is it too early for VICTORINO to ask for a raise?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Re: is it too early for VICTORINO to ask for a raise?

In response to jasko2248's comment:

Justin Upton said he wouldn't waive his "no trade" to come to Boston...How could they "blow" an opportunity that was never there?  

Maybe.  But a good salesman doesnt take no for an answer at first blush.  We should have asked why not and tried to get him to warm to the idea.  But if there was absolutely no way of getting him here, its still warranted to be frustrated that we had to pay 39/3 for a 33 yr old RF coming off a down season when Atlanta was able to acquire a 23 yr old 30 HR RF for very replacable parts.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to taz1956's comment:

Shane had a better offer from another team but chose the Red Sox. If he was lowballed like many here wanted chances are he goes elsewhere. This guy is a gamer and has tools to be one of the best right fielders in the game. Watch him play for a couple of months before passing judgement.

Two teams do not set the market.  Just because another team was willing to pay more, doesnt mean it wasnt an overpay.  By all media accounts, it was an overpay.  Even Farrell admitted so ("we are willing to pay a premium (i.e. overpay) to get him to a shorter deal")

Whats done is done.  Going forward , I will root for Shane.  Hes a gritty ballplayer and Im glad we have him.  I just understand where Softlaw's coming from.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

In response to BostonProSportsLover's comment:

first, like many here thought it was a real reach to pay him 13m for 3 years. but i absolutely love watching this multi-tool gritty guy. a true dirt dog. playing great in right, he's a battler at the plate and on the bases, and  lasering everything incl taking out kuroda. u never know what will happen over the course of the season but this guy is a culture changer, means more to us than just his performance on it. fact that we get both is just amazing. got a steal last night, hitting at .364. most of all he's helped to stabilize the bottom of the order. he is what he is. with him, jbj and iggy, we may have the best the bottom orders in baseball. that was the key to the glory years. he's like bill mueller with more potential pop. yep u want your rightfielder ideally to hit higher but we have other guys to do that. this team for now has no dead weight. a potential murderous row from 1-9!

Yes, 31 months early.

Haha, or 2 months late, depending on how you look at it.  His contract is his contract.  Nice post.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

I love when any Boston team brings on a Hawaiian player.  They show every play they make on the local news channels.  Otherwise all I get is West Coast team news and college team info from these guys.  Thank you bean counters...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to softlaw2's comment:

No, it's too late because he's too old to ask for a raise. Don't get all wound up about this old man, after two games. Let's see how those old legs do in the 2nd half and the next 26 million dollars on his overpriced contract.

32 is old?

I think it all depends on the player.  Sometimes the only difference between a HOF player and a guy who has just a good career is how they hold up.

Anyone remember the "who's better" debate of the 90's; Nomar, Jeter, or AROD?  I used to always talk about how much better Nomar was then those guys, and while it might not have been so clear cut you could make the argument that he could.  What happened is Nomar while staying productive slowed down and had a hard time staying healthy around 30 meanwhile Jeter kept on chugging along for the next 30 years.

I look at a guy like Victorino, and while he's no Jeter he has had some pretty darn good years.  Now he could have just had a bad year last year, and may bounce back and be great for another 3-5,6 years who knows....or last year could have been the beginning of the decline for him.  Reality is there is just no way of knowing, only time will tell.

Personally I feel if he still has some juice left in him the 3/39 contract is going to make Ben C. look brilliant, and if Victorino continues to slid it will make him look horrible.  

I remain optimistic for Shane, however I'm a realist and am aware that he could be of little value to us out there this year.

So far so good.....let's hope he keeps it up. 

The "age" of a player does depend.  Of course.  But the thing about Victorino's down year in 2012, he was stil busy swiping a career high 39 bases.  So, that, to me, is a key indicator that he is far from "old".  Particularly when that 39 swipe season is a year removed from arguably his best career season.  

One of the biggest annoyances about this forum this winter/spring has been waiting out Softy and all the folk too wrapped up in the trashing-management agenda to accept that, while an overpay, Shane was a great pickup.  Why wouldn't you want this guy on your club?  Oh, yeah, because he is old ... except that he is not ...

I shut up about it for the most part because the discourse on this forum is always filled with blustery nonsense since there is no actual performance to keep anyone honest in their evaluations.  I will continue to shut up about it now because, unlike Softy, I don't like saying I Told Ya So.  The mark of an annoying twit in real life and on the internet.  I will however, now just be able to enjoy the Flyin' Hawaian doing his thing fro the Red Sox.  I love the way the old timer plays the game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Tomhab's comment:

I love when any Boston team brings on a Hawaiian player.  They show every play they make on the local news channels.  Otherwise all I get is West Coast team news and college team info from these guys.  Thank you bean counters...

Too right, mate!  Thems Hawaiins just ain't as reliable as them Welsh Evanses, them Swedish Fisks, them Polish Yastrzemskis, them Spanish Martinezes, and, worst of all, them (mixed race) Williamses......and as for the rest of that rabble, wah hey....

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

In response to Tomhab's comment:

This is a riddle, right. We are supposed to guess where you live?  Do you live in Hawaii, Boston, or the West coast? If you pick beans then maybe you live in Florida. This is a tough one. I give up.

Really why would Boston, West Coast or Florida News  Satations report more on the Red Sox becasue of a Hawaiian???   Now I'm trying to figure out were I live Surprised

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

We need to call in Blargy Blarg to decipher Tomhab's assertions about Hawaians in Boston.  

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

We need to call in Blargy Blarg to decipher Tomhab's assertions about Hawaians in Boston.  

I think he's saying that he lives in Hawaii, and he's excited that the Sox signed Vic (a Hawaiin) because it will increase the local news coverage of the Sox.

At least thats what I hope he's saying.

Sections
Shortcuts