Is It Time To Move Mike Napoli Down in Order?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Is It Time To Move Mike Napoli Down in Order?

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

In response to torgorocks' comment:

Farrell manages like a robot. That's neither a compliment nor a slam. He is what he is. Thinking outside the box is not his strong point.

As for sheriff rojas, you're the mud beneath my shoes.

If you're gonna insult me, at least try to be more creative than that.  Try thinking outside of the box.  Maybe that's not your strong point.  

If the guy is walking around with mud beneath his shoes than what does that say about him? 

Again tonight our RH batters have failed us miserably so far including Nap and Gomes.  That's really sad when we are playing a team like the Astros so how do we expect anything will change without another move?  Hopefully we can find a way to win this game but it certainly proves my point.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

[QUOTE]

Farrell manages like a robot. That's neither a compliment nor a slam. He is what he is. Thinking outside the box is not his strong point.

If you're gonna insult me, at least try to be more creative than that.  Try thinking outside of the box.  Maybe that's not your strong point.  

If the guy is walking around with mud beneath his shoes than what does that say about him? 

Again tonight our RH batters have failed us miserably so far including Nap and Gomes.  That's really sad when we are playing a team like the Astros so how do we expect anything will change without another move?  Hopefully we can find a way to win this game but it certainly proves my point.

[/QUOTE]

What were you sayin' about Gomes again?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

What are your thoughts? Over last 10 games, he has struck out 50% of the time.

Maybe Papi would hit even better if someone like Carp was there to protect him a little better.

YES YES AND YES...also to platoon him with Carp... He could contribute more hitting seventh, and Papi would get better pitches

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Moon - He is .060 below his career OPS, he has already surpassed his career K's. This thread isn't about removing him from the lineup, it's from keeping him in the 5th hole.

In his last 11 games, he has 0 home runs, and 1 RBI. Enough said.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from den666. Show den666's posts

Time to move him in the dugout. Can't believe Carp isn't playing first base. Francoma revisited?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Tonight Napoli has ended multiple rallies, leaving 6 men on base. He has left 14 men on base in his last two games, while going 0 for 9 with 3 K's.

Farrell can keep putting him there, but it is really hurting the team. The Red Sox have a glaring hole in the #5 spot.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaysofYaz. Show DaysofYaz's posts

Hello everyone.  My first post, been following along for quite a while. I'll have to agree, these strikeouts are getting old. Could it be the hip is hindering his movement? Looks like an all upper body motion. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

0 for 4 tonight with another key strikeout. This bum has got to sit down for a while then get platooned. How much more damage will Farrell allow him to inflict on his team?

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from unhgrad. Show unhgrad's posts

What are your thoughts? Over last 10 games, he has struck out 50% of the time.

Maybe Papi would hit even better if someone like Carp was there to protect him a little better.

Napoli is supposed to protect Ortiz in the lineup so he will see better pitches. Many times they pitch around Ortiz just so they can face Napoli. He generally doesn't disappoint them. Napoli has had many opportunities to break open a game in the last few weeks and always fails. Generally he kills a rally. I have never seen a seasoned veteran swing and miss so many pitches. I also can't believe how many runners he hs left on third with less than 2 outs. He is killing the middle of the batting order. Move him down. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon - He is .060 below his career OPS, he has already surpassed his career K's. This thread isn't about removing him from the lineup, it's from keeping him in the 5th hole.

In his last 11 games, he has 0 home runs, and 1 RBI. Enough said.

Cherry-picking sample sizes is easy, so saying "enough said" is not helping the debate. He has 1 HR and 2 RBI in the last 12 games, 4 Hrs and 8 RBI in his last 19 games.

And, follow your same argument (not mine) through. The guy (Carp) everyone wants up instead of Napoli has 0 HR and 3 RBI his last 10 games.

I was at the game tonight. Napoli hit the ball hard 3 times, but everyone will only remember the big K.

Besides, I said I was OK moving him down vs RHPs, but I doubt Carp will instill any more fear than Naps when a pitcher is facing Papi.

One reason I wanted us to push hard for J Upton (career .900+ vs RHPs and .800+ vs RHPs) or Wil Myers (over .820 vs RHPs and LHPs in a small sample thus far) was our big weakness vs LHPs.

I suggested we pick up a platoon bat at the deadline (3B).

My point has been that just because Napoli has been put in a slot he is not good enough at this moment to thrive does not mean he is the weakness. The weakness is that we have too few choices when we face a lefty and no true #5 hitter when we face a righty.

At the start of this year, I suggested batting Papi 3rd and Pedey 4th. Pedey has had great success up 4th in a somewhat limited sample size. He's our best bet at protecting Papi, especially vs LHPs, and except for this year, has hit RHPs pretty well. Papi up 3rd also gets him a few more PAs over a season and gets him up in the first inning everytime. Just a thought.

(Note: some posters are calling for his benching, but they need to look at what some other hitters are doing this year and over the last 2-4 weeks, before they throw stones.)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I read that Napoli historically is a 6 hole hitter, not his fault the Red Sox and most of the posters here went nutzy and assumed he would mash 35 homers and drive in 100+

BINGO!

Naps is trying to fill a hole that has been here since Manny and JBay left. He should have been our 6 hitter (maybe 7th vs RHPs).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It means he lives in rural new mexico and it just rained.Laughing

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

I read that Napoli historically is a 6 hole hitter, not his fault the Red Sox and most of the posters here went nutzy and assumed he would mash 35 homers and drive in 100+

BINGO!

Naps is trying to fill a hole that has been here since Manny and JBay left. He should have been our 6 hitter (maybe 7th vs RHPs).

[/QUOTE]

Yep, he's a 6.  Middy was gonna be the 5, didn't happen.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to torgorocks's comment:

That he wears shoes; do you? Based on your posts, i picture you as a bare-footed country bumpkin.

Which would be one step ahead of you.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

That he wears shoes; do you? Based on your posts, i picture you as a bare-footed country bumpkin.

Which would be one step ahead of you.

That may be your 1st non-whining post.

On the other hand, you have none. Try discussing baseball logically instead of insulting some of the intelligent posters here.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I was at the game tonight.

With the possible exception of Papi, Napoli hit the ball harder than anyone else on the team, but the K is what everyone is in lynch mob mode about.

(Ks over recent days & over the season as well)

He's not the weak link.

(Check out the "Elephants in the Room" thread.)

Sox4ever

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

With the possible exception of Papi, Napoli hit the ball harder than anyone else on the team, but the K is what everyone is in lynch mob mode about.

He's not the weak link.

Sox4ever

Seems like there were a lot of long outs for the sox, and naps hit a couple of shots, hard luck game all around, coulda gone either way. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

This from Globe: Mike Napoli was 0 for 4 and left five runners on base. Napoli is hitting .215 with runners in scoring position and has struck out 145 times overall, only 32 away from matching the franchise single-season record set by Mark Bellhorn in 2004.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

[QUOTE]

He's not the weak link.

Sox4ever

Seems like there were a lot of long outs for the sox, and naps hit a couple of shots, hard luck game all around, coulda gone either way. 

[/QUOTE]

Yup, there were a few hard hit balls, but right at defenders.

One of them games.

Oberholtzer looks like a good pitcher.

He also shut out Baltimore, in his previous start.

Sections
Shortcuts