Is Jason Varitek a Hall of Famer?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

Re: Is Jason Varitek a Hall of Famer?

i'm surprised mr abraham, the ultimate theo boot-licker, hasn't polled whether theo blunder should be in the HOF or not.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I wonder if Harness consulted on this story.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Jason Kendall has a better shot at the HOF than Varitek! Except for the HRs, he cleans Tek's clock on the other stats.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

In Response to Re: Is Jason Varitek a Hall of Famer?:
    [QUOTE]I could have sworn that Ellie howard was in the HoF.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Not to mention John Roseboro from those phenomenal Dodgers teams of the same period.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Jason Varitek a Hall of Famer? : Not to mention John Roseboro from those phenomenal Dodgers teams of the same period.
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]

Roseboro's stats are mediocre, but he was a fine defensive backstop!
    Mike Piazza should be a shoe-in!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Jason Varitek a Hall of Famer? : Roseboro's stats are mediocre, but he was a fine defensive backstop! Mike Piazza should be a shoe-in!
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Agree on Piazza. No way on Varitek.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Let's just put in every Red Sox player who lasted 15 seasons.

This is the ultimate disrespect for baseball thread I have ever read.

I think Varitek is a terrific catcher, but he doesn't stack up against Hall of Fame caliber players by a long shot.

His biggest attribute is that he played a long time. Baseball does not require winning a World Series and playing for over 15 years to get in the Hall. It requires BETTER THAN AVERAGE HITTING, FIELDING , RUN PRODUCTION OR TOP NOTCH PITCHING NUMBERS.

Varitek does not have exceptional numbers. He has been a "bottom of the lineup hitter" his whole career. He doesn't even rank among the best 25 catchers of the last 30 years years, let alone of all time.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]if they let rizzuto and gossage in, then the bars been lowered enough for V-TEK.
    Posted by the_yazzer[/QUOTE]

Varitek has roughly 300 less career hits than Rizzuto and has a career batting average that is 15 points lower than Rizzuto's.  The bar would be lowered even further if Varitek were let in.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Love the guy. But no.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Let's just put in every Red Sox player who lasted 15 seasons. This is the ultimate disrespect for baseball thread I have ever read. I think Varitek is a terrific catcher, but he doesn't stack up against Hall of Fame caliber players by a long shot. His biggest attribute is that he played a long time. Baseball does not require winning a World Series and playing for over 15 years to get in the Hall. It requires BETTER THAN AVERAGE HITTING, FIELDING , RUN PRODUCTION OR TOP NOTCH PITCHING NUMBERS. Varitek does not have exceptional numbers. He has been a "bottom of the lineup hitter" his whole career. He doesn't even rank among the best 25 catchers of the last 30 years years, let alone of all time.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Z, Like I said -- I'm in agreement with you that I don't think Tek is worthy for the Hall. (I say this w/o really looking at the numbers of catchers in the Hall and other catchers no in who might be worthy).

But other than that you seem to be in your hyperbole best. First you use Etchebarren and Scioscia as a comparison. Now you're saying he's not among the best 25 catchers in the last 30 years.

Really?

Tek might not be a Hall of Famer but he's certainly in the top 25 of catchers of the past 30 years. Name 25 catchers who were better.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from The---Babe---. Show The---Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]I could have sworn that Ellie howard was in the HoF.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

That doesn't suprise me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Along with Andy Etchebarren and Mike Scoscia, I would add Jerry Grote. So yes to RS HOF and no to Cooperstown.
    Posted by SanCap[/QUOTE]

Yes, exactly, Red Sox Hall of Fame for sure but no Cooperstown. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Ever hear of Lance Parrish?  324 home runs, won three gold gloves and made 8 all star teams.  He isn't in.  Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

Career   

Parrish   .252 / .313 /  .440 / .753

Tek  .258 / .342 / .436 / .778

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

Tek was the captain of two world championship teams and will probably be captain of  a third this season.  how many catchers can claim 3 wolrd championships plus have his pitch calling ability plus his power numbers.......please, name just one.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]Tek was the captain of two world championship teams and will probably be captain of  a third this season.  how many catchers can claim 3 wolrd championships plus have his pitch calling ability plus his power numbers.......please, name just one.
    Posted by can-you-dig-it[/QUOTE]

power numbers??  and how is he going to get a 3rd ring, I don't think the Yankees are looking to trade for him.......how many rings does Posada have?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

but posada can't even catch anymore and he doesn't have the power numbers of Tek and he definately can not call a game like Tek.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]but posada can't even catch anymore and he doesn't have the power numbers of Tek and he definately can not call a game like Tek.

I don't want Posada catching he is 39 years old, Varitek is not the Sox starting catcher as for power numbers Posada has 270 home runs and 1049 RBI's compared with Varitek's 187 home runs and 739 RBI's.  Posada's career batting average is also 16 points higher....and we know the ring situation.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

but Tek calls a great game.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]but Tek calls a great game.

I'm not denying that.  That doesn't make him a hall of famer or even close to a hall of famer, there have been many major league catchers that called a great game that don't go to the hall of fame.  The Sox may retire his number due to what he has meant to them but he isn't a hall of famer.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

so you agree, it's about time you came to your centses

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]so you agree, it's about time you came to your centses

I didn't agree, I pointed out how your comparison was incorrect.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

but Tek calls a great game AND has 3 world series rings AND has great offensive numbers

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]but Tek calls a great game AND has 3 world series rings AND has great offensive numbers

He has 2 rings and mediocre offensive numbers.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

3 after this year and you better check his numbers again against other catchers

Sections
Shortcuts