Is it time to make Jose Iglesias the everyday SS?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Is it time to make Jose Iglesias the everyday SS?

In Response to Re: Is it time to make Jose Iglesias the everyday SS?:
    [QUOTE]Scutaro has almsot no trade value.
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

Crisp also has almsot no trade value.

Hall has none at all.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from swhiting. Show swhiting's posts

Iglaises 9 errors at AAA
    Scutaro 3
    Lowrie 9

Ok I might not have gone to MIT, but 3 errors does not make up for the offensive drop off.

Don't you think our bigger problem is at 2nd base?

Some of you are such a trip.

Enjoy the winning, ot the whinning.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Is it time to make Jose Iglesias the everyday SS?:
    [QUOTE]Do you agree with the scouts? by Nick Cafardo/Boston Globe: "Great conversation between a couple of scouts the other day in New York. “Play him every day in the big leagues right now,’’ said one. “Who cares how much he hits? You have enough offense in that lineup, especially if [ Jarrod ] Saltalamacchia hits.’’ Said the other, “He’ll eventually be a good hitter, but right now there’s nobody like him defensively.’’
    Posted by fir.eballer58[/QUOTE]  I AGREE..... BRING THAT GLOVE UP AND PLUG HIM IN "SOOOONER, RATHER THAN LATER" !!  TEAM  E R A WILL GO DOWN BY 1.5 PER GAME.... TAKE AWAY THE BIG INNINGS.....  WAKEFIELD WOULD BE THRILLED !!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Max.........You change to get better not stay the same. You fix your weak spots as you go not as you need to. Most agree that JL and MS are subpar defenders at a position that requires credentials that these two do not have now nor are capable of acquiring in the near future. They bleed the energy out of a pitching staff with lousy catch and throw skills, range deficiencies, and a lack of arm strength. These guys make the routine plays too exciting. But they can hit better than a guy with a better glove at AAA. Inglesias has to play to see if he can play at the ML level. He may not be the answer but  let him show you he's not the answer. MS is here for another 3-4 mos., we already know what he's capable of.Lets look at Inglesias for a while and make an evaluation before the trade deadline. Maybe nothing works for us inside the system and we go outside for a front line guy.........Steve Drew ??       Just a thought. I'm sure the FO will figure this out

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]                        Max.........You change to get better not stay the same. You fix your weak spots as you go not as you need to. Most agree that JL and MS are subpar defenders at a position that requires credentials that these two do not have now nor are capable of acquiring in the near future. They bleed the energy out of a pitching staff with lousy catch and throw skills, range deficiencies, and a lack of arm strength. These guys make the routine plays too exciting. But they can hit better than a guy with a better glove at AAA. Inglesias has to play to see if he can play at the ML level. He may not be the answer but  let him show you he's not the answer. MS is here for another 3-4 mos., we already know what he's capable of.Lets look at Inglesias for a while and make an evaluation before the trade deadline. Maybe nothing works for us inside the system and we go outside for a front line guy.........Steve Drew ??       Just a thought. I'm sure the FO will figure this out
    Posted by eggplants[/QUOTE]  GOOD POST, YOUNG MAN.......  I WILL TALK WITH MY FRIEND THEO..... !!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sundvl20. Show sundvl20's posts

I think most mlb teams coddle young players too much. But in this case it is warranted because I dont think I have ever seen a hitter so overmatched as Iglesias was when he was up earlier in the year. Dont care if he is the next Ozzie, he needs time to develop some bat speed and Boston isnt the place for that

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

feelec,.......Here's how to look at it. If he comes up and can't play defense and can't hit then we dump him. If he comes up and plays good to great defense and can't hit then keep him up for a spot starter or late inning replacement to protect a late lead. If he comes up and hits. ( .200 ) and plays defense maybe we're sitting on a down the road ML ball player and we've solved the problem in house. Our biggest problem with this guy is we don't know what  he can do at the ML level, he hasn't been given his chance yet. Let's get it over with. Bring him up, give him his chance, then make a decision. Stop jerking him around. He knows he can play up. Let him show us.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Eggplants, bill-806, and others--

I would love to see Iglesias at SS at Fenway.  What a blast.  But I trust the FO on deciding when and how.  It is clear they don't think Iglesias is ready, and neither do I.  In fact, Navarro may get there first if he can get off the DL. He's a way better hitter than Iglesias and reportedly a better fielder than Lowrie or Scutaro.

There is no way any SS, even Ozzie Smith or one of the other greats, is going to save 1.5 runs per game.  The best defense is good pitching, period.  And, in the AL, every positional player should be depicted as holding a bat, because hitting wins games as much as pitching and maybe more.  The Sox have the 9th best ERA in the AL but the most wins and the best record. 

Great fielding is the poetry of baseball and great for the highlight reels.  And sometimes it wins games, but not very often.  The Sox have just won 9 in a row, and I would challenge anyone to point out a key fielding play by the Sox or the opposition that either enabled the Sox to win or prevented the opposition from winning any one of those games.  Can't be done. 

I say again--hitting first, then pitching, then fielding, then baserunning. 

When the Sox finally won the WS in 2004 after 86 years of frustration, they won the first game, 11-9, against the Cardinals at Fenway despite 4 Sox errors.  That to me says it all. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sveltics. Show Sveltics's posts

You will see a guy like Lowery pinch hit in the playoffs and come through so, no, its not time to make changes.

As far as Scoot goes, if you are going to move him, move him now. But i wouldnt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

The stats are so obvious that the young man isn't ready. His OBP is .269 in AAA. That was a 45 point drop from AA to AAA. Just imagine the drop coming to MLB where 75% of the pitchers have nasty cutters now and change-ups.

Even as a glove first middle IF the kid is going to need to have an OBP of about .310 - .330. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

No.  If Iggy was at ss, the Sox might have only gone 8-1 in the last 9.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

AMEN!!  AND AMEN!! "THE TEAM IS WORKING, LEAVE IT ALONE!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

If the Sox bring up Iglesias to be the every day SS his bat will be a hole in the lineup where there is none now.  The hole currently is in RF.  I would not open up a second hole in the lineup just to improve the defense.  Once the Sox find production from the RFer, then I would be open to the idea (and feel bad for Lowrie, who has earned a spot in that batting order, IMO).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I would love to see Iglesias play SS.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Wastefield and Vartik have no trade value.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

[QUOTE]Wastefield and Vartik have no trade value.

wakefield as a fifth starter with a 4.39 era it would seem someone would like to have him

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

It would seem that a 45 year old guy who needs to average about 6 or 7 days between starts would have no trade value. And he doesn't.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

[QUOTE]No, like Lowrie. For catchers, see the wooden old man, Varitek. For pitchers, see 5 plus ERA since the last of 2009 Wastefield. Hall is so bad the Giants picked him up almost immedeatly after the Astros sent him out to do janitor work.

wakefield era 4.39-try to keep up!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

I trust his 5 plus ERA since the last of 2009. It will go right back there or he'll hit the DL, one of the two. The 5 walks and wild pitch were vintage Wakefield. Shields is why youth is the way to go. Give Miller 3 or 4 chances, then go to Doubrant.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

[QUOTE]Lowrie's highest trade value has disappeared, as I said it would. (oops, Theo) Finish the year by making certain that Lowrie is platooned against LHP, and give most of the reps to Scutaro. DL Lowrie for a stint, a few weeks before roster expansion and carry Iggy all the way to 2012 working under Scutaro. Plan to either get Scuatro to agree to a one year low cost mentor UIF to keep working with Iggy in 2012 and deal Lowrie next winter. If Scutaro wants too much on a one year deal for a UIF/split time profile, simply sign another veteran solid defensive SS to a cheap one year deal to work with Iggy and move forward with him as the long term starting defensive everyday SS.
    hate to break your heart but,lowrie is going nowhere.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Doesn't break my heart, simply shows that dealing him last winter was the way to go.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleRhodyJack. Show LittleRhodyJack's posts

There is interest in Marco from others.Maybe,it's time to let him go,for the right offer,play Lowrie and bring Iglesias up.He (Jose) could get some nice playing time in .Although,Jed's glove is suspect,his bat is alive.He's a good contact hitter and drives the ball real hard.I feel more comfortable with Lowrie in the field than Scutaro,and Jose coming in to spell plays big.....The Sox' hitting can more than carry Jose' average...........maybe,it's time for Iggy's arrival. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

I'd say let him finish the season in AAA, he still needs a lot of seasoning at the plate. He is a tremendous short stop and will dominate defensively for many years to come in Boston, but give the kid some time... no need to rush him right now.

Sections
Shortcuts