is JBJ's defense worth the offensive tradeoff?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Re: is JBJ's defense worth the offensive tradeoff?

In response to CommyContrarianOnTwitter's comment:

methinks YES! just the confience he gives the defense must motivate pitvhers like lack who are flyballers or lester. with vic-jbj-homes/na.. should b enough on D to overcome any o shortage. nava is a lava at the plate, ball just explodes off his bat!

"Bringing Boston-Strong vodka to team-hating jabronis and da Comrade-Soft Kool-aid Party!"

..and that's da Bawston SPORTS bottom line for the Commy says so! COMMY COMMY COMMY COMMY COMMY CONTRARIAN, HE COMES AND GOES, HE COMES AND GOES...

Follow da Commy on Twitter: @commyCon, @commyConSox, @commyConPats, @commyConCeltics, and @CommyConImages (got any Boston sports imagery to share?)

Not yet, let play with minimal pressure...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

perhaps he is starting to  hit a little

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Lester waited for him before going into the dugout after that play.  I think the pitchers are happy to have him out there.  When he is out there in center it is "Where Triples go to Die".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

You really want to carry a guy w/ a 200 BA ?  Bob Boone behind the plate - maybe but even that would be a stretch.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

No. He has to hit better than he has. Be patient. He will.

Stabbed by Foulke.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

No. He has to hit better than he has. Be patient. He will.

Stabbed by Foulke.

I could get JBJ out.  You know how?  Fast balls up and in.  Just keep hitting that spot.  My fastball might top out at 80, he'll know it's coming, but he'll still miss it.  He can not hit that pitch.  Watch as more teams will take that approach.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

I don't understand... Iggy was a better hitter than Jackie but yet everyone complained about him...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Granted I love the defense and the fact this team has a CF with a man arm is great. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

I don't understand... Iggy was a better hitter than Jackie but yet everyone complained about him...

ah but the brain trust here think that JBJ is a better hitter than Iggy....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

There is no tradeoff. Who would you play instead? Sizemore? No. Case closed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

No. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

I still say this is the defensive CF I have seen since Paul Blair, that play last night was ridiculous.  However I have never seen a major leaguer strike at a the rate he does.  He is literally a strike out machine.    If he could cut down on the strike outs and hit a consistent 240 nobody would complain.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If you think he might have saved about 6 hits over the average MLB CF'er so far this year, and you added 6 hits to his BA, he's be at about .260.

I think he's saved more than 6- some of them doubles.

I certainly do not see JBJ as the weakest link on this team, but he's also not a big plus either... so far.

Sox4ever

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gibsonsg. Show gibsonsg's posts

If the rest of our offense were hitting like they did last year then JBJ's struggles so far wouldn't hurt as much and there might be more patience with the youngster. But we knew we needed all the kids to pull their weight right away to compete. Hopefully there's still time.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Right now, since we have absolutely ZERO OPTIONS to replace him, I'm ok with him where he's at.  It is what it is.  Now, we just have to pray that he has some learning curve against mlb pitching.  If not, we're in some trouble for the next few years.

The whole lineup does seem to be showing signs of life?????  

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Moon, I think that catch the other night may have saved the game, may have saved an inside the park HR depending how close Nava or Size may have been backing up the play. He's really a special player along the lines of Paul Blair and Fred Lynn.

As I said in another thread yesterday--with all the positive media and the national attention that play has rec'd, this may turn his whole season around. That catch and throw may ultimately turn his career around. He may be able to look back on that one instance as the day I became a true major leaguer. Sometimes that's all it takes.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i remember Dwight Evans struggling for more than a few years at the plate before figuring it out...patience - this guy is worth it

As always - 100% correct!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Hopefully, this series is the start of JBJ heating up a little.

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

JBJ is their center fielder. Assuming Victorino comes back, the OF will look like:

Against Righties:

LF - Nava/Holt

CF - JBJ

RF - Victorino

Against Lefites:

LF - Gomes/ Holt

CF - JBJ

RF - Victorino

Sizemore will be released once Victorino comes back. There is no place for him now that Nava is hitting and he is redundant and not producing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Yes/No

Even world series caliber 1st division teams will have a weak hole or two in the lineup, and if they guy has superior defense at a premium position you just stick him in the 9 hole.  

JBJ stands out more because of the overall struggles of this team. So this year it is hard to answer that question with a yes, but all things considered the answer should be yes. 

He needs to hit better than he is now, but the bar is set much lower because of his defense so he doesn't have as far to go as some might say.  Given his overall age and experience I still believe his bat can at least develop enough to justify his defense.  JBJ could be a .250-.260 guy.

And who knows....one day he might even be a little more.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

The problem at this point in his career is his Strikeouts. That is a concern. Also his approach to hitting, especially in Fenway. He is not a slugger, so he should be using that wall big time. Also that will show me he is waiting on the ball.

First year in the Majors, I always think if a Rookie hits .250 he had a successful season. That tells me their will be improvement. Huge jump from the minors.

1 out of 4 and if that hit is in the Clutch, I'll be very happy. To reach .250 now he'll have to hit around .300 we'll see. Patience.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You really want to carry a guy w/ a 200 BA ?  Bob Boone behind the plate - maybe but even that would be a stretch.....

He will not be a .200 for long.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

If RF and LF produced, hit for some power, and made up for JBJR's hitting deficiencies, then he could be carried as the banjo hitting, good glove CF. But if LF, RF is Nava, Victorino, Sizemore, then you have some real issues as to what you really want in the outfield. Used to be that the OF was a team strength and now the offense seems to be centered around the IF and DH.

Sections
Shortcuts