IS IT WRONG TO HOPE THAT LACKEY MISSES THE REST OF THE YEAR WITH ELBOW ISSUES SINCE IT WILL VOID HIS CONTRACT?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

IS IT WRONG TO HOPE THAT LACKEY MISSES THE REST OF THE YEAR WITH ELBOW ISSUES SINCE IT WILL VOID HIS CONTRACT?

if lackey is on the DL for than 60 days in any of the next 3 years due to a pre-existing condition with his right elbow, his 2015 contract will be reduced to the vet minimum as opposed to having us pay him $18M. interestingly, the mets were very concerned with lackey and his health but had no qualms whatsoever with jason bay. not keeping ason bay is our kendrick perkins situation. he was aguy very comfortable playing in boston and fenway. would have cost us about $60m over 4  years, instead we let him go and send cameron out there and now sign craw for $142M. 

digressing for a sec, would this tea worse of had we kept bay and v-mart (even less than bay) and NOT signed the lacking in lackey? why not just have a healthy cameron in left with one of the youngsters or even darnell mac as his understudy (even in a platoon situation). thats what i love about belichick. just because you have the $ doesnt mean we must spend it. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: IS IT WRONG TO HOPE THAT LACKEY MISSES THE REST OF THE YEAR WITH ELBOW ISSUES SINCE IT WILL VOID HIS CONTRACT?

Is it wrong to make essay length HeadLines and all in caps?  Yes it is.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: IS IT WRONG TO HOPE THAT LACKEY MISSES THE REST OF THE YEAR WITH ELBOW ISSUES SINCE IT WILL VOID HIS CONTRACT?

Yes it is wrong to think that.  Especially because all that happens to Lackey's deal is that a club option for the ML minimum is tacked on to the end of the deal.  The contract value would not be reduced in any way, shape, or form.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

wE CAN'T GET RID OF HIS CONTRACT IF HE IS HURT!  ONLY THE VALUE OF THE OPTION YEAR IS AFFECTED BY SIGNIFICANT TIME ON DL DUE TO ELBOW!  JUST THE VALUE OF THE OPTION YEAR....SO BETTER HOPE HE RECOVERS WELL!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

I voted Yes, which is to say, I believe it is wrong to wish that on Mr. Lackey.

He is a firy competitor witih good stuff.  That's why they signed him. That's why they wanted to lock him in to a long-term deal.

He needs to get to his pre-Red Sox form, though. Maybe Curt Young can do that.

I am in favor of giving him some time off to tend to his wife and family.  Whether or not he gets paid is none of my business.

But we need him healthy and attentive to detail. If this DL stay or some other mechanism affords him the opportunity to get right with his head and his arm and his family and his team and his fans, then I am all for it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer58. Show fireballer58's posts

summer of 67 get the stick out of your a.ss... this guy flat out sucks. horrible signing, anything to get him out off our team

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I believe all that would mean is we get him at ad ADDITIONAL YEAR (granted at the league min) but we get him for one more year. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

I believe it is wrong to wish any of the players on your team get hurt.  A couple of years back I left a game thread in disgust (on another forum) because people were cheering that Jon Lester got hurt in a game.  Then they were hoping Lugo got hurt too.  I can't understand that mentality.  I think it is better to think hope that Lackey get healthy and contribute to the Sox run to the playoffs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: IS IT WRONG TO HOPE THAT LACKEY MISSES THE REST OF THE YEAR WITH ELBOW ISSUES SINCE IT WILL VOID HIS CONTRACT?:
    [QUOTE]How do we know what the contact states? Has someone read the contact here?
    Posted by readsocks[/QUOTE]

Have fun.  Great site with contract details for all of MLB.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: IS IT WRONG TO HOPE THAT LACKEY MISSES THE REST OF THE YEAR WITH ELBOW ISSUES SINCE IT WILL VOID HIS CONTRACT?:
    [QUOTE]I voted Yes, which is to say, I believe it is wrong to wish that on Mr. Lackey. He is a firy competitor witih good stuff.  That's why they signed him. That's why they wanted to lock him in to a long-term deal. He needs to get to his pre-Red Sox form, though. Maybe Curt Young can do that. I am in favor of giving him some time off to tend to his wife and family.  Whether or not he gets paid is none of my business. But we need him healthy and attentive to detail. If this DL stay or some other mechanism affords him the opportunity to get right with his head and his arm and his family and his team and his fans, then I am all for it.
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly.

And let me add -- I'm a Red Sox fan. I root for all Red Sox fans to do well. I'm funny that way.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-yazzer. Show the-yazzer's posts

no, wishing that means you luv the SOX.
    is there something similar in CRAWFORD'S contract?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]How do we know what the contact states? Has someone read the contact here?
    Posted by readsocks[/QUOTE]
    • 5 years/$82.5M (2010-14), plus conditional 2015 option
      • signed by Boston as a free agent 12/16/09
      • $3.5M signing bonus
      • 10:$18M, 11:$15.25M, 12:$15.25M, 13:$15.25M, 14:$15.25M
      • 2015 club option at Major League minimum salary if Lackey misses significant time with surgery for pre-existing elbow injury in 2010-14
      • $0.5M assignment bonus if traded

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]no, wishing that means you luv the SOX. is there something similar in CRAWFORD'S contract?
    Posted by the-yazzer[/QUOTE]theo may have to eventually eat this guy's deal. at this rate if he's lost for the year to take care of his head or whatever, we have the best shot at winning. doubront or aceves could be much better. heck even andrew miller. perhaps he can get better next year and play for the minimum on 2015. geez, noneed for this deal on theo's part. same with theo. keeps making the danny ainge overreaction deals. u have perki and ur winning, y reivent the wheel. we had bay and others to nurse into the 4 spot. we could have gone after lee. heck if theres noone worthy of the big  $, like belichick one must move on. theo seems to think he must always blow all of his load. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I have a hard time anyone posted this knowing his wife is going through cancer treatments.
    Then anyone who really thinks he has an major DL elbow problem is not putting 2 and 2 together properly.
    Not saying he does not have an elbow issue just saying looks kind of obvious that the DL coincides with the news about his wife.

I believe he has a sore elbow/arm but not so bad as to put him on the DL under normal cicumstances. However because of his wife smart move is to rest and be with his wife.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

No, it's not wrong. In fact, it's the only hope to avoid the bust cost on this ill advised contract offer from Theo.

I wish they would keep Wakeifled on the real DL, instead of the de facto DL. He could then come off the DL and go 5 innings of waddle ball.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikzor. Show mikzor's posts

Not only is it wrong, it also confirms that you are a p.o.s.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]I have a hard time anyone posted this knowing his wife is going through cancer treatments. Then anyone who really thinks he has an major DL elbow problem is not putting 2 and 2 together properly. Not saying he does not have an elbow issue just saying looks kind of obvious that the DL coincides with the news about his wife. I believe he has a sore elbow/arm but not so bad as to put him on the DL under normal cicumstances. However because of his wife smart move is to rest and be with his wife.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

Jim,

Are you referring to something recent?  The only recent news regarding Lackey's wife was that Lackey said that "everything pretty much sucks right now".

The thread about Lackey's wife was made as an excuse for his poor performance thus far (right or wrong) using an article from February.

I agree that the DL stint and his wife are related, but I haven't seen any new news on the subject.  (If you have a link or something please let me know as I would love to be up to date).  Hopefully this is actually an elbow injury and not a sign that his wife is getting worse.  Thoughts and prayers are with the Lackey's.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]No, it's not wrong. In fact, it's the only hope to avoid the bust cost on this ill advised contract offer from Theo. I wish they would keep Wakeifled on the real DL, instead of the de facto DL. He could then come off the DL and go 5 innings of waddle ball.
    Posted by majorleague[/QUOTE]

And not be available for the first 15 days, and each 15 day stretch following one of his spot starts.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

Oh my goodness, Wakefield not available for the first 15 days, and each 15 days following a spot start. What will the Red Sox?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: IS IT WRONG TO HOPE THAT LACKEY MISSES THE REST OF THE YEAR WITH ELBOW ISSUES SINCE IT WILL VOID HIS CONTRACT? : theo may have to eventually eat this guy's deal. at this rate if he's lost for the year to take care of his head or whatever, we have the best shot at winning. doubront or aceves could be much better. heck even andrew miller. perhaps he can get better next year and play for the minimum on 2015. geez, noneed for this deal on theo's part. same with theo. keeps making the danny ainge overreaction deals. u have perki and ur winning, y reivent the wheel. we had bay and others to nurse into the 4 spot. we could have gone after lee. heck if theres noone worthy of the big  $, like belichick one must move on. theo seems to think he must always blow all of his load. 
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

That's revisionist history if I've ever seen it.  The fact of the matter is that the Celtics DIDN"T have Perk and were winning (Perk was hurt).  They moved Perk (once healthy) figuring that they would continue winning without him.... they didn't.

Also do you really want to call up someone who is walking 7 batters per  9 innings?  Doubront is on the DL, and Aceves needs to be stretched out (we may have seen that starting last night).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Yes, it is wrong.  Lackey, current era of over 8 notwithstanding, can still contribute.  And, as Peter Abraham points out, there aren't a lot of other options right now. 

Not sure I agree that getting Lackey was a big mistake, but I do think trading Masterson to Cleveland to get V-Mart short-term probably was a mistake. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Oh my goodness, Wakefield not available for the first 15 days, and each 15 days following a spot start. What will the Red Sox?
    Posted by majorleague[/QUOTE]

If the Sox knew when they would need him, then it wouldn't really be a spot start, would it?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Just one more example of a poorly researched OP...from a lazy poster.

Sections
Shortcuts