Is Jason Varitek a Hall of Famer?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

Re: Is Jason Varitek a Hall of Famer?

not bad for a first inning, only 2 runs 3 hits a walk and 32 pitches....he might make the third inning today.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

In Response to Re: Is Jason Varitek a Hall of Famer?:
    [QUOTE]not bad for a first inning, only 2 runs 3 hits a walk and 32 pitches....he might make the third inning today.
    Posted by can-you-dig-it[/QUOTE]

Has to work out some kinks....when are Buch and Lester going next?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

Lester is 10-4 with a very low era and Buch is 6-3 wiht a low era as well.  Hughes has a 14.29 era and has zero wins.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]Lester is 10-4 with a very low era and Buch is 6-3 wiht a low era as well.  Hughes has a 14.29 era and has zero wins.

yeah but when are they pitching?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

Wake is now ahead 2-1 and Hughes is still losing 2-0

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]Wake is now ahead 2-1 and Hughes is still losing 2-0

What does that have to do with when Buch and Lester's next start is?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

I am keeping you updated on the scores because you asked earlier.  I assume you don't have access to the scores, why else would you ask me to get them for you?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]I am keeping you updated on the scores because you asked earlier.  I assume you don't have access to the scores, why else would you ask me to get them for you?

I told you just before only a few posts ago, I am watching the Yankee game.  I guess you have no idea when Buch and Lester's next start is, thats ok.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

so why are you asking me for scores if you are watching baseball on tv.  you make no sense............and since you have it on now, who is up for the yankees, last I checked they had 2 men on base, I think Posada was up.  how did he do?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

[QUOTE]so why are you asking me for scores if you are watching baseball on tv.  you make no sense............and since you have it on now, who is up for the yankees, last I checked they had 2 men on base, I think Posada was up.  how did he do?
    not so hot, a low juice day cydi

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]so why are you asking me for scores if you are watching baseball on tv.  you make no sense............and since you have it on now, who is up for the yankees, last I checked they had 2 men on base, I think Posada was up.  how did he do?

I asked you for the Sox score, for a Sox fan you don't know much about your team.  I mean does Buch go tomorrow and Lester in a few days?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

The RS dont win multiple championships without Tek behind the plate, with that said he is not a MLB HOF but he is worthy of being a RS HOF. 

He is now mentoring Salty and is having a pretty decent year for a part time player.  I have a feeling he will be back for another year.  The young catchers in the system are not ready and Salty is the everyday.  So wihile Tek is still a good defensive catcher who calls a great game, he is more valuable to the pitching staff as a whole. then his overall numbers.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

Wait is it 3-2 Blue Jays....did YOU forget to give me that update?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

[QUOTE]After last nights play, he's in, first ballot...
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

The umpire blew the call....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Jason Varitek a Hall of Famer? : The umpire blew the call....
    Posted by heobrien[/QUOTE]
    Yup.  He was safe.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from beanysnack. Show beanysnack's posts

In Response to Is Jason Varitek a Hall of Famer?:
    [QUOTE]by John Beattie/NESN There's a good chance that Jason Varitek 's name will be mentioned in the same breath as many of the all-time Red Sox greats. The captain will one day enter the Red Sox Hall of Fame when his career is all said and done, but will Tek be invited to Cooperstown? No. 33 has been a fixture in the Sox dugout and behind the dish every year since 1998 -- technically his second year with the club, after being acquired from the Mariners at the trade deadline in 1997 when he played one game with the Sox. In Boston, Tek is a God. Throughout baseball, he's one of the most respected elder-statesman in the league and despite never hitting over .300 in any single season, he's strung together Hall of Fame catcher-like numbers during his prime. Like all other Hall of Fame debates, it's tough to compare Tek to the 13 current Cooperstown backstops. Sure, guys like Johnny Bench, Yogi Berra and Carlton Fisk have better numbers than Varitek, but as we all know -- and have a tough time coping with, when it comes down to the old "should he or shouldn't he" debate -- it's a different game than it was when those legends manned the dish. That being said, Tek also has the edge in a few major offensive stats (batting average, on-base percentage, slugging percentage, home runs, RBIs, runs scored) against a handful of current Hall of Fame catchers. As seen on Tuesday night, Tek's defensive prowess will only boost his chances of getting the nod to baseball immortality -- as will his two World Series rings. An MLB-record four no-hitters caught is impressive to many and will help his cause, but his importance to the Sox pitching staff can barely be summed up by numbers. That angle may be hard to fathom by some voters. Does Jason Varitek, who owns a career .258 BA, 187 home runs, 739 RBIs, 651 runs scored and a .778 OPS, belong in the Hall of Fame? 
    Posted by -EdithBunker-[/QUOTE]

RIGHT JASON VARITEK=AWKWARD MEDIOCRE CATCHER.  NO HOFAME IN HIS GAME

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from b12696. Show b12696's posts

Nope. One of the best Red Sox of all time and arguably the best Red Sox catcher ever, but as a lot of writers here like to say, it is the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of "Very Good". Very good defensive catcher in his prime. Great hitting catcher in his prime and good overall hitter his prime. He is a legend when it comes to the handling of a pitching staff. If Lance Parish isn't in the HOF, Varitek shouldn't and won't get in.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

The question posed isn't "will Tek get in" but is he a HOF'er?
    If you limit it to his offensive numbers, no.
    If you consider what he himself has prioritized throughout his career, yes.
    If he thought hitting was more important than getting the most out of his pitching staff, he'd have devoted much more time to it and I believe his numbers would be different.

Instead, we have numbers like:
    Beckett with Tek: 67-29
    Beckett w/o Tek: 11-14.

Lester now has shutdown performances with Tek in 60% of his starts since 2010.
    Tek's numbers with every pitcher that has a credible frame of reference show a wide disparity to Tek's counterparts, be it a starter like VMART or any back-up.

The team plays .600 ball with Tek starting - over 13 straight years.
    They play appx. .500 ball when Tek doesn't start.

At every level of play, from little league on up, he has been instrumental in championships won.

It all comes down to what 'voters' prioritize.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

No

Here are Yogi's, Fisk and Teks #'s

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OKTSME. Show OKTSME's posts

You have to consider his two World Series Titles and the fact he is the only catcher to call 4 no-hitters in his career. It adds to his resume, but still think it would be a stretch for him to be in Cooperstown. Still is our beloved captain.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]No Here are Yogi's, Fisk and Teks #'s
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

Tek has two things over Fisk - and both shine rather brightly when polished.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

True

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

As I said, T, it's a matter of what one prioritizes.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]As I said, T, it's a matter of what one prioritizes.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Are you a believer in the 2000 hit minimum to get in H?  That's what I believe would keep him out.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from The---Babe---. Show The---Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Jason Varitek a Hall of Famer? : Are you a believer in the 2000 hit minimum to get in H?  That's what I believe would keep him out.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

I knew it was only a matter of time before harness would change this into a CERA debate. The guy is relentless with that nonsense. Puts people to sleep.

Sections
Shortcuts