Is Jason Varitek a Hall of Famer?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Re: Is Jason Varitek a Hall of Famer?

Here is a perfect example of HOF stats.  Dig 'em!

G         PA      AB     R       H       2B    3B     HR   RBI   SB   CS  BB       SO     BA    OBP    SLG   OPS 
    1661671158168771588239623856314958651398.273 .351.355 .706  

Behold the immortal Scooter.   Awesome. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: Is Jason Varitek a Hall of Famer?:
    The question posed isn't "will Tek get in" but is he a HOF'er? If you limit it to his offensive numbers, no. If you consider what he himself has prioritized throughout his career, yes. If he thought hitting was more important than getting the most out of his pitching staff, he'd have devoted much more time to it and I believe his numbers would be different. Instead, we have numbers like: Beckett with Tek: 67-29 Beckett w/o Tek: 11-14. Lester now has shutdown performances with Tek in 60% of his starts since 2010. Tek's numbers with every pitcher that has a credible frame of reference show a wide disparity to Tek's counterparts, be it a starter like VMART or any back-up. The team plays .600 ball with Tek starting - over 13 straight years. They play appx. .500 ball when Tek doesn't start. At every level of play, from little league on up, he has been instrumental in championships won. It all comes down to what 'voters' prioritize.
    Posted by harness

Good post Harness.

It does come to what the voters priortize, and unfortunately, they priortize offensive categories.  IMO, Varitek has been indispensable to the Red Sox pitchers during his tenure here, but he does not have the credentials to get voted in.  As many have said, yes to the Red Sox HOF, but no to Cooperstown.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from j-m-. Show j-m-'s posts

"Tek was the captain of two world championship teams and will probably be captain of  a third this season.  how many catchers can claim 3 wolrd championships plus have his pitch calling ability plus his power numbers.......please, name just one."

Tek is not an HOF.  And you can't give a guy a WS ring in July.

But three WS rings with power and pitch calling.  How about the greatest baseball player ever!

Yogi Berra.  He was the catcher for eight World Series wins - also collecting two other rings while no the full time catcher.

Berra was a three time MVP, while finishing second twice.  Led NYY in RBI for seven years in a row.  Averaged .285/27/109 for his career - Tek's never topped 27 HR or 109 RBI in any season. 

Oh, Yogi also served with the US Navy in WWII on D-Day.

In most other leagues, NFL/NBA/NHL, the top players are defined by the championships.  For example, Russell over Chamberlain, Brady over Manning, etc...

With that winning comes first logic, Yogi Berra becomes the greatest baseball player of all time.

And yet, Berra wasn't a first ballot HOF, and is rarely mentioned as being equal to Mays, Aaron, Ruth, etc...Maybe, baseball people hang onto their stats a little too much?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Is Jason Varitek a Hall of Famer? : Are you a believer in the 2000 hit minimum to get in H?  That's what I believe would keep him out.
    Posted by tcal2-

Good question. I think every HOF eligibility has to be seen through it's own merits.
    Trying to divide Tek into different categories and using only one - his offense - is ridiculous. Let those who have pitched to him over the last 13 years tell you why.

Tek may arguably be the best catcher handling pitchers of his genre. To ignore this says more about the voting process than anything else.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Is Jason Varitek a Hall of Famer? : Good question. I think every HOF eligibility has to be seen through it's own merits. Trying to divide Tek into different categories and using only one - his offense - is ridiculous. Let those who have pitched to him over the last 13 years tell you why. Tek may arguably be the best catcher handling pitchers of his genre. To ignore this says more about the voting process than anything else.
    Posted by harness

Agreed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

Tek was the captain of two world championship teams and will probably be captain of  a third this season.  how many catchers can claim 3 wolrd championships plus have his pitch calling ability plus his power numbers.......please, name just one.
    Posted by can-you-dig-it

ummm.... a guy name Yogi?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Ever hear of Lance Parrish?  324 home runs, won three gold gloves and made 8 all star teams.  He isn't in.  Posted by snakeoil123
    Career     Parrish   .252 / .313 /  .440 / .753 Tek  .258 / .342 / .436 / .778
    Posted by tom-uk

Yeah umm did you miss the part where I said Parrish had 324 home runs and won three gold gloves and made 8 all star teams?  Good job at digging up the OBP though.

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In Response to Re: Is Jason Varitek a Hall of Famer? : Career     Parrish   .252 / .313 /  .440 / .753 Tek  .258 / .342 / .436 / .778 Posted by tom-uk
    Yeah umm did you miss the part where I said Parrish had 324 home runs and won three gold gloves and made 8 all star teams?  Good job at digging up the OBP though.
    Posted by snakeoil123

I quoted you Snake b/c I think looking at the homers in isolation is a mistake, the difference of .004 in SLG% tells more of the whole story.  Granted Varitek benefited from double friendly Fenway.  They are about even in doubles with 2000 less AB for Tek.  Gold gloves mean close to nothing to me.

Parrish played in an era of less offense (better pitching and/or less PED filled hitters?), he did out-perform his peers by more than Tek.

You are right Parrish gets in well before Tek.
  •  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Is Jason Varitek a Hall of Famer? : Yeah umm did you miss the part where I said Parrish had 324 home runs and won three gold gloves and made 8 all star teams?  Good job at digging up the OBP though. Posted by snakeoil123
    I quoted you Snake b/c I think looking at the homers in isolation is a mistake, the difference of .004 in SLG% tells more of the whole story.  Granted Varitek benefited from double friendly Fenway.  They are about even in doubles with 2000 less AB for Tek.  Gold gloves mean close to nothing to me. Parrish played in an era of less offense (better pitching and/or less PED filled hitters?), he did out-perform his peers by more than Tek. You are right Parrish gets in well before Tek.
    Posted by tom-uk

But home runs and gold gloves mean everything to HOF voters.  They want gaudy stats that they can point to as a reason that they voted someone in.  Not intangibles.  I was surprised though to see how close they were in slugging percentage.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

L.Parrish played from from 1977 to 1995. It was a hitter's era. It was a ptl. steroid era.
    For those who missed Tom's post:
    Parrish: 324 HR    7067 AB   .252 BA  .313 OBP  .440 SLG  .753 OPS
    Tek:     187 HR    5000 AB  .258 BA  .342 OBP  436 SLG  .778 OPS

Tek's numbers are better offensively overall. The HR per AB ratio favors Parrish, but not by a significant margin. Tek has more accolades. If Parrish gets in, Tek gets in.

• This post has been removed.

• Sections
    Shortcuts