profile yound stud like a posey.

heck as a boston sports fan, what happened when our brady got hit in the knee in a very legal hit? happened for years. saw lots of qbs get taken out that way. hey was blocked there. you can bet your buttt no league is going to jeopardize a tommy brady. costs too much to the league, his team and fandom. you change the rules.  ham and eggers get separate treatment. its called life. in same way when these guys mess up or get a girlfriend, must deal with a lot more headache than th e average person or player. so yeah double standards are normal and will always be with us my friend!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The catcher should not be allowed to block the plate without the ball. It should be ruled as obstruction, just as it would be at any other base. The runner should have the right to the plate.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to IS IT TIME TO BAN RUNNERS FROM LAUNCHING AND CATCHERS FROM BLOCKING THE PLATE?:
    [QUOTE]i've never grasped y the mlb allows this. seems very primitive esp with all the money involved. same with guys "taking out" the second basemen its very dangerous and unnecessarily risky. but at least when they do, its usually with their feet and they have to be within the baselines and so forth. if not, its an automatic out or the runner is booted from the game. to me with home plate, the burden should be on the runner. if you see a catcher around, you MUST slide or run through standing. if you get into tacking pete rose type positioning, it should be an automatic out and the run should be disqualified and the ump should have the discretion of booting the runner out of the game. you should just be able to slide feet-first or around the catcher head-first to touch the base. no more cave-man "take him out" nonsense!  ON THE OTHER HAND, you cant police one and ignore the other. fact is catchers should not be allowed to just block the entire plate, thereby obstructing the runner's right to the base. its officially illegal yet no one has enforced it in over 75 years. can you imagine what would happen if the runner going to first or second was blocked off from the base? there must be a clean area for the runner to touch!
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

No, as it is baseball players are wimps.  Let them at least try to be men.  Did you see the Bruins/Tampa game last night?  Stamkos left with a shattered nose after a drive hit in the face.  Team doctor did the best he could to reset it, stuffed his nostrols with gauze, sewed up the entire length of his nose and Stamkos was back on the ice in 8 minutes.  And you worry about a collision at the plate?  All ballplayers should be made to sit in the front row at a hockey and learn what it is to be an athlete. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Posey had three-quarters of the plate open. The runner seemed to put his head down and just bash into him for no reason, since he could've just easily touched home. It really was hard to watch. It seemed very abusive to me, and purposely done.

In cases like that, where the runner clearly has no need to do that, I don't think it should be allowed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: IS IT TIME TO BAN RUNNERS FROM LAUNCHING AND CATCHERS FROM BLOCKING THE PLATE?:
    [QUOTE]Posey had three-quarters of the plate open. The runner seemed to put his head down and just bash into him for no reason, since he could've just easily touched home. It really was hard to watch. It seemed very abusive to me, and purposely done. In cases like that, where the runner clearly has no need to do that, I don't think it should be allowed.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]
    to give the benefit of the dooubt to cousins, part of the problem is that he may have instinctively anticipated the collision. figures if i dont hit him first and strongly, he may turn and hit me. again if there were none of the shenanigans or unnecessary tough guyisms about who owns the plate, none of this would happen. cousins should not have been worrying about posey blocking the plate in any event and in the future a posey should never have to worry about being a tackling dummy. he should be exposed to the same risk as a first baseman and even less than a middle infielder on a steal or double play attempt.