Is it time to make Jose Iglesias the everyday SS?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fir.eballer58. Show fir.eballer58's posts

Is it time to make Jose Iglesias the everyday SS?

Do you agree with the scouts?
    by Nick Cafardo/Boston Globe:
    "Great conversation between a couple of scouts the other day in New York. “Play him every day in the big leagues right now,’’ said one. “Who cares how much he hits? You have enough offense in that lineup, especially if [Jarrod] Saltalamacchia hits.’’ Said the other, “He’ll eventually be a good hitter, but right now there’s nobody like him defensively.’’

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Re: Is it time to make Jose Iglesias the everyday SS?

Scoot is hitting, platoon Lowrie and Scoot for rest of season, let Iggy develop, bring him up next year. My opinion.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

with the nugget being "IF" Salty hits...if he doesn't the question becomes to you want to throw a guy who hasn't shown any noticeable improvement in his hitting into the kind of pressure-cooker the ALE is known to be?...while i admittedly don't know enough to saying it's a bad idea, i only ask whether you're better off at the moment with two guys who have been serviceable on both sides of the ball in JLow and Scutaro...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Nope..keep him in AAA..Let him get ab's..He just turned 21..We will have many years to watch this kid play..Scoot and Jed are doing a good job..not a worry this year..and Jete; It looks like salty is hitting the ball pretty regularly and showing a little pop too...But I still say keep the kid down til 2012..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: Is it time to make Jose Iglesias the everyday SS?:
    [QUOTE]Nope..keep him in AAA..Let him get ab's..He just turned 21..We will have many years to watch this kid play..Scoot and Jed are doing a good job..not a worry this year..and Jete; It looks like salty is hitting the ball pretty regularly and showing a little pop too...But I still say keep the kid down til 2012..
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]hey SP, i saw that..went and checked Salty's numbers after posting that...as for Iglesias, i agree, do you think he'll be one the guys up in Sept.?...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it time to make Jose Iglesias the everyday SS? : hey SP, i saw that..went and checked Salty's numbers after posting that...as for Iglesias, i agree, do you think he'll be one the guys up in Sept.?...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]He's already had a cup of coffee this year, so I would expect so.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

no, there is no need to, the team is winning so why bring him up and have him struggle at the plate

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Have Iglesias continue to learn and develop and then have him as the everyday SS next year. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

He is hitting.235 with just one extra base hit at Pawtucket. What does that translate to in the A.L. ?  As for his defense, I hope it as good as advertised. He has committed eight errors in 44 games at Paw. Scutaro is hitting well since his return. The Sox are winning. I can see no reason to bring him up at this time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

Only if they were desperate, which they're not. Even if they get nothing out of the SS position, they have a great line up. With the way they're capable of hitting and pitching, all I want is someone who can field the ball and throw out the runner. If he gets the occasional timely hit, even better. Iglesias should stay where he is. Bringing him up too early will only set his development back.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Lowrie's highest trade value has disappeared, as I said it would. (oops, Theo) Finish the year by making certain that Lowrie is platooned against LHP, and give most of the reps to Scutaro. DL Lowrie for a stint, a few weeks before roster expansion and carry Iggy all the way to 2012 working under Scutaro. Plan to either get Scuatro to agree to a one year low cost mentor UIF to keep working with Iggy in 2012 and deal Lowrie next winter. If Scutaro wants too much on a one year deal for a UIF/split time profile, simply sign another veteran solid defensive SS to a cheap one year deal to work with Iggy and move forward with him as the long term starting defensive everyday SS.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

not a chance. he needs more ab at pawtucket and a much improved batting average. kid needs to lift some weights, he is tiny, needs more pop. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]Nope..keep him in AAA..Let him get ab's..He just turned 21..We will have many years to watch this kid play..Scoot and Jed are doing a good job..not a worry this year..and Jete; It looks like salty is hitting the ball pretty regularly and showing a little pop too...But I still say keep the kid down til 2012..
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]
    Agree 100 percent.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Something Tito is very good at is putting players in positions where they will succeed.  (Maybe something he learned through the Cla Meredith fiasco?)

Bringing Iggy up now to face ALEast pitching doesn't fit that profile.  I can see him coming up, hitting Oh-for-July and losing his confidence.

As someone already said, the team isn't desperate for a SS (no matter what a certain poster says) so let him ride in Pawtucket.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from steelheadfisherman. Show steelheadfisherman's posts

The Sox have won 9 straight. It's not exactly time to change shortstops. Lowrie has played well. Scutaro can fill in liberally.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Lowrie's highest trade value has disappeared, as I said it would. (oops, Theo) Finish the year by making certain that Lowrie is platooned against LHP, and give most of the reps to Scutaro. DL Lowrie for a stint, a few weeks before roster expansion and carry Iggy all the way to 2012 working under Scutaro. Plan to either get Scuatro to agree to a one year low cost mentor UIF to keep working with Iggy in 2012 and deal Lowrie next winter. If Scutaro wants too much on a one year deal for a UIF/split time profile, simply sign another veteran solid defensive SS to a cheap one year deal to work with Iggy and move forward with him as the long term starting defensive everyday SS.
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

What salary would you consider fair for the mentor/UIF role?  Wouldn't Lowrie be the better option in a UIF role as he can also cover 3B, while Scutaro can barely make the throw from SS?  While Lowrie boots the occasional grounder, at least he can get the ball to first.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

He should have been up a long time ago. They could have given him more time than they did the last time he was up. Now we go to Tampa to face the Rays on Tues.night. They platoon (2) guys, Reid Brignac, currently hitting at about .175 and E. Johnson, the backup switch hitter at about .235. Both these guys are glove ready for MLB, just like Inglesis. The Rays know that this is a move that will pay dividends later...like Sept. -Oct. The infield defense is key for them. They know this because they value the glove more than the bat at this position. The pitching staff knows the value of good infield defense and will get energized by it, not defeated by a lack thereof. Our problem at SS isn't going away because we're winning more than losing now and winning has a way of temporarily covering weak spots . Lets fix the problem now. Lets see if this kid can handle it sooner than later.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In a word NO, and isn't it time to stop asking? Scutaro and Lowrie are not perfect, but they are fine, and can both hit much better than Iglesias. So sure, best record in the AL, won 9 in a row, so now is the perfect time to replace our starting SS with an unproven rookie who can't hit. The team is working, leave it alone!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I get frustrated like everyone else, but the answer is still no.  Iglesias needs to learn how to hit.  Slomag made a good point, that Iglesias's fielding will not compensate for his inability to hit.  Plus the Sox are going great guns right now, so why change? 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

What salary would you consider fair for the mentor/UIF role?  Wouldn't Lowrie be the better option in a UIF role as he can also cover 3B, while Scutaro can barely make the throw from SS?  While Lowrie boots the occasional grounder, at least he can get the ball to first

I agree, Lowrie's slow release and weak arm strength is hard to look at it.

Scutaro can get the ball to first, JB, but Lowrie can commit both a fielding error and throwing error on one ball in play.

No, Lowrie would not be better a UIF role because he isn't the only guy who can "cover 3B". Lowrie would be better as a trade candidate, about last winter.

A solid veteran defensive SS can be had for about 1 to 2 M and 1 year.

A UIF should never be a butcher.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]What salary would you consider fair for the mentor/UIF role?  Wouldn't Lowrie be the better option in a UIF role as he can also cover 3B, while Scutaro can barely make the throw from SS ?  While Lowrie boots the occasional grounder, at least he can get the ball to first I agree, Lowrie's slow release and weak arm strength is hard to look at it. Scutaro can get the ball to first, JB, but Lowrie can commit both a fielding error and throwing error on one ball in play. No, Lowrie would not be better a UIF role because he isn't the only guy who can "cover 3B". Lowrie would be better as a trade candidate, about last winter.   A solid veteran defensive SS can be had for about 1 to 2 M and 1 year. A UIF should never be a butcher.
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

Like Hall.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

No, like Lowrie. For catchers, see the wooden old man, Varitek. For pitchers, see 5 plus ERA since the last of 2009 Wastefield.

Hall is so bad the Giants picked him up almost immedeatly after the Astros sent him out to do janitor work.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i think at this point if scutaro keeps playing well then we should wait till around the trade deadline before we decided to call up jose. If he starts hitting by the trade deadline then we should call him up and deal either scutaro or lowrie and make jose the starter. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Scutaro has almsot no trade value.